• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Towing with a 2.3t

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i think thats where my misunderstanding was...ya the 2.3T will get it going eventually, but not as fast as the 4.0 or something?

im not the most knowledgable about turbos, but when someone says they get full boost at like 2000 rpm, thats because the turbo is small i guess is what im hearing? doesnt that comprimise something else? like i know the supercharger is constant pressure through out, cause its always spinning...but does the turbo waste gate ever open or something when your like towing?? i dont think that makes sense at all, but dont you lose something by going with a really small turbo to make it spool faster?

my friend towed 4000lbs with his 2004 4.0 ranger like it wasnt there, but when i get up into that amount, i worry about the clutch, and the braking..SHADYY...

gas mileage wise, Captain Ledd so you do suffer alot when your towing? is that because the engine is SOOO small, cause i get 20 when i tow, and 22 when i dont (supercharged)

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
gas mileage wise, Captain Ledd so you do suffer alot when your towing? is that because the engine is SOOO small, cause i get 20 when i tow, and 22 when i dont (supercharged)
It's because I have to give it alot of gas for hills and accelerating, and also let it wind up a bit into the RPM range instead of running it harder at a lower RPM, bit smoother and easier on the engine. It's using more fuel because the throttle is much, much more open than I usually cruise at (I drive pretty conservatively)

As long as your not riding the clutch, or you can feel it slipping the clutch won't care. though sometime during starting depending on the load or a hill, it can complain.

When I put my 8.8 in during my 4x4 conversion I'm going with the 10" brakes. Sadly I almost didn't, the parts guy showed me the wrong pads, the ones I were shown were barely an inch wide lol. Just watching the road, leaving room, and most importantly driving for the conditions, regardless of what others think you should be driving (speed).

Small turbo's:
Having a small turbo will build boost lower in the RPM range and is generally assumed that it will be much more drivable and make more torque. The trade off is in top HP. Towing requires torque, generally in the low-mid RPM range. Torque is how hard it can pull on things, horsepower is how fast it can use that torque to accelerate (AFAIK)

as far as I know:
The waste gate is there to help monitor the boost pressure. It bypasses air around the turbo so it doesn't build quite as much pressure (exhaust side?), blowing the engine apart (spinning the turbo too fast and forcing tons of air into the engine). Similar to a blow off valve but I think the BOV is on the intake side of things, where say a throttle is suddenly closed, and the turbo doesn't keep packing more air into the intake (because it's still spinning) until it explodes.

Hopefully no one comes in here and schools me too badly. I really want to turbo my 2.3, but I think I'll have to wait on that until after the 4wd conversion. I'm still doing my reading though.

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
mhm that helps me understand it...yaa i have always remember the moto "torque wins races, horsepower sells cars" lol no idea where that came from..but whatever...

what about the transmission for towing? is that load related? or it wont matter the load? or is it just power/torque related that the tranny might go?

what are the M5Od's rated for? if thats what he has?

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
what about the transmission for towing? is that load related? or it wont matter the load? or is it just power/torque related that the tranny might go?

what are the M5Od's rated for? if thats what he has?
I figured a mild/stock turbo is no more powerful than a stock SOHC 4.0, so I never paid it much mind.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
It's because I have to give it alot of gas for hills and accelerating, and also let it wind up a bit into the RPM range instead of running it harder at a lower RPM, bit smoother and easier on the engine. It's using more fuel because the throttle is much, much more open than I usually cruise at (I drive pretty conservatively)

As long as your not riding the clutch, or you can feel it slipping the clutch won't care. though sometime during starting depending on the load or a hill, it can complain.

When I put my 8.8 in during my 4x4 conversion I'm going with the 10" brakes. Sadly I almost didn't, the parts guy showed me the wrong pads, the ones I were shown were barely an inch wide lol. Just watching the road, leaving room, and most importantly driving for the conditions, regardless of what others think you should be driving (speed). You also got the bov right when you lift and the throttle slams shut the turbocharger is still spinning and compressing air against the TB. The instant vaccum by the throttle shuting pulls up on the bov and the pressure behind the valve allows the excessive boost pressure to escape heard as a w2hoosh. If there is no BOv the pressure will escape back thru the compressor spinning it backwards whic his hard on the turbocharger (creates a fluttery sound)

Small turbo's:
Having a small turbo will build boost lower in the RPM range and is generally assumed that it will be much more drivable and make more torque. The trade off is in top HP. Towing requires torque, generally in the low-mid RPM range. Torque is how hard it can pull on things, horsepower is how fast it can use that torque to accelerate (AFAIK)

as far as I know:
The waste gate is there to help monitor the boost pressure. It bypasses air around the turbo so it doesn't build quite as much pressure (exhaust side?), blowing the engine apart (spinning the turbo too fast and forcing tons of air into the engine). Similar to a blow off valve but I think the BOV is on the intake side of things, where say a throttle is suddenly closed, and the turbo doesn't keep packing more air into the intake (because it's still spinning) until it explodes.

Hopefully no one comes in here and schools me too badly. I really want to turbo my 2.3, but I think I'll have to wait on that until after the 4wd conversion. I'm still doing my reading though.
yes a turbo wit ha smaller exhaust housing and smaller turbine wheel will spool faster. However it can easily choke out the motor at higher revolutions. I have a 50 trim .48 AR T3 on my 4.0 wicked fast spool and the motor pulls up to the 5K redline easily. My wastegate pops open at 5 psi depending on what gear Im in (turbochargers are load sensitive) and stays at 5 psi thru redline. The other thing you dont want with a smaller housing turbo is a aftermarket cam with close LSA (lots of overlap) ANy exhaust reversion due top the exhaust housings will cause issues at higher rpms including excessive backpressure which leads to elevated EGTs=detonation and overall poor performance.

Last edited:

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
Small turbo's:

as far as I know:

yes a turbo wit ha smaller exhaust housing and smaller turbine wheel will spool faster. However it can easily choke out the motor at higher revolutions. I have a 50 trim .48 AR T3 on my 4.0 wicked fast spool and the motor pulls up to the 5K redline easily. My wastegate pops open at 5 psi depending on what gear Im in (turbochargers are load sensitive) and stays at 5 psi thru redline. The other thing you dont want with a smaller housing turbo is a aftermarket cam with close LSA (lots of overlap) ANy exhaust reversion due top the exhaust housings will cause issues at higher rpms including excessive backpressure which leads to elevated EGTs=detonation and overall poor performance. the bov uses intake vaccum and the boost pressure behind the valve to open it and vent the excess boost after you lift. if there is no bov the air will force itself back thru the compressor spinning it backwards which ca nbe hard on the turbocharger (creates a fluttery sound)

fordktpjoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
OK, first I am very uneducated on turbos and the like, so please don't flame, just a question here.

Has anyone thought of, as opposed to the "Turbocoupe" engine, why not go with the "Supercoupe" engine, weren't they supercharged?

Again just a question from a guy who only knows naturally aspirated engines.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
You can do that but the 3.8 was never designed to be in the ranger/explorer platform. If you find a whole swap car you could do it but youll need custom drive shafts and motor mounts. It has the 5.0 bell housings bolt pattern si its like doing a 302 swap kind of. i think there may have been someone to do that here. The one issue however is the 3.8L sc motors are known to blow HGs left and right but I guess thats not a big change from a 4.0.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals