• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What to do with aging explorer

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I don't do that kind of thing tho lol. I'm not a trail rider. I replaced a couple things on it yesterday, and am going to clean the carpets today with my steam cleaner.
Anyone know of anything that will get like grease stains and stains in general off the panels (IE: door panels, etc)?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
dollar tree around here has a thing called l.a's totally awesome. its a buck!!!! and it's made to be mixed with water before you you use it. and it works... well, AWESOME. lol. it works better than foaming engine degrease on a motor and frame. may want to water it down before you use it on interior.

and for a side not, realize what kind of trail that ex is on.. and it has the d35 ttb.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I just purchased my 94 sploder. It's got ball park 140k, 5spd, 4dr. It's a blast. If you think how much a payment would cost on a newer car (200-300/month), just set the money aside every month. Hold on to it and just fix'er up. It would give you a reliable vehicle that you know the history of, built exactly as you want it. I've always had RBV's. Treat them well, tell'em you love'em, WASH THEM. They will run for ever.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Clean under it good! Say no no to rust. My b2 has 260,000 on the truck. There's about 40,000 on my 4.0. The body is solid. Frame is solid. And for what it is it'll go anywhere I NEED it to. It may not go where I want it to always but it's on 30s and open axles.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
What is open axles? I have decided to keep it for now. The exhaust issue is not very important, tho I did find a hole in my muffler that is almost rusted completely thru in other areas as well. I pulled up on the corners of the heat shield, and that took care of the rattle. Now tho, I feel less power, can a hole in the muffler cause that?
I personally love the 5 speed, 4 door. I can take my dogs and us anywhere. Gonna have to clean underneath it good somehow, and then find that rust primer stuff.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
open axles- i was refering to open diff's. no positrack or locker. just one tire gets power.
check your PM's i just replyed to ya. for any one else reading
http://www.lastotallyawesome.com/
is what i refered to earlier. that stuff works great on frame's, wheels, tires, motors, 4 wheelers.. on other stuff i probably would mix with water first.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ahhh ok gotcha. I don't think I need the open axles. Don't do anything that drastic anyways lol.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Ahhh ok gotcha. I don't think I need the open axles. Don't do anything that drastic anyways lol.
just curious.. what axle code does your door sticker say?

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It says 45. Not sure what that means tho, lol.

Doesn't anyone know of someone parting out a '91 or '92 with a stock exhaust from cats on back that's in fairly decent shape? The local yards won't sell the muffler uncut.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
45= open 3.55 gears.. good road gear for gas mileage with stock tires.
i'd rather have the limited slip version but if you don't trail ride or anything open is fine.

and i wish i knew someone local parting out an ex 5 speed and manual trans.
most the time stock mufflers and tailpipes aint that expensive even at the autozone. go to a local muffler shop and just have a price quote done, i don't think it'll be as much as you think.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Duh, I forgot to even think about calling the muffler shops. Got 2 quotes, one for $80 installed for just the muffler, and the other for $85. For the muffler and piping its $150. I figured it would be a LOT more. Guess it's time to save :)

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
for any one else reading
http://www.lastotallyawesome.com/
is what i refered to earlier. that stuff works great on frame's, wheels, tires, motors, 4 wheelers.. on other stuff i probably would mix with water first.[/QUOTE]

This stuff is great! Got most of the stains out of my interior pieces that were dirty too! The grease stains are gone :) Looks great!

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Just becareful not to leave it on to long on interior plastic it will take the color out. But for a buck yousure can't beat it

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I wiped it off as soon as I cleaned the area. Works wonderful. Couldn't believe how much crap I got off those plastic pieces! At least that made me feel a bit better. Next thing: clean carpets and seats!

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i cleaned mine good with it. i had the carpet out and i soaked it in awesome and used the water hose on it... let it dry a few days.. idk if i would use it on the seats or not?...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals