• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

volume of air question

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the principal applies to any mass-air-flow fuel injected vehicle.

Jon581

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
im asking cause i had a 90 5liter with a pro-m 80mm mas air set up for stock injectors and had no problems.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
thats because your '90 has a one-peice MAF sensor where the sensor and housing are one cast peice of aluminum. when you odered the new sensor, it came with new "guts" that were tuned to compensate for the additional airflow.

newer vehicles use a sensor and housing that are seperable, making it possible to upgrade just the housing, which will royally screw up your tuning if the PCM isnt programmed to compensate.

Jon581

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
so how do i set up the computer to accept the bigger tube

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
you have to have the PCM reflashed at a local speed shop.

Jon581

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
can you explain what that is im not real up to date on new cars

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the computer inside your car has the engines perameters...the "tune"....programmed to a flash memory chip (think memory card in a digital camera). a speed shop can connect a laptop computer to the cars computer and change perameters programmed to the computer, thus retuning the engine.

Jon581

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
oh ok so they can change the tune to work with the bigger tube and come to think of it before i put the pro-m on my car i changed just the tube and it ran like crap.

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
so i got my intake installed, id give it +10 hp, sounds a lil funny now but def an improvement. i like it:icon_thumby:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
ill believe it when i see a dyno sheet :icon_cheers:

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Me too W_S!

ill believe it when i see a dyno sheet :icon_cheers:
This is about the silliest thread I have EVER read all the way thru. What these youngsters don't have a clue about is velocity. From the factory velocity is a prime tuning element. My 4.0 has VARIABLE intake runners. Which keeps the velocity UP which in turn FILLS the chamber better at lower rpm.
Changing the size of the intake BEFORE the Tb does nothing until an rpm is reached that would be taxing the original intake system.
The tune required for a larger maf is simply to tell the engine that the new maf is actually passing MORE air than it is saying is passing. Then when tuned the new maf will act the same as the older smaller one did.
I highly doubt ANYTHING done in front of the tb could cause a happy noticeable improvement.
Now the shop putting a "tune" in the computer could change some parameters that could show some power improvements...at the cost of mileage.
Remember more power takes more fuel.
As we all know for sure...The engineers at Ford don't have a clue, do they. Yep with all them millions of dollars of equipment and computers, and education.... it is easy for us in our driveways to figgure out how to get more performance and power out of our rides then them guys could.
Big JIm:wub::hottubfun:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
big jim is absolutely right. ive always told people that horsepower sells cars. if ford could have squeezed a few extra easy ponies out of a vehicle with a simple switch of the filter element or MAF sensor, they would have done so at the factory. they have larger filter elements and MAF sensors available that are already in production. it would cost them ZERO extra dollers to install larger components.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
you can gain power with a maf swap without tuning the ecu. However the sample tube, maf size, and shape would have to be dead on to trick the ecu correctly. you could do this using a wideband 02 to at least watch the AFRs. Some direct replacemtn MAF housings like the C&L stuff dosent need a tune. All they do is run the tune a hair leaner which is where the power is found since the ecu from the factory runs rich under wot. The modification you make I will repeat again would have to be dead on and tested with a wideband 02 and possibly some type of ecu datalogger.

2004ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
eh intake velocity is good since it moves your tq range down in the powerpband. but the 3.0L is a rev happy motor and makes more power in the upper range. why in god's Name would you wanna suffocate it in the higher rpm range?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals