• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Weird problem with fuel pump not getting enough power.

Oweb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xl
Transmission
Manual
1994 ford ranger xl 2.3
2wd
Okay so I had this problem awhile ago and haven’t gotten around to fixing it. Basically the fuel pump either isn't being grounded correctly or isn’t getting the right power. I can’t seem to find where the ground is going wrong. I can get the car started by manually grounding the “fuel pump test” port on the obd connector. (I just use a sketchy banana clip. So it’s definitely not permanent) I don’t know exactly what that does but it gets the car to start. Can someone help me figure out what’s going wrong?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
You are grounding the coil for the fuel pump relay. This is the small control circuit for the fuel pump, and normally the computer grounds this circuit to activate the relay and then the relay sends the larger power to run the pump.

There is a feature in the computer, if it doesn't see rpm signals from the ignition system, then it thinks the engine is not running and will not run the pump.

02FX4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Factory Lift
Tire Size
31"x10.5"R15
1994 ford ranger xl 2.3
2wd
Okay so I had this problem awhile ago and haven’t gotten around to fixing it. Basically the fuel pump either isn't being grounded correctly or isn’t getting the right power. I can’t seem to find where the ground is going wrong. I can get the car started by manually grounding the “fuel pump test” port on the obd connector. (I just use a sketchy banana clip. So it’s definitely not permanent) I don’t know exactly what that does but it gets the car to start. Can someone help me figure out what’s going wrong?
You may want to check to see if your truck has a collision/roll-over cutoff switch? (I don't know if your model year does or not?) In my '02, it's on the passenger side upper floor to the right under the dash. Those are directly connected to the power feed of the fuel pump. But check all of the obvious things like fuse sockets, relay operation, connections, etc for proper grounding and voltage best to work battery backward or pump forward to troubleshoot. I try to half split somewhere in the middle so I can eliminate half the electrical circuit and components.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals