• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What to do with aging explorer

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
what are the jobs you don't think you don't have the tools for?

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Let's see, the engine, tranny, body work, suspension work....all the hard stuff lol. I still haven't decided if I wanna keep it. I put it up for sale awhile back, but no go as of yet.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
so you have no tools? what's the price on it? and how far from memphis are you?

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I live in idaho. That's a lonnnggg way from tennessee. Asking 1600 and that's with the spare motor.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Its not really a tool issue for me. More of a time and money issue.

If I can't figure out what to do with it, or if it doesn't sell, then most likely I will drive it til something major happens then sell it for parts.

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i'd love to have it, i just can't go to idaho lol. just ship me the t/case lol j/k...
best of luck to ya, at what ever you decide to do. it'll be a good truck and it'll treat ya right with a lil love.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I know! Idaho is soooo far away from anywhere LOL! There are so many days where I wished I was in Arizona. Or New Mexico near my folks. I am too afraid to live back east lol.
I'm so undecided, one minute I say I'm just going to drive it til it goes, the next I'm 'selling' it, the next I'm fixing it.....its been a great rig really. Just gettin' old.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
at least just show it some love, maybe do some slow fix up on it just to clean it up nice and make a great DD out of it. if you do decide to sell it that way you might get a few more bucks out of it, if you wanna keep it- then you gain the benefits of the love

and i live in MS, just south of memphis; its not all bad lol. i don't know if i could live in idaho tho... lol. pretty country from what i hear.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I could fix it up slow...and hope that nothing major happens in the meantime lol. A clutch I can deal with, a tranny or engine, I dunno lol. We'll see. I try to keep it clean inside and out. I can't stand dust on my dashboards or dirt on my windows, so I'm kinda picky that way. First thing I'm gonna do is take off those blasted heat shields on the muffler and see if that fixes the damn rattle. If it doesn't, I'm saving for a new exhaust. THEN, I'm gonna fix the rust underneath.

Idaho is just boring, at least in Boise it is. There's alot to do outdoors, but not much in the way of big city living..Boise's hit past 200K people I think now. The town I live in has 14k people. Rural farms mixed in with subdivisions, its great LOL, NOT! I wanna move....tired of the neighborhood thing.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i'd much rather have that than being just south of memphis. i'm tired of the "big city"

if anything major happens, part it out or sell it whole. but you'll still be cheaper in the long run of trying to replace the ex with a newer one. and i'm not to into the newer ones anyways..

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I kinda like the newer style, 2000 and up.
If it comes to it, I'll part it out. probably get more money out of it that way anyways.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
you would.. jeep guys love the 8.8's, 4.0's sell pretty good around here, the manual trans and t/case are desirable, i'd love to have the trans and tcase myself

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hehe I'll keep that in mind ;)

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
if your going to part it out, Not that you should but if you do I call dibs on the shifter boots if its a stick shift and manual shift transfer case. :D

I think you should start with a good tune up, fresh fluids and a good cleaning of the interior and exterior (I'm talking steam cleaners and stuff.) THat will make it feel much better I garentee it.

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
Dont sell it give it some TLC(fix the things as you can) and build it up like this....

Mine is a 94 and has a little over 200k on it, and it gets wheeled hard(even with the automatic transmission).
Nothing is better to show up to a trail run in a "grocery getter" and then having everyone come up to you after it and tell you, you have a very capable rig(the JEEP guys do this to me as well):icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals