• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thermal compound used for TFI module...??

kxri318

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1986 Ford Ranger with the 2.9 and A4LD auto and the TFI module has been consistently overheating on long drives (30+ mins). I changed the thermal compound to Arctic MX-4 and screwed it back down pretty tight with no improvement. I then decided to relocate the module to the fender with a heatsink off of a 90s F150 and it still ends up overheating on drives, but seems to be a little more tame with how fast it started overheating. After driving for about an hour or so, I could feel my truck misfiring a little hard so I figured the module was overheating. I pulled into the garage and touched the heatsink to see how hot it was and it was barely warm. Either the thermal paste isn't effectively transferring the heat, or my module isn't the problem. What thermal paste have you guys successfully used on yours?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I have a 1986 Ford Ranger with the 2.9 and A4LD auto and the TFI module has been consistently overheating on long drives (30+ mins). I changed the thermal compound to Arctic MX-4 and screwed it back down pretty tight with no improvement. I then decided to relocate the module to the fender with a heatsink off of a 90s F150 and it still ends up overheating on drives, but seems to be a little more tame with how fast it started overheating. After driving for about an hour or so, I could feel my truck misfiring a little hard so I figured the module was overheating. I pulled into the garage and touched the heatsink to see how hot it was and it was barely warm. Either the thermal paste isn't effectively transferring the heat, or my module isn't the problem. What thermal paste have you guys successfully used on yours?
Youre using a grey, motorcraft branded module?

kxri318

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Youre using a grey, motorcraft branded module?
Its a gray no name brand module. I have another no name brand module I could try in its place, but I've never owned a motorcraft module as the truck came with an aftermarket one. Have tried both modules on the distributor mounting place and both overheated. Didn't try my spare on the fender-mounted heatsink though

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
You should have had a big difference moving the module. It most likley is not the module. Have you ever changed the pickup in the distributor? The early ones had a problem when they got oil soaked, they would swell.

Don't get a rebuilt distributor, go to rockauto and get a new pickup module and put it in yourself. It's somewhat of a job, but the cardone "rebuilt" distributor I bought was just painted on the outside, and still have the old sticky oil on the inside. I ended up getting the module and replacing it in the $80 rebuilt distributor and my mis fire problem went away.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
And my module is still mounted to the distributor.

kxri318

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You should have had a big difference moving the module. It most likley is not the module. Have you ever changed the pickup in the distributor? The early ones had a problem when they got oil soaked, they would swell.

Don't get a rebuilt distributor, go to rockauto and get a new pickup module and put it in yourself. It's somewhat of a job, but the cardone "rebuilt" distributor I bought was just painted on the outside, and still have the old sticky oil on the inside. I ended up getting the module and replacing it in the $80 rebuilt distributor and my mis fire problem went away.
This part, right? https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1986,ranger,2.9l+177cid+v6,1137495,ignition,distributor+pickup+coil,7176

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if mine is caked in oil and junk because this truck has had oil leaks that look like they were left alone to leak for 25 years.

Would it being oil soaked only make it start misfiring bad after long drives though?

Last edited:

kxri318

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic

Also, I've heard you would get code 14 if there was a failing pip sensor, but I'm not getting any codes like that when I scan it. Just don't wanna go removing the distributor and buying parts if I'm not sure something is up with it. Did you get any codes like that when yours was failing?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I had intermittent problems for awhile, and then once I did get a code 14. So apparently the computer has a hard time discerning this problem. And sometimes as much as you hate to, you do have to make a educated guess sometimes.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals