• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tips on changing the Ignition Module

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
If you put silicone in there I feel for you if you ever have to try and 'pry' it out in such a small space without being able to see what your doing.

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
A coupla quick thoughts . . .

A 5.5mm socket is ~.217", while a 7/32" socket is ~.219", and might be easier to find. (Mine's a 5.5mm.)

Also, I found that the round recessed hole which contains the TFI bolts was very small, and a standard 5.5mm socket would not go in deep enough to grip the bolt head. I had to grind/turn down the socket to make it thin enough to fit inside the $#!&^%#! hole to grip the bolt. It might be worthwhile to buy a tool. (I actually turned mine down on a lathe to make it fit.)

Given the efforts Ford has gone to to make TFI changing difficult, I'll bet the bolt covers are just put there to be one more hindrance to do-it-yourselfer types. Ford faced a lawsuit over refusing to pay for replacement of defective TFI's, so may have wanted to limit DIY fooling with it.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
sealing up those holes isn't necessary. the tfi module is a sealed unit so you don't need any caps or silicone in there, I cut one apart to make a remote mount adapter and in doing so I discovered that they are actually very well sealed. The electronics are covered in a silicone substance even in the cheap ones, the cover to the electronics pops right off in most cases so sealing up the bolt holes isn't going to do crap. By far the easiest route to take in removal is to get the special wrench for the module. by the time you factor in the time to make such a socket you could have bought the tool and saved money.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The problem is that the tool almost never pulls both bolts without stripping out. I have bought four of them from different companies and not one of them worked. My Snap-on 7/32 socket has pulled many of them even after the tool rounded. It may depend on where you live, We have a lot of rust/corrosion here.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
ive never had a problem with my tfi wrench and this part of NY definitely isn't a stranger to salt. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
if you use a tfi wrench there will be no problem, I've done it loads of times. you can get one at any autoparts store for less than $10 you don't even need to pull the distributor cap to get the module out.
....................................................................................................
do you know if there are any good ways to test an ignition module, before replacing one...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
.................................................. ..................................................
anyone heard of these, and have any idea, if a Actron CP9087 Engine Ignition Module and Sensor Tester will work for testing, as advertised... and if it would be worth buying...

Actron CP9087 Engine Ignition Module and Sensor Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
List Price: $70.99
Price: $43.23 & this item ships for FREE. Details
You Save: $27.76 (39%)
Availability: In Stock.
Product Features

Checks system sensors
Includes O2, knock, and crankshaft sensors
Designed to combine ignition module
Back probe included for in-circuit testing
Operated by 9-volt battery

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
.................................................. ..................................................
anyone heard of these, and have any idea, if a Actron CP9087 Engine Ignition Module and Sensor Tester will work for testing, as advertised... and if it would be worth buying...

Actron CP9087 Engine Ignition Module and Sensor Tester
List Price: $70.99
Price: $43.23 & this item ships for FREE. Details
You Save: $27.76 (39%)
Availability: In Stock.
]

Not really sure of the test guage/devise that your referring to..as to whether it is accurate or not..easy to use??, etc???, if you have the money to get it...great!

Most major parts stores can test ignition modules for free...I did mine at O-Riellys. Just ask when getting new parts at your favorite/preffered place. a little phone time can save you some running.

There are Ohm readings and testing procedures here in the TRS Tech library too. ...http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.html

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals