• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Under hood pad

Red Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine is missing, it was missing when I bought the Ranger. I see that LMC Truck has replacements, cut to fit for $40.00. Is this pad necessary to have? What purpose does it serve beside insulation?
Thanks,

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
It's mostly for noise reduction...I had one on my truck but tossed it out because it was soaked in oil, started to crumble around the edges, and weighed more than it should have...

They may also help to reduce the temperature in the engine compartment in summer by shielding heat coming off the hood...but without them the truck still runs the same...as long as the cooling system is working properly...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
It's possible that heat off the motor could damage the paint or warp the aluminum hood if you're talking about your 2000 Ranger...

I've been considering taking mine off and just build a functional cowl induction on it to keep the underhood temps under control. But who knows if that will actually happen or when...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Hmmm...didn't think about engine heat affecting the paint...but it could be an issue...never had a problem with my 88 paint and it got pretty hot under there sometimes...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Hmmm...didn't think about engine heat affecting the paint...but it could be an issue...never had a problem with my 88 paint and it got pretty hot under there sometimes...
Yea, the pad is gone from under the hood of my 89 and I haven't seen any bad effects from it... but it's also a heavy as heck steel hood.... and a strong one at that, I've perched up on my hood quite a few times but would never try it with the light aluminum hood on my Ranger.

Red Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the input. It hasn't affected the paint, but then I don't know how long it's been missing. I wonder if it would help the A/C cool a bit better. When it gets 100 degrees here in Oklahoma, it has a hard time staying cool in the cab. I do know on my Thunderbird sealing the box around the heater core/evaporator helped cool the inside.

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
Not likely to help the A/C temps in the cab. A/C heat removal happens in front of the radiator. With A/C, seal the condenser box, make sure there is a full load of 134A and that your compressor is working and you should be fine.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have noticed that it a missing pad will change the way your hood sounds when you shut it. On my trucks, if it's missing, your hood will shut with a bang. If it's there, the hood just kind of clicks shut. I don't know if that is part of it's intended purpose, but interesting nonetheless.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Aside from tuning up the AC, are your windows tinted? Sealing around the heater box might help if you're introducing hot air through there (leaking seals). Making sure the vent door is closing properly might also help because it allows outside air into the cab.

There shouldn't be too many other ways for hot air to get into the cab but you also have one other factor...the color of your vehicle. Darker means hotter, generally, and without the heat reducing window tints, a dark vehicle interior can easily reach temps that could kill...or cause serious discomfort.

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
As for the heat damaging the paint, aluminum conducts heat much better than steel so my guess would be that it would spread the heat over the entire hood area and dispel it away. I took that insulation off my Jeep and it runs cooler now but there is a tad more noise. None of the Rangers I have owned had that stuff.

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It also serves as a fire blanket if your engine compartment burns-the plastic retainers melt off and it drops down onto the engine.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There shouldn't be too many other ways for hot air to get into the cab but you also have one other factor...the color of your vehicle. Darker means hotter, generally, and without the heat reducing window tints, a dark vehicle interior can easily reach temps that could kill...or cause serious discomfort.
My parents white Explorer can get more than not enough to kill something/body. My green Ranger used to get up to 130 some odd degrees back when it used to sit in the parking lot during high school. That was at aproxx 3:30 in the afternoon from May to June and Septimber to October.

I think there is a problem with Red Ranger's AC system though.

Red Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The A/C blows cold except when it gets up over 100 degrees. I'm going to seal the box under the hood, as I think I'm getting hot air through it. Right now there is only some insulation taped to only one side of it.

One other question. Is it normal for the side registers to have lower airflow than the center registers? On our Sable, all registers are about the same. On my '69 T-bird, the sides have less flow than the centers.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
It also serves as a fire blanket if your engine compartment burns-the plastic retainers melt off and it drops down onto the engine.
Thats something I didn't think about, good point. :beer:

As for when it gets 100*F in Oklahoma. You are not the only one. I know exactly how you feel, I live in OKC, OK. Normally, if the Ranger sits in the sun for more than an hour. It is baking hot inside (130*F +). Use a windshield reflector, it really does help and saves the dash from being warpped. Also make sure the engine fan, coolant, and free-on is filled, topped off, &/or working. Around 90*F+ the engine fan is usually working.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals