• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

what are some differences between the OBD1 and OBD2 systems? picking up code reader

4byRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 turbo
Transmission
Manual
i cant firgure out how to tell

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
from what ive learned over the last year its the amount of readable data that the systems put out. when hooking a genysis to my 90 i only get a few sensor outputs, but on my 94 i was able to read everysensor and see its live data. im sure ifi had a newer truck to hook it up to i would be able to see even more.

graff104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
from what ive learned over the last year its the amount of readable data that the systems put out. when hooking a genysis to my 90 i only get a few sensor outputs, but on my 94 i was able to read everysensor and see its live data. im sure ifi had a newer truck to hook it up to i would be able to see even more.
I'm pretty certain the switch wasn't till '95 my '94 is obd1 I believe the obd2 is standard across all manufactures but with the obd1 there were lots of differences in the codes and location of the plug.

_Kyle_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
1996 was the first year that every vehicle in the US was required to have ODBII.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
about 200%, OBD 1 is primitive compared to OBD2, when you buy a scanner they usually have a little more expensive version that will read both.

but anyways OBD1 usually gives you codes and VERY few sensor outputs.. and slow refresh rates.

OBD2 lets you look at any sensor, misfire for specific cylinder, and history and flash codes. you can also run specific tests, command actuators on and off. LOTS of things you can do with OBD2...

however the scan tool that is able to do all these things costs $5000-$12000

the $100-$200 scanner you're likely looking at will show you codes and sensor date(maybe)

it just depends on your needs

and if you are asking how to tell WHICH one you have? ALL OBD2 systems have a plug in plain sight under the steering wheel/dash that is trapazoid shaped and has 16 pins.

ford OBD1 plugs are under the hood near the firewall on either fenderwell or on the firewall in the center.. they have 4 pins with an additional 1 pin plug that is on the same harness. they usually have a black cover that says "EEC-DIAGNOSTICS".. if the cover hasn't been lost

Last edited:

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Your 95 may have the OBD 2 connector under the dash but it's still OBD 1. Not ALL OBD 2 connectors are under the dash. Some are in the center consoles and some are up under the dash and other various places.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Your 95 may have the OBD 2 connector under the dash but it's still OBD 1. Not ALL OBD 2 connectors are under the dash. Some are in the center consoles and some are up under the dash and other various places.
Rangers/Explorers went to OBD 2 computers in '95.

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
Basically what I know is OBD II was all the companies getting together to use the same technology. OBD I was all proprietary technology which made it too hard for small shops to afford all the readers and dealers to repair different makes. Unfortunately I hear OBD III could be advanced but some companies (Honda, BMW) may add a little extra plug just for their shops. And I gues it will be more emission based.

Last edited:

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Gotcha. I know they had to be OBD 2 in 96 but some automakers had it in 95.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
ALL OBD2 vehicles have it under the dash. under the dash is called DLC-1

center console or other locations are called DLC-2, or DLC-3 and they do NOT have the same functions.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ALL OBD2 vehicles have it under the dash. under the dash is called DLC-1

center console or other locations are called DLC-2, or DLC-3 and they do NOT have the same functions.
Uhhh....I worked on a Volvo awhile back and the DLC is in the center console. No connection under the dash either.
Sorry it's just a crappy Shop Key picture.
99 Volvo C70 DLC location:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals