• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

whine noise from subs

Heavyfire14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I got a pari of 6x8 alpines to replace my back factory speakers i was going to hook them into my amp because i have another channel free its a two channel amp bridged to two subs so i have another channel and i was thinking about putting both speakers in one channel so it wouldnt be over powered.i could use my amp on lpf right now until i hook my alpines up then buy a ground loop isolator i think that will fix the whine noise.
when a amp is bridged your technically using both channels.

and you would need a seperate amp for the speakers or get a special jl audio 3 channel amp wich is meant to do that.

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Ok it whines when it is running only on hpf or full and it gets louder when you push the gas or turn the lights on or heater.But its not the alternator whining.so any other ideas?

Heavyfire14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
its some kind of interference... or maybe it could be your amp.. borrow an amp from a friend, hook it up and see if it still does it.

kcm1582

Ford Technician
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That kinda sounds like its coming from the ground. Check all of the ground loop, cab to frame, and frame to battery. Sometimes with larger amps the factory grounds can't handle the extra current flow from the amp and it can cause system noise.

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
okay i still havent found it i put in my new rcas and moved the rcas and switch wire away from the power wire. and still does it. it whines with the motor so when you rev it up the whine goes up to.Will a ground loop isolator fix this or what else could i try? i also moved the ground wire still nothing.

91rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 and 2002
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 ohv and sohc
Transmission
Manual
I would get a different amp to run your alpine speakers, a sub is meant to be played on low pass, if not you risk damaging your sub by playing frequencys that it is not designed to. I know its already been said on this post. It would be easier to get two seperate amps imo.

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Okay i tried another amp and ive been through all of my wiring what else could i try ground loop isolator?

Heavyfire14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
if its not too expensive then it probally wouldnt hurt to try

basshead

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 bored
Transmission
Automatic
It's your ground wire.. If u wire your amp wire and your cd deck wire need to be the same ground and that won't happen
i would never ground my amp wire and my deck ground together...lol

DFracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
its your spark plugs, you need the resistor type

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
I know this is a old post but anyone have any ideas? I am going to disconnect my subs and run my two 6x8 alpines off this amp until i get another amp. The radio antenna wire also has spark if i put it in when i have my power going to my headunit. is the antenna wire the ground for the headunit or where is the headunit ground at?

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Last edited:

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Ok today i put in a brand new switch wire from the amp to the radio and brand new rca cables from the amp to radio. Also moved both of the away from the power wire. Still did not help at all. In the speakers connected to my amp you can hear the engine running like a whining noise. I thought it might be the alternator but the alternator is brand new. So what else could it be? A bad ground? What grounds do i need to check and where are they located? Also does the headunit use the antenna wire as a ground or another wire for ground? Please help I'm lost.

kcm1582

Ford Technician
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok today i put in a brand new switch wire from the amp to the radio and brand new rca cables from the amp to radio. Also moved both of the away from the power wire. Still did not help at all. In the speakers connected to my amp you can hear the engine running like a whining noise. I thought it might be the alternator but the alternator is brand new. So what else could it be? A bad ground? What grounds do i need to check and where are they located? Also does the headunit use the antenna wire as a ground or another wire for ground? Please help I'm lost.

I still think you might have a ground issue. Disconnect your ground from your amp and the battery ground, take an ohm reading between the two ends, anything over one ohm is too much. The antenna wire is an output for a powered antenna, if you don't have a powered antenna then just cap off the wire and leave it as is. Your radio ground should be the only solid black wire coming out of the back of the head unit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals