• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

To sell or not to sell

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
I bought a ford focus a few months ago because it was a deal I couldn't pass up basically I got it for 5k and KBB says it's about 7k or if it's at a dealership around 8k. I have ALOT going on right now so I'm just looking for opinions on what to do. If I sell it will be through a friends dealership so he'll just be taking a $5-700 cut.

The reasons I'm thinking of selling. I sold my ranger (basically traded it for an engagement ring) and I'm getting married in 2 weeks. So I can use the money for that (her parents are paying but still). I'm trying to minimize my bills because I want to buy the house I'm renting. I'm worried about my job since we've lost several new bids on work we were already doing so the company itself is probably going under so fewer bills is good. My wife to be can't drive a manual and is reluctant to let me teach her (I did teach her how to back a trailer in a week) so an auto might be the ticket. Also the focus is manual everything and I SO wish it had at least cruise and I really want power windows and locks and its a 2dr hatch and I kinda really want a wagon or 5dr hatch.

The good about it is I'm second owner and I did the NVI where I worked when my lil bro bought it new so I know everything about the car. I know it gets a great 35mpg highway when I go back home (3hr drive) so I spend about $40 for gas on a trip whereas taking the GMC costs about $120. It's only got 84k on it so it's still pretty young and since I will use the cash to get another mileage master it'll either be another payment with what I want or an older version with more miles. Not to mention it's possible to trade this car that I know is mint and alreay possess for basically a lemon that I can't verify the history on....

Yep I did a novel again but I really have no idea whether I should hang onto it or sell it and use the money to buy a 2-3k car or use it as a downpayment on another little nicer car with the options I want. Or use that money to pay off some bills and suffer through the fullsize mileage blues.

SO lets hear some opinions:icon_cheers:

Heavyfire14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
truthfully i personally would keep the car if you already have a truck... manual everything means less stuff to worry about breaking and cheaper to fix! i would teach her how to drive stick, but thats jus cause i peronally think EVERYONE should know how to drive stick

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
yeah but its shiny and new and hers. I'll get a 4 by ranger at some point so thats no worries. I keep trying to get her to learn but she hasn't gotten willing enough yet. I 100% agree that everyone should drive stick I hate that it's hard to find a new vehicle with one but thats another conversation lol. True enough point about fewer electronics means fewer things to short out.

Thanks! Keep 'em coming!

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
the lil focus' are great.. great gas mileage. reliable. not TO hard to work on. manual everything means less to work on. i wish i would have kept that lil 03 one i bought and sold... i kinda miss it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I keep trying to get her to learn but she hasn't gotten willing enough yet. I 100% agree that everyone should drive stick
So do what I did with my first two girl friends when I taught them and with my wife tonight at dinner. Forcefully place them in the front seat (or in the case of tonight placed a plate of food in front of her) and gently but firmly informed them that the upcoming activity is NOT optional.

The first one kinda knew how to work a clutch but couldn't shift so I made her drive the 7 miles back to her house while I shifted for her.

Last edited:

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If I could make it happen I would teach your fiance a manual if I sold or kept the car.You guys can't make car decisions together on cars till she can drive all of them.I taught both of my daughters on a manual.It's hard to teach some one some thing that comes very easy to you.You have to be very patient and careful about what you say.Then you guys can decide which cars you like.

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
I'm not worried about the teaching part. I can teach her and she's smart enough to learn. She finally let me teach her to back a trailer a couple months ago with a few different trailers and now barring the occasional mistake you'd never know she just learned. Teaching her the manual is kinda on the minor side of why I'm thinking of selling. Did the math and driving the car to and from where I'm from compared to taking the truck is around $70 cheaper. AWESOME

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I pretended to sprain my ankle and told my wife I could not push down the clutch and she had no choice but to drive home.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals