• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

To keep the Ranger or not?

Keep the Ranger or not?

• Keep the Ranger and try to get it ready to go

Votes: 23 79.3%
  • Let it go with the good memories

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I know there have been a few of these discussions going around, well here is another one. I'm in the dilemma of whether to keep my truck or not and time is running low to make a decision. I leave for college the 15th of this month. It's about 100 miles away. Didn't seem like a big deal til my truck started compounding one problem after another lately. Here's the good and the bad.

Good: Engine fires up everytime and runs great. Transmission is still strong, slips a little but at 200,000+ miles on a 5R55E that's to be expected. Transfer case and 4x4 work great. Radio and CD player work well. No electrical problems to speak of.

Bad: A/C went out sometime over the winter. Has a leak. I have the parts to fix it and a mechanic friend has the tools but I've never done the job before and I know A/C systems can be very sensitive if you screw the repair up anywhere along the line. Steering is not good either. Alignment has been off for a while and it's chewed my 33" mud terrains on the inside. Probably need a new set of tires soon. Needs ball joints and tie rod ends as well. I've never done the job before but it looks doable. Just did the wheel bearings, brakes and rotors 2 weeks ago (some people remember that day from hell with one problem after another). Needs the rear drums and shoes replaced also as well as wheel cylinders. Also the driver's side seat belt doesn't stay latched. Hopefully that's just a 10 minute junkyard fix.

I guess in the end I can do the labor needed to get this truck ready to go. Problem is time and money. I'm moving out for the first time and trying to get everything situated including a lot of financial aid paperwork that got filed a little late. And money, I would have to borrow from my parents to get the parts and rent the tools needed and take a couple days off work. I really hate to borrow money from my folks. Trying to be independent here.

So total price list to fix the Ranger:
Front bearings, rotors and brakes: $230 <--Already done
New battery installed at the same time: $70 <-- Already done
Ball joints: $100
Tie rod ends: $60
Front end alignment: $70
A/C parts: $160 (got 'em at vendor pricing :icon_thumby:) <--Already bought
A/C vacuum and recharge: $70
Rear brake drums, shoes and wheel cylinders $150
Set of used tires: $200-$400 hopefully plus mount and balance

Grand total: $1,210 estimated to get this truck ready and reliable for commuting 100 miles one way at least twice a month.

The alternative is turn it in on this cash for clunkers program towards a new vehicle, either for myself if it's possible or for my mom who will then give me her '03 Toyota 4Runner. It's a V6, 2wd, 60,000 miles. Very reliable and the A/C works! Basically essential in Florida summertime. Drives well, gets better mileage than my truck does currently and would serve all my purposes.

Well that's a really long post but everything is laid out. All the facts. Please weigh in and let me know where you would go if presented with this situation.

chillmiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 ohv
Transmission
Automatic
keep it =( btw what collage you goin to?

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
keep it. and get the 4runner

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Keep it. Definately. Either that or sell it.

chillmiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 ohv
Transmission
Automatic
tampa!!!!!!!!!! omg i can so stalk you!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D you like a hop skip and a shift away :D

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic
With a strong running motor and drivetrain i'd say keep it! All the brake work i could fix in my driveway on a saturday afternoon. A/C whats that? Open the windows and drive fast. All the others i would just deal with when i got the money... I've driven with bald 32 inch mudders too no biggie just stay on the road until you can afford replacements. Or you can just sell to me... What ever you decide.

chillmiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 ohv
Transmission
Automatic
p.s ill sell ya my stockers for 75 bucks lol

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
With a strong running motor and drivetrain i'd say keep it! All the brake work i could fix in my driveway on a saturday afternoon. A/C whats that? Open the windows and drive fast. All the others i would just deal with when i got the money... I've driven with bald 32 inch mudders too no biggie just stay on the road until you can afford replacements. Or you can just sell to me... What ever you decide.
A/C down here is essential. I've driven without it all summer and been pretty miserable. Especially in 4:30 traffic. I don't have a problem with bald tires but these are about 25% tread on the inside and 60% on the outside, really uneven. Might see if I can trade them for a set of all terrains. Much better on the highway.

chillmiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 ohv
Transmission
Automatic
hey i aint got that a/c here and i live in ruskin so come on you gots them 2 55's and a cup holder you all gud

lul

chillmiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 ohv
Transmission
Automatic
p.s i havent slept yet so im kinda between doorgunner and a total idiot just not as funny

DannyG

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you already have most of the parts needed to fix the things that are wrong, I say go for it.

Borrowing money from you parents isn't all that bad. Yes you want to be independent but trust me, if you are reasonable in your borrowing and pay them back one way or the other they shouldn't mind.

That and neither you or your parents would be laid-end with car payments. That and I think it ends in a couple weeks.

Keep a unique vehicle, you will be happy that you do.

What you going to school for anyways?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Keep it. Definately. Either that or sell it.
that makes no sense, complete oximoron, any way id keep it, dont let the gov get what they want, and besides if it runs good thats good enough reason too keep it, take a weekend off and get some friends and go to town on the little things.

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
If you already have most of the parts needed to fix the things that are wrong, I say go for it.

Borrowing money from you parents isn't all that bad. Yes you want to be independent but trust me, if you are reasonable in your borrowing and pay them back one way or the other they shouldn't mind.

That and neither you or your parents would be laid-end with car payments. That and I think it ends in a couple weeks.

Keep a unique vehicle, you will be happy that you do.

What you going to school for anyways?
Oh ya I'll definitely pay them back, just no idea when. I'm still waiting on student loan information. I really love the truck and want to keep it but moneywise it doesn't seem like the wise choice. A car payment wouldn't be that bad, my parents aren't rich by any means but we're fairly well off.

For school, I have an A.A. in Pre-Engineering and am transferring to go for my B.S. in mechanical engineering.

chillmiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 ohv
Transmission
Automatic
keep keep keep keep keep :p get it..... KEEP IT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals