• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

FX4 shifter handle dimensions

Aintskeered440

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Is there anyone out there who can give me the dimensions of an FX4 shifter handle? Since it is impossible to find one of these things, I have decided to go the route of trying to duplicate one… or at least its general shape. I would be super appreciative if someone could give me a breakdown of the dimensions. Or even better would be a picture of one next to a tape measure? Any info would be a great help, thank you😀👍

Aintskeered440

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
For instance these are the dimensions for the shifter handle on the hurst shifter for a ranger 98-2011. Pictures would be awesome, or something like this would also work👍
IMG_0483.png

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
maybe you can make two? ha ha ha

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Article from the Tech Library...

Have you looked at Core Shifter? They have short throw shifters... perhaps not identical to the FX4 but I've never heard a bad word from anyone who has one.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
The junkyard that told me they have an fx4 manual truck is verifying for me. If they do, i will buy it snd get it this weekend. I will take pics for you and whatever measurement you need

Aintskeered440

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
And as far as core or hurst shifters… for the money, I would expect a lot less problems with them. Bolts back out and you’re having to retighten them. You have the venting issue where you need to modify the shifter to not build up pressure in the transmission. Then you’ve got the noise factor…

Some people love them and some people hate them. I just want to make a shifter handle the same dimensions as the stock fx4 one. Bolt it on and be good to go…

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Thats what i am kind of wondering about, that vent issue? How is that an issue after swapping to a hurst? Does the transmission not have a vent on its own?

Aintskeered440

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Look it up… there is a ton of info on the downsides of those hurst shifters. There are both upsides and downsides, both have been talked about a ton.

But that’s a different thread.

I’m just hoping someone will be nice enough to post the dimensions of a stock fx4 shifter

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
yeah, i read a ton on the different forums about the hurst shifter not venting, being loud, etc. i just don't understand how changing to the gets rid of a vent.

the junkyard still hasn't gotten back to me on the shifter. i tried to call them 3 more times and now they don't answer so i don't know if its going to happen.

the main issue, i think from working down there for three years, is that i don't speak spanish. the guy that answered didn't speak english primarily and i speak zero spanish so we were already kind of having a hard time but he said send a picture of the one i am looking for and he will go verify it. i was going to ask my wife to speak to him if they would answer the phone, as she is from down there and speaks spanish fluently, but, the phone is not being answered.

Aintskeered440

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The stock shifter vents through the boot itself. By swapping to a hurst shifter, its seals it off completely. That allows the pressure to build and start leaking from the various gaskets.

There’s a simple fix for this. But you have to cut a channel in the housing for the shifter on the transmission. At least that was the simplest solution I found.

And when it comes to finding one if those shifters it’s impossible. I promise that yard doesn’t have it. At least no Spanish speaking yard will. All those trucks were sold up north. The Canadian yards have them not the southern Spanish speaking ones👍

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
the truck in their add says fx4 on the bed and they list it as a standard transmission so thats why i wanted them to verify it for me.

i have seen fx4s here. those guys drive all over the usa and haul vehicles down to sell in mexico.

i see so many vehicles for sale in the rio grand valley that are from up north by the title. you show up to buy it and he title is in the name and signed by the person they bought it from up in minnesota or north dakota because they get them cheap and don't want to pay to do the paperwork so they drive them till the registration sticker goes out and then sell them like they own them.

and they are all rusted out, being a northern vehicle.

but, we do have fx4 trucks here. people buy them in south texas because they hunt and fish down the island so they have to have 4x4 and all that stuff.

especially here in corpus christi. here, its like everyone is keeping up with the jones. framers and concrete guys are driving king ranch f250s, all beat to death, but still king ranch models, walmart and mcdonald's employees are driving lariats and high trim level f150s. people here just buy the highest trim on the lot.

i was test driving raptors the last couple days and also checking out the new rangers, mavericks, and f150s and all the three ford dealers have on the lots are xlt and higher trim. no xl, no work truck trim, nothing but high end. i don't want a high trim like that so i have to go to san antonio, houston, or the valley dealers to find normal trucks. (my wife wants the raptor, it was cool but i don't have any need for one)

Aintskeered440

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Anything is possible… I’m just letting you know I’ve only found about 6 Ranger FX4 level II’s in the United States salvage yards. And the one furthest south was in Colorado.

I’ve found many more FX4’s… but the level II is a rare animal found almost exclusively up north😝

Aintskeered440

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
image.jpg
The one in Colorado is where I found my black dash. I was able to swap a 2003 FX4 level II dash into a 1999 Ranger. It wasn’t very easy, but believe it or not it was a direct swap😀👍

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
that looks super cool

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals