• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

This thing rides like a......truck.......

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the feedback but the Bilstein units are outside of my budget.

monsterchuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Volkswagen
Engine Size
Compression-ignition
Transmission
Manual
I notice you said you had LT tires on your truck. That can definitely cause rough riding issues on a vehicle as light as a Ranger. What load range are they? You can change shocks, but it might not help as much as you hope.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Bilstiens aren't that expensive. Sounds to me you can't afford to be picky. Run what you have.

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
monsterchuck said:
I notice you said you had LT tires on your truck. That can definitely cause rough riding issues on a vehicle as light as a Ranger. What load range are they? You can change shocks, but it might not help as much as you hope.
I think you might be right.

Load Index: 120
Load Index Translation: 3086 lbs.
6.2 said:
Bilstiens aren't that expensive. Sounds to me you can't afford to be picky. Run what you have.
I guess it depends on your definition of 'expensive'. The Bilsteins I found for my Ranger were about $100 each. I can't afford to be that picky. I'm happy for you that you can be.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
And anything worth buying that will give you what you want, will cost $100. Hence, my comment.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I guess it depends on your definition of 'expensive'. The Bilsteins I found for my Ranger were about $100 each. I can't afford to be that picky. I'm happy for you that you can be.
It wouldn't take much to improve over shot original. I am very happy with my nitro skyjacker shocks, hands down better than what was on there... With lt tires

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Dave, I had another thought. Ranger cabs are mounted on rubber cab mounts. Mine were really dry rotted which cause the cab to sag, which was obvious by the body line between the cab and the bed. These loose mounts made bumps a lot more intense because the cab would bounce and shake over the bumps.

You could tighten the bolts to secure the bad to the frame, but the runner cushioning was gone. There are metal sleeves that line the bushings and they would crimp down until the bottom out so it would be like the cab was welded to the frame.

You can replace them with stock rubber which would restore the ride quality or you can replace them with poly urethane bushings that don't rot, but they are firmer by material properties. I opted for the polyurethane to prevent further rot which solved the shaking problem to lessen the shaking, but you can definitely tell they are not rubber by ride quality.

Just some food for thought... Hope you can solve your ride issues.

Another more extreme measure would be to install softer rear springs and install air bags for helpers. This could also alleviate the harsh ride.

Sent from my iPhone

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'll take a look at those mount insulators. However, I would not be surprised if they're in good/great shape as this is a southern truck. However, just because the truck is from down south doesn't mean they're not getting tired.

At this point, I think it might have more to do with the tires, load rating and the fact there's 35 psi in them. I am getting ~18 MPG though.....:icon_thumby:

I wonder what taking one leaf, out of each leaf pack, would accomplish.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think rubber would take salt water better than heat...

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'll take a look at those mount insulators. However, I would not be surprised if they're in good/great shape as this is a southern truck. However, just because the truck is from down south doesn't mean they're not getting tired.

At this point, I think it might have more to do with the tires, load rating and the fact there's 35 psi in them. I am getting ~18 MPG though.....:icon_thumby:

I wonder what taking one leaf, out of each leaf pack, would accomplish.
I run 25 psi with 255/70R16's P metrics, not LT tires. They still do not contact the road at the outside edges of the tires! You may get better mileage at 35psi but I bet you are burning the center out of those tires and getting a bad ride from them.

Note I air-up if I am carrying anything of wieght in the bed and won't carry heavy loads. I don't need the load rating and bad ride of a "C" rated LT tire do you?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I run 25 psi with 255/70R16's P metrics, not LT tires. They still do not contact the road at the outside edges of the tires! You may get better mileage at 35psi but I bet you are burning the center out of those tires and getting a bad ride from them.

Note I air-up if I am carrying anything of wieght in the bed and won't carry heavy loads. I don't need the load rating and bad ride of a "C" rated LT tire do you?
I have ran 30psi in mine for 14 years... tires wear fine. Load range c tires ride fine too.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have ran 30psi in mine for 14 years... tires wear fine. Load range c tires ride fine too.
I would assume you are running stock size tires, rotate as required and maybe have some weight in the bed??

We can disagree, load range C LT's have stiffer sidewalls and do not ride as well as a lessor rated tire.

I am not discounting the effects of worn shocks, that added with 35 psi in a LT tire is likely the culprit in this case.

Been playing with trucks for 35 years.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
31x10.5-15's. Up until 3 years ago it had P rated 235/75-15's on it.

I don't always have stuff in the bed but I don't only use it as a car either.

I didn't notice a big difference switching from p rated 235/75-15 Dunlop Mud Rovers (before that it had cheap car tires of the same size) to my current LT Firestone Destination MTs.

Switching out the who-knows-how-old rusty shocks for new ones made a new truck out of it. I maintain the OP should check that out before picking on the tires too much.

Last edited:

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The reason for the LT tires: when I bought the truck, two (rear) tires were shot (right down to the wear bars). The two others (front) were almost new (90% tread depth), complete with the "air escape" nubs. So, in the interest of saving a little money, I replaced the worn out tires with two new ones (same make/model as the nearly new ones).

The shocks are here and I'll try to get them on this weekend.

I wonder what ~200 lbs. of sand, over the rear axle, would do. Winter is coming but the truck does have 4WD.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I wonder what ~200 lbs. of sand, over the rear axle, would do. Winter is coming but the truck does have 4WD.
I put-in an extra 120lbs, two of the "Tube Sand" bags made for the purpose and over the rear axle. It helps a bunch. Lowes or Home Depot has had them in the past.

I recently eliminated about 100lbs of weight aft of the rear axle which has helped the handling.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals