• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
View attachment 105936finally got around to mocking up front cab mounts I had waterjetted
Question, never a criticism, how is the eye attached to the flange? Are those rivets? They look a little light, and the bolts look like they might be a little light. But that assumes somebody with my fat ass would be driving a thing…

1984RESTOMOD

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" BODY LIFT
Tire Size
33"
Question, never a criticism, how is the eye attached to the flange? Are those rivets? They look a little light, and the bolts look like they might be a little light. But that assumes somebody with my fat ass would be driving a thing…
Just mocked up w magnets. Still have to weld them together. Metric class 10.9 bolts - 1/2 diameter

Last edited:

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Found some leaks. Valve cover gaskets, oil pan, and the crankshaft main seal. So, I had those done and with it, flushed the cooling system, spark plugs, wires, EGR valve sensor, and an oil change.

And they found a crack in the A/C line so that was repaired too.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Drove it. We've had so much rain over the last two days, that I wasn't sure the roads would be passable in my car. Might not be in the truck either, but I've got a better chance of recovering with it. Roads were passible, but it's still raining.

We got a couple hour break from the rain about the time I got off work. That was nice. On Saturday a new pick-n-pull yard open up the road from work. Since rain was stopped I took the opportunity to browse and atempt to find a needed part for my upcoming swap project. The website showed a few Rangers and Explorers of the right vintage. They did not disappoint. Including their were 6-8 of the 99-03 vintage. A few of the 93-97 Rangers and B series. Even a 89-92 Ranger with another sitting in the prep yard that really looked too nice to be there, hopefully that means good parts for an even nicer one to stay on the road.

The main thing I was after was the C184 connector in the engine bay to modify a start/charge harness. Explorer has a same style connector for that location, unfortunately the genders are reversed and the harness is shorter. Female connector on Explorer start/charge harness, and Female connector on Ranger body harness, and about 8" between where they are located in the engine bay. (Ok maybe 6, but we all exaggerate a little right?) Same sex relationships may be accepted and common now, but that doesn't mean that the same flies in electrical. Either the Explorer harness needs to transition and add a few wires, or I need to make a therapist adapter harness to help the two work together. I'm going for the latter, but more on that will come in a potential build thread or seek out lil_Blue_Ford's build thread and youtube videos. @lil

Fortunately all potential donor candidates for the connector had unmolested harness in the engine bay. Unfortunately the way that they had them sitting I needed a stool to reach the connector and there weren't any available. After striking out on a connector I could reach I finally found one thatr had been in a front end colission, the fender was peeled back and the connector I was after had dropped down into the wheel wheel. Got the compressor and pressure switch ends too just in case.

IMG_20240212_221309173.jpg

After that I started browsing the yard and seeing what I might want to come back for. I'd really only brought pliers and dikes to get the connectors, and a screw driver hoping to find an edge grill honeycomb, so couldn't do much. I found a V8 Explorer or Mountaineer that I did not see in the vehicle listing. I wasn't looking for a V8 but good to know the parts are there if I need something during the swap. I'm going to clean up my spare GT-40 intake to install with the swap. A very important piece got misplaced somewhere over the years. This one happened to have that piece, I happened to have the right tool, and the hardware was kind enough to turn loose without fuss.

IMG_20240212_212906175.jpg

I'll be heading back in the near future to get some more pieces I think. One of the Explorers/Mountys had a nice set of cloth bucket seats with power adjust and lumbar that were the right color for my truck's interior. One of the Rangers had a nice set of black "leather" jump seats. Since my eventual goal is to color change my interior to black I'm going to grab them before they get ruined. Unfortunately the front seats in that one weren't so nice. Looked like it had been pieced together from a few trucks and got a cheap respray.

Hopefully tomorrow the rain will be gone, I can get my air compressor wired, and start back prepping parts for the swap.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Checked the front end today.

Last week at night I heard a strange "sproing" as a pulled up to a stoplight and felt it through the brake pedal and steering wheel. Discovered later that something had scraped the left front wheel between the rim and the hub, so it was probably something metal in the road I didn't see in the dark. The tire and the plastic center cover were not damaged.

Just in case, today I jacked up the front end and pulled off both front wheels. Everything good with the brakes, all bolts there and tight. Did discover that the front bearings needed to be tweaked a little tighter after 11,000 miles on them, so I did that. Both front wheels had a tiny "click" as I pulled top-bottom, but no click when pulling side-to-side. Tightened both nuts no more than about 15 degrees clockwise, which eliminated that click, and the wheels still rolled freely.

While I had the right front wheel off, I trimmed a small amount from the large fender liner where it was rubbing the frame and had taken off the undercoating, sanded off the small amount of surface rust, and hit it with a small amount of "rust reformer" black spray paint. Rust-Oleum makes the product. I used the paint to hit a few spots on the right control arm too. I'll go back later and hit that spot on the frame with a spray-on undercoating.

Tip on bearings: you can adjust the front bearings without pulling the wheel off. Just remove the center cover and grease cap and you can get to the cotter pin, retainer, and bolt.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
Pulled the retired 89 BII in the barn and pulled the 4.10 pig out of the front axle. Took some time cleaning it up. The vent tube looked like the mud daubers packed it full so I took it off. Found the vent fitting was plugged with what I don't know. Had to use a drill bit to get it opened up.
20240213_161916.jpg
20240213_161907.jpg
These 28s are so tiny. This one originally came out of my blue 85 (Alice). Factory unit. Gotta move a few trucks around then I'll take the matching rear 7.5 LS 4.10 out. Fun day in the Bronco barn.

1984RESTOMOD

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" BODY LIFT
Tire Size
33"
6B606251-B58C-47C8-B1C0-50E0BED72485.jpeg

Started on the driver side that had been done in a pretty shotty manner. Have to get some more grinder wheels - hoping to be done with both sides by the end of the week. Boards are for support til I return

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Pulled the retired 89 BII in the barn and pulled the 4.10 pig out of the front axle. Took some time cleaning it up. The vent tube looked like the mud daubers packed it full so I took it off. Found the vent fitting was plugged with what I don't know. Had to use a drill bit to get it opened up. View attachment 106020View attachment 106021 These 28s are so tiny. This one originally came out of my blue 85 (Alice). Factory unit. Gotta move a few trucks around then I'll take the matching rear 7.5 LS 4.10 out. Fun day in the Bronco barn.
I have seen brass looking filters in the vent nipple on rear axles, yours looks similar.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, that type of vent usually has a sintered brass insert...

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
I have seen brass looking filters in the vent nipple on rear axles, yours looks similar.
I could see how you may think it has that,but it was a bad angle in the picture. It's a simple nipple with a hooked rubber hose attached. I have a few pigs sitting around and checked them as well. All of them were plugged up. It's just dirt and dust from 40 years of service. Think I will put a filtered cap on the hose to help keep crud and mud daubers out. 😁
20240214_124157.jpg

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Good call, and that pic did make it look like it was a vent fitting :) , maybe the vent cap from a rear diff vent? My question mark hose was bad or missing so I took a few feet of clear nylon hose and ran it down to the pivot bracket and ran it by the headlight...

clarkbre

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Over the weekend, picked up a new set of wheels and tires on Facebook Marketplace. Love the new look!

Wheels: American Racing AR23 machined w/ clear coat fisnish 15x8, -19mm offset, 3.75" backspacing
Tires: Pro Comp Xtreme MT 2 31x10.50R15

1030474~2.jpg

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So, Tuesday I got around to hooking my laptop to my green Ranger. It apparently has a pile of complaints at the moment to work through. Joy. Anyway, I finally changed my tire size in the computer while I was at it. Still needs a slight adjustment, but it’s close enough. Well, yesterday I took it out and I’m gonna say that I should have done that waaayyyy sooner. It is very much happier. So if you’re doing the 5.0 swap, don’t forget to change your tire size in the computer, it’s worth doing the calculation and putting in.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
So, Tuesday I got around to hooking my laptop to my green Ranger. It apparently has a pile of complaints at the moment to work through. Joy. Anyway, I finally changed my tire size in the computer while I was at it. Still needs a slight adjustment, but it’s close enough. Well, yesterday I took it out and I’m gonna say that I should have done that waaayyyy sooner. It is very much happier. So if you’re doing the 5.0 swap, don’t forget to change your tire size in the computer, it’s worth doing the calculation and putting in.
Where do you do the tire size? I poked around in the 2011 with forescan but didn't recognize anything as tire size. And is it setup in mm like the 2019?

It's either been too cold or I haven't had to time to poke around in the 2019 yet. I just confirmed forscan would read info and talk to it.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Where do you do the tire size? I poked around in the 2011 with forescan but didn't recognize anything as tire size. And is it setup in mm like the 2019?

It's either been too cold or I haven't had to time to poke around in the 2019 yet. I just confirmed forscan would read info and talk to it.
It was in like the GEM module stuff or something. There was an “as built” section and an editable section for the module. I probably should have made notes of what I did. I can find it but I’m not sure how to talk someone else through it. It’s some sort of like “rotations per mile” so to be precise you need to know the exact tire size, not just what it’s sold as. I put in the numbers for a 31” tire but it is slightly off according to GPS. I didn’t look up the precise tire size (they vary slightly by manufacturers) and just used a generic 31” number

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals