• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

volume of air question

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
not really dyno numbers vary from type of dyno and so forth. I highly doubt they made 10hp due to an intake its BS. The 10hp gain was only spread at exactly 4921 rpm there tricky. Most of the spread was 6-8hp gained if they took an punched out a bigger hole into the inlet of the oem airbox you would probally see that 10hp gai nat 4921 rpm

Last edited:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
its a calculated risk. the chances of someone putting their intake on the exact same truck they tested and then running it on the dyno are slim. then they have dyno and vehicle-to-vehicle variations on their side, and im sure somewhere in the tiny print it says "actual results may vary".

look at the tornado fuel saver. they claim up to a 15% imporvement in power. thatd be 21HP for a 3.0 from a pop can restricting your intake. big companies are good at playing with words to make their products appealing.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
If you want to help the intake breathe better. Find where the air enters the airbox and open that hole up a bit and even better than that build a duct to the airbox that sucks air from the lower air damn.

2004ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
But like i was saying they say UP to 10+ so you could get 1hp and they would have advertised right. Since he has a 06 that MAF is very restricting i will post up my old maf housing and show that even if you open everything else that maf sensor will bring the whole hp gain down big time. Its kinda like your only as strong as your weakest link. Your not running a cone filter are you? your just running the stock box correct?

Last edited:

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
no i got the whole k and n air intake, replaces everything from the TB on down

2004ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So your not throwing any lean codes? cause when i put on the new Maf housing compared to the stock one it detonated like crazy

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i have yet to receive it to put it on. but i think its the same size as stock maf its just better designed to flow better.

2004ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Even if it is the same size as the stock Maf housing the stock MAF sensor housing on the 04+ are around 50mm without the maf sensor in the housing with it in the housing your getting about 40mm or maybe a bit less since the slot in maf sensor takes around 10mm of space. So its quite restricted once you get up in the higher end on the power band.

Jon581

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
im trying to understand here you guys are saying that if you use a bigger mass air tube it won't work or do you mean bigger tube and sensor won't work

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
im trying to understand here you guys are saying that if you use a bigger mass air tube it won't work or do you mean bigger tube and sensor won't work
well i thank you for reading first and not starting a thread on the same subject.

but your MAf is designed to work with a certin amount of air. stay with me ill try and break it down but i have bad pun. so it can get all jumbled..

VVVV not real numbers just used to explaneVVVV

lets say you have an intake thats 50mm and the maf stuck in it. and at 70 degrees it will send your computer a "1" for amount of fuel to add. and ever 10 degrees is another +/-.05 to send to the computer. so if you idleing in 70 degree weather, the comp is getting a "1" idleing at 60 degrees its getting a "1.05" and 50 a "1.1" now every cm of throttle moved is another .05. sooooo idleing in 70 degrees and you give it a lil gas the comp gets "1.05" 60 deg. "1.15" ect ect
still with me

now if you get an intake thats 100mm and use a MAf thats for a 50MM as soon as you turn it on. theres so much air going thru it thinks its -20 deg out side . the maf starts sending a "2" (max) and theres still "to much" air and the comp is saying wtf and throwing a lean code

all that to say this.

if you get a bigger maf housing you have to let the comp know whats going on my reprograming it to say "hey this is now normal start at "2" for fuel and work up or down as needed"

now i got a K&N air intake system that gets rid of the air box uses a cone filter and is a more flowing design (ie no sharp bends ). but were the MAF goes is made to the same ID as stock so theres no confusion wiht the comp and the MAF. its just desinged in a way to prevent the disruption of the air flow. so more air can flow faster thur the same amount of space.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
WTF?! :icon_confused: MAF...MASS AIRFLOW SENSOR measures air not tempature. It has wires in the housings and as voltage is sent thru these wires the air mores over the wires. This cools the wire like an resistor and the ecu sends more voltage to the wire. the ECu then calculates all of this to figure out how mcuh airflow the motor is consuming. the ecu knows that x voltage means Y flow....When you put the MAF into a bigger housing with a bigger sample tube it causes Y to increase wiht out the ecu truly knowing whats going on except theres a bigger sampling tune that may trick the ecu into adding more air until the meter is saturated beyond the ecus programming and air flow rate. There is no such thing as calibrated MAFs the calibration is strictly in the ecu. You change a MAF the correct way to recalibrate is the MAF transfer function in the ecu. you can trick an ecu by modding the MAF but its hit and miss most times and it all depends on your modifications. for example boring out a sample tube wil allow more airflow thru the wires trickin the ecu to add more fuel. Alot of aftermarket MAFs that are plug and play housings trick the ecu to lean out the fuel mixture for more power since most applications run a bit rich from factory at conditions liek WOT. This is some basic stuff research if you want to get into the science of MAFs

YOu mostly dont get more air because more airflow you see more power because even without a tune your altering the AFRs thru changing the sampling tube characteristics and velocity tricking the ecus strategy

Last edited:

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
sorry i know that the MAf doesnt measure temp, but i was trying to explane what happens with out adding all the variables and make it semi simple.

i failed....i know i suck at life

Jon581

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
here is the deal i bought a conical k&n filter cut off the top of the air box/mas air tube and rigged it to work then while i was looking online i found a unversal mas air tube for my year ranger so i bought it. what i wanted to know was if you change the size of the mas air tube will you have problems? and it sounds like your telling me yes.am i right?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
yes, you will need to reflash the PCM to accept the bigger MAF housing.

let me try to explain from another angle. the MAF sensor itself samples a very small amount of the actual air coming into the engine. it then multiplies that number by a known figure to tell the PCM exactly how much actual air is entering the engine. if you install a larger housing with the same sensor, your now getting more air through the sensors body, but the sensor itself is still sampling the same volume and multiplying it the same factor as before. so in short, it "guesses" low (more actual air entering the engine than the sensor reports to the PCM), causing a lean running condition which causes all kinds of drivability issues.

Jon581

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
is this only on newer cars like mine or on any year with a maf

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals