• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

wheel bearings/general questions

nugggster2003

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I do a ton of surf fishing here in va/nc and on a recent trip the other day onto the beach. I was traversing a stretch that was flooded due to the 7 inches of rain a few days beforehand. i was told the water wasnt too deep and proceeded through. its ocean water mind you. it was around 6 inches deep and then suddenly the bottom fell out and i was headlights deep with it above the bottom of my doors crawling throu. I managed not to get stuck and got through fine.
I took my truck to the local carwash to rinse it off. my truck is an 08 xlt with 4wd & 4 liter. I just sit here wondering now if I should get the wheelbearings repacked or the truck looked at in general as the thought of ocean water & the suspension is eating at me.

should i get the wheel bearings repacked, or what?

am i over reacting?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
your truck will be gone inside a few years if you keep driving it in salt water...if not from rust or electrical shorts (fire), then from getting it stuck in a tidal zone.

if you care at all for that truck, stay well away from the water when you go down to the beach.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
However, to answer your question, since you completely immersed in the water, you should definately check out the wheel bearings. While your at it you should check the rear diff fluid. By check I mean change. There is no such thing as too much preventative maintenance.

Zorro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Make sure you rinse your truck as much as you can.

I'd check the bearings, as well as the breathers for the diffs.

Soon enough, you'll know how your truck handles that kinda driving. Most likely not too well ... which means maintenance, maintenance and maintenance.

In summer, I usually repack my bearings every other week, but my old ttb front end sucks from the get-go.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Guys, he's got an 08 4x4, meaning he's got sealed bearing assemblies. No repacking or replacing necessary in this case.

Just give the front drivetrain a good washing knuckle to knuckle to get all the salt out.

Replace the front and rear differential fluids (gear oil) as stated above.

Other than that, I would try not to get too close to the water.

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you dident wash it good you will see rust in a couple of days.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
+1 on staying out of the salt water.water up to the headlights can hydrolock your motor also

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Because the truck is new ('08), I would say you'll probably be OK on the bearings and fluids (as long as you did not submerge the breather hoses).
Like everyone else said, salt water turns trucks into heaps of iron oxide (aka rust) quicker than you can wash it off. Don't make a habit of that, and spray it down as thoroughly as you can (be careful not to direct the high-pressure spray at the bearings & seals while spraying it down, that can drive water into them as well)

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
no matter how well you spray a truck down after driving through saltwater, you will not get all the salt out. it creeps into tight areas, between crossmembers and the frame, into the threads of bolts, underneath rivets, ect....while rinsing the truck down is better than nothing, its life will still be dramatically shortened by driving through saltwater.

its also a very risky idea driving down in the inter-tidal zone. no matter how sure you are or how capable your truck is, you can (and will) still get stuck while off roading. and if you happen to be within reach of the tide when it comes in...

every now and then stuff like this happens down here...ive seen the aftermath first hand and it would make me sick if it was my car.

Madracingalley

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Volvo....
Engine Size
2.4L T5
Transmission
Automatic
Just use a toyota near the water It' will rot just as fast as when it came off the boat from japan toyotas are DISPOSABLE Its not even worth capitalizing the name

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals