• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What sort of owner are you after all?

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I've been a member here for only a short while, but I've noticed that many of us are driving old trucks, namely Rangers made before 2012. A few of us may also own a Mazda or a Bronco II. We drive them because we love them. All well and good. They're practical, cheap, and sized like a true mini truck. They're easy to work on, and even fun to drive.

I have also noticed that there are different types of owners here. We tend to treat them in different ways that are well worth the mention. One is the crowd wo works them hard. Their trucks are pretty much the rusty, but trusty type. They may be scratched and dented, missing a part or two, but so what. These are no beauty queens. They've never been waxed or groomed. They do the job: haul tools and 2x4s, sod and bricks and gravel. They may even come with a winch. I'm not too sure but if I were to guess. The majority of us are the rusty but trusty rough and ready types. Maybe if anything they modify for towing, or remove the bed entirely to make it totally flat.

There is, however, another crowd who know all too well that these are the last of a breed. They know their trucks are getting long in the tooth, all too rapidly becoming relics of the past. These are the members who care to restore, preserve and protect, who do their best to keep their dearly beloveds from looking old, even work hard to make them look brand new. They replace, repaint, wax and re-wax. Who knows? By now they may have swapped an engine or two.

Then again there are plenty of creative types, guys who see stock as a starting point, who like to improve, modify and customize. The changes they make run the gambit, anything and everything from mild to wild. For the most part they can be divided in two different ways. One is ride height. Some love big wheels and tires. They lift their truck bodies probably for off road. They might add any number of options such as off road lighting, winces, tow hooks, brush guards, custom bumpers, and the like.

Some, however, drop them, get them low to the ground to improve their handling on the road or even the track. They might even go total truxarosa. making theirs a total racing machine. They like speed too, maybe a different engine, maybe a supercharger, loud pipes, a bed cover, maybe even a custom paint job.

Of course, there are many other possible combinations. Rangers are often as individuated as their owners. How about you? Please reply and post a picture or two.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
How dare you! I refuse to fit into your definitions!

I guess I'm owner type fluid.

For the Rangers. I've done mild lift with my '99 4wd, but mostly kept it stock for years. Now it's getting an engine swap and possibly lowered slightly. My '84 2wd was not stock, but nost of that was done by my dad back in the 80s to make it more reliable. Was getting ready to lower it slightly before I totaled it. The 85 is hopefully going to get a 2.3 turbo and lowered like the '84 was. Seems like mostly lowering, but I've also got my gears turning on if & how to turn an '86 cab and a bunch of parts into an offroad toy.

Moving away from the Rangers. My F-100 was modified before I got it. It's going to stay that way but preserve/maintain and upgrade. It's got a 2" body lift, which I'm eventually going to replace with a suspension lift. The worn out 360 is going to be rebuilt into a 390 with an overdrive, or swapped for a late model engine. Body is going to get restored close to stock. The F-250 is staying stock (excapt a tune chip) and maintained, might upgrade parts if it makes sense as things break.

For the most part they can be divided in two different ways. One is ride height.
If ride height is one, what is the other?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
One is the crowd wo works them hard. Their trucks are pretty much the rusty, but trusty type. They may be scratched and dented, rusty but trusty rough and ready types. Maybe if anything they modify for towing

There is, however, another crowd who know all too well that these are the last of a breed. They know their trucks are getting long in the tooth, all too rapidly becoming relics of the past. These are the members who care to restore, preserve and protect, who do their best to keep their dearly beloveds from looking old, even work hard to make them look brand new. They replace, repaint, wax and re-wax. Who knows? By now they may have swapped an engine or two.

Then again there are plenty of creative types, guys who see stock as a starting point, who like to improve, modify and customize. The changes they make run the gambit, anything and everything from mild to wild. For the most part they can be divided in two different ways. One is ride height. Some love big wheels and tires. They lift their truck bodies probably for off road. They might add any number of options such as off road lighting, winces, tow hooks, brush guards, custom bumpers, and the like.

Whatever category that puts me in I guess. I am working toward redoing the bodywork so I guess I am in both camps.

I joined a car club to force me to vacuum, dust and wax it at least once a year too... :secret:

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic

For the Rangers. I've done mild lift with my '99 4wd, but mostly kept it stock for years. Now it's getting an engine swap and possibly lowered slightly. My '84 2wd was not stock, but nost of that was done by my dad back in the 80s to make it more reliable. Was getting ready to lower it slightly before I totaled it. The 85 is hopefully going to get a 2.3 turbo and lowered like the '84 was. Seems like mostly lowering, but I've also got my gears turning on if & how to turn an '86 cab and a bunch of parts into an offroad toy.

Moving away from the Rangers. My F-100 was modified before I got it. It's going to stay that way but preserve/maintain and upgrade. It's got a 2" body lift, which I'm eventually going to replace with a suspension lift. The worn out 360 is going to be rebuilt into a 390 with an overdrive, or swapped for a late model engine. Body is going to get restored close to stock. The F-250 is staying stock (excapt a tune chip) and maintained, might upgrade parts if it makes sense as things break.

Road or off road

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic

Post a picture please

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Whatever category that puts me in I guess. I am working toward redoing the bodywork so I guess I am in both camps.

I joined a car club to force me to vacuum, dust and wax it at least once a year too... :secret:
Post a picture please

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Okay. Here's mine. A 2003 Ranger Edge: restored: newer paint and body work done, mildly modified: Efan, new wheels, larger tires, lowered 1* with a custom grill, winch, and fog lights, aluminum hood, after market head and tail lights, nerf bars, a tonneau, and an oak bed. The interior has leather seats, the bed is oak. It has stiffer sway bars, James Duff traction bars, twin exhausts, and a newer Torsen limited slip.

I know many of us have posted before, but we have lots of new members. It doesn't matter whether yours is rusty but trusty, restored, or modified. Older Rangers often tell a story. Each is special, and each a real beauty in its own right.
20231009_130545.jpg
20230417_115936.jpg

Attachments

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
my truck is stock and i like it but i also have a newer full size truck that has some mods. so i don't know where i fit into the list

86_FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
I've been a member here for only a short while, but I've noticed that many of us are driving old trucks, namely Rangers made before 2012. A few of us may also own a Mazda or a Bronco II. We drive them because we love them. All well and good. They're practical, cheap, and sized like a true mini truck. They're easy to work on, and even fun to drive.

I have also noticed that there are different types of owners here. We tend to treat them in different ways that are well worth the mention. One is the crowd wo works them hard. Their trucks are pretty much the rusty, but trusty type. They may be scratched and dented, missing a part or two, but so what. These are no beauty queens. They've never been waxed or groomed. They do the job: haul tools and 2x4s, sod and bricks and gravel. They may even come with a winch. I'm not too sure but if I were to guess. The majority of us are the rusty but trusty rough and ready types. Maybe if anything they modify for towing, or remove the bed entirely to make it totally flat.

Some, however, drop them, get them low to the ground to improve their handling on the road or even the track. They might even go total truxarosa. making theirs a total racing machine. They like speed too, maybe a different engine, maybe a supercharger, loud pipes, a bed cover, maybe even a custom paint job.

Of course, there are many other possible combinations. Rangers are often as individuated as their owners. How about you? Please reply and post a picture or two.
Rusty but trusty all the way!

I use my truck. Its a blend of looks, reliability and utility for me. I use it for work, for hauling personal items, camping out the back, getting dirty and some light 4x4. I enjoy rangers because they have been more than reliable and capable for me. It also is cheap to maintain and repair, and I appreciate the small size as cities get more and more congested with huge trucks and SUVs. I have also been in 2 significant accidents that left the vehicles completely totaled and both times I ended up without a scratch. I have also taken several roads trips over the 1000mi mark one way and it's been flawless, and has never left me stranded.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
IMHO - Single cab swb are the sexiest of all truck models, although they may be the unwanted step child to most ppl.

If and When I use my truck for truck stuff, I don't mind it getting dirty. I try not to dent the body panels, if I can help it. I like lowered trucks. I also like getting into a clean truck. Single cabs are easy to keep clean, but get dirty just as quick and easy.

I guess, in short, I like my trucks looking clean and pristine, but can get down and dirty when needed to.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
my truck is stock and i like it but i also have a newer full size truck that has some mods. so i don't know where i fit into the list
Post a picture of that older Ranger please. There seems to be fewer photos these days.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Mine is just treated as general purpose trucks with the ability to off road with most others. But I'm also not looking to get as big of a lift with as big of a mud tire I can squeeze on them either. They are setup up or are in the process getting setup to get the job done.

They are kept in as good of a condition as I can, with a big focus on preventative maintence.

They aren't show vehicles, they don't get babied, and they don't get thrashed. So I don't think I truely fit in any category. If I must be lumped into a category, off road is probably the closest.

Last edited:

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
IMHO - Single cab swb are the sexiest of all truck models, although they may be the unwanted step child to most ppl.

If and When I use my truck for truck stuff, I don't mind it getting dirty. I try not to dent the body panels, if I can help it. I like lowered trucks. I also like getting into a clean truck. Single cabs are easy to keep clean, but get dirty just as quick and easy.

I guess, in short, I like my trucks looking clean and pristine, but can get down and dirty when needed to.
I like regular cabs too. They've become increasingly rare. Post a photo please, especially for all the new members here.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Mine is just treated as general purpose trucks with the ability to off road with most others. But I'm also not looking to get as big of a lift with as big of a mud tire I can squeeze on them either. They are setup up or are in the process of getting the job done.

They are kept in as good of a condition as I can, with a big focus on preventative maintence.

They aren't show vehicles, they don't get babied, and they don't get thrashed. So I don't think I truely fit in any category. If I must be lumped into a category, off road is probably the closest.

I like that sun visor...the new wheels and the larger tires especially on the red Ranger.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I like that sun visor...the new wheels and the larger tires especially on the red Ranger.
Thanks. The visor was all me. The wheels are the originals that came with the truck. Obviously the tires aren't the original size.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals