• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Trying to decide to buy or not

chadb

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm looking at a 99 Mazda B4000 4x4 with 125,000 miles.

I'm having some reservations about buying 13 yr old vehicle for some reason. I figure I'll have to drive it aleast 5 to 6 yrs. I probably put 7 or 8 k miles a year.

What do you all think??

The thing is in excellent condition physically and mechanically for a 1999. I think i'm just worried it will go to crap in a few years.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
First off, welcome to TRS!

Nobody here will try and talk you out of it. They are great little trucks. Do they have quirks? Sure they do, but they are the best damn small trucks ever built. As far as longevity is concerned, if the previous owner maintained it well, it should provide you with years of trusty service.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
yep....... I would buy it. 125K is not alot for a used car now days.... unless they want a small fortune for it like on a used Tacoma.

chadb

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the replies.

I had a 92 mazda b2600i that I drove for six years and I put over 100k on with a total of 195k on the truck. Now I drive a 2000 taurus with 110k but it seem the last couple years it gone down hill. Rusting like crazy, a few mechanical issues.

Just a little worried my "new vehicle" is starting out older and more miles.

They're asking $6700. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance :icon_cheers:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Low milages, Bro. You maintain it, it will last a long time. Buy it and enjoy it.

:icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Change the oil every 5,000 miles, wash it once a week in the winter and get the undercarriage wash, and change the trans fluid every 30K, that truck will last you until you die.

I have an 87 that I am literally trying to drive until we run out of gasoline or I die, which ever happens first.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 99 will have PVH hubs,(that's a search term for you) make sure they work. Have someone walk alongside while you are in 4Lo on gravel. Goose the gas while turning in each direction to see gravel fly from each front tire. Walking speed.

Other than that, it should be a great truck. Might inquire whether the auto trans was ever serviced. M05D manual trans are great. Clutch slave cylinders can be boogers though.

chadb

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Awsome! Thanks for the info.. I think I'm going to pull the trigger tonite :icon_hornsup:

chadb

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well went and test drove this again and was planning on to try and make a deal on it. But i noticed this time from a dead stop and then taking off it feel like slip or lag in the drivertrain for a split second. I don't think it would be u joints because no clunk, so tranny or torq converter??

This is a little disappointing because you would think it would be checked over by their mechanic before putting it out on the lot. The dealership is decent sized.

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Read this http://www.therangerstation.com/resources/How_To_Buy.html

Yes, I'd buy mine again, in a heartbeat. It has 100K, with a bit of rust on the usual spots (no undercoating!), and I've had to replace usual spring hangers and all brake lines. Otherwise just normal mtce. I find the B4000 is a great 4x4 truck that's remarkably reliable & also easy to fix/mod.

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Why does your avatar stats say you have a "v6 4.6 l?" i hope it was a typo, cuz the size of your engine is in the name of your truck, hence the b4000 part
. Seriously.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals