• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

"Unnaturally Aspirated" LS Ranger

Alix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
you have a ms setup ready to go?
Haven't received the MS yet but I have the programming and the tune ready to go on my laptop :icon_thumby: I duplicating a setup thats been done before.

I found this guy on youtube building crazy power numbers out of stock shortblocks for dirt cheap so I figured why not?

He's built a fleet of 9 and 10 second cars on junkyard motors. Even an 8 second stock shortblock 4.8

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I beat the sh&$ out of my 3.0 for 2 years never had any engine issues

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Haven't received the MS yet but I have the programming and the tune ready to go on my laptop :icon_thumby: I duplicating a setup thats been done before.

I found this guy on youtube building crazy power numbers out of stock shortblocks for dirt cheap so I figured why not?

He's built a fleet of 9 and 10 second cars on junkyard motors. Even an 8 second stock shortblock 4.8
Matt's a cool guy and the biggest reason I love the LS platform. He sold me the turbo that I used the exhaust housing for on my truck.

Which MS you go with? I recently switched from MS2 to MS3X and love it!

Alix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Matt's a cool guy and the biggest reason I love the LS platform. He sold me the turbo that I used the exhaust housing for on my truck.

Which MS you go with? I recently switched from MS2 to MS3X and love it!
Yeah, Matt is really cool and he's helped me a lot so far. He sent me his tune from the Fairmont and a bunch of links to parts he's running. He is the reason I went LS too. The abuse these engines hold up to is crazy. I went with MS2. It will fit my needs for now and be a little easier learning curve for me. I have a couple of friends running MS and it always seemed too complex but after researching, it's actually really simple.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
yeah, guys that shit talk them really perplex me. the design is awesome.

fordxranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/1992
Make / Model
Fo Mo Co
Engine Size
2.9L....for now/4.0L
Transmission
Manual
where did you pick up the ls engine for that price?

Alix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
where did you pick up the ls engine for that price?
Through a local salvage yard which our shop has an account with. It was out of a low milage 02 Silverado that was rear ended.

Alix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
After work I spent a couple hours sorting through my wiring diagrams and pealing apart the harness to remove all of the unnecessary wires. Ford decided to wrap the harness in electrical tape then wire loom and then another layer of electrical tape so this part was a whole bunch of fun :annoyed:

After a couple hours and several beers, these were the leftovers from the first round of stripping. All of these wires were PCM related in the engine bay harness and no longer needed.

Tomorrow before work I'm going to separate the lighting portion of the harness. Then this weekend the 3.0 can come out and the 5.3 can be set in to make mounts if I have time.

Alix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Round two of pulling unnecessary wires:

I have the engine bay harness stripped down to just exterior lighting, horn, heater controls and wipers. Looks much more manageable now. I've ditched the idea of re-pinning the factory plugs because I don't want to tear the dash apart once now and again for the cage work. I was pleasantly surprised to find a hole behind where the factory PCM sat that leads to where the passenger airbag was. I'll be mounting the MS ECU there and running the harness through the fire wall.

kamshaft

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
bosssss im subscribed

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
You are gonna give me nightmares about being entrapped in wiring...:bawling:

Alix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
You are gonna give me nightmares about being entrapped in wiring...:bawling:
I am so thankful that electrical is one thing I understand very well. This is still quite a task though and definitely the most time consuming part of the build.

I had the day off today and all we managed to do was drink a case of beer, watch a couple movies on the tv in my garage while sitting in the truck and unbolt trans cross member haha pretty good day in my book :icon_cheers:

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
I am so thankful that electrical is one thing I understand very well. This is still quite a task though and definitely the most time consuming part of the build.

I had the day off today and all we managed to do was drink a case of beer, watch a couple movies on the tv in my garage while sitting in the truck and unbolt trans cross member haha pretty good day in my book :icon_cheers:
Yes it is! Fall has it's own set of perogatives. Once in a while you just gotta chill out...preferably with 'pop with the foam on top.':D:icon_cheers::D

I haven't touched my Ranger in a month but with yard work and getting the house ready for winter it will wait.......:annoyed:

Alix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Got my dedicated laptop all set up and have my tune ready to go.

Alix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
After work I dropped the trans, pulled the 3.slow out, and test wedged the 5.3 in haha
I was pleasantly surprised to find quite a bit of room in there. Might even be able to keep the heater box intact.
The engine is going to sit at least another 6" lower than this, probably 8. The chevy mounts were still bolted on and hitting on the steering box.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals