• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What are the specs of the thermal fuse in the blower motor resistor?

kxri318

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The fan was only working on high in my 1986 Ford Ranger and I read that it could be caused by the resistor itself or corrosion in the connectors. I checked all the connections and they're all 100% corrosion free, so I tested the actual thermal fuse on the resistor itself and the fuse is blown. Does anyone know the specs of this fuse? There are 0 marking on it at all, its just solid black.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
This link says 121 degrees C for the value.

kxri318

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
This link says 121 degrees C for the value.

Yeah I saw that too but that's for a 98 explorer. Wasn't sure if mine was slightly different or not.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I have done several where I just used a jumper. I do not know the purpose of them, I have seen many stories of the resistors catching leaves in the heater box on fire and melting it. The thermal fuse did not do anything to prevent that.

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Torsion Bar Max Crank (Pre-2008)
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Professional Dingus At Work
I have done several where I just used a jumper. I do not know the purpose of them, I have seen many stories of the resistors catching leaves in the heater box on fire and melting it. The thermal fuse did not do anything to prevent that.
If only our trucks had cabin air filters.... every spring I have to pull my blower motor out and clean the leaves out of the housing. That noise of the leaf rubbing on the fan blade drives me INSANE.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
The resistor is downstream of the fan were the airflow from the fan keeps the resistor cool, it gets red hot in normal operation. When the leaves enter and are still flexible, they can make there way down onto the resistor and hopefully it will just smoke you out of the cab. The worst case it catches fire.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
120degC is 250degF and its not a "fuse" but will melt and separate like a fuse if it gets hotter than 250degF

These "blow"/separate based on temp only not AMPs
Regular fuse "blows" based on AMPs and temp

Yes, 120degC would be correct for these in pretty much any year Ford

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A friend had a 94 that caught fire and burned. Not long after I was headed to town and turned on the heater/defroster and soon smoke was coining out my vents.
I shut that thing plum off and luckily it didn't go any further. Soon as I got home I cleaned all the duct work, and also put screen wire across any openings anything could get through, inside and out

kxri318

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a pack of 121c thermal fuses for a couple bucks and put one in. It works great now on all speeds, thanks a ton.

kxri318

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If only our trucks had cabin air filters.... every spring I have to pull my blower motor out and clean the leaves out of the housing. That noise of the leaf rubbing on the fan blade drives me INSANE.
When I removed my AC (previous owner mangled it) and threw in non-ac air ducting, it was completely packed full of leaves and honestly I was surprised it hadn't caught fire yet. Good to know that's something I should check more often though

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals