• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The Moddbox kit - worth it?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
July 1st, Canada Day, although a week off...............nice place to work, lol

Like 4th of July in the states

Today was actually "Bring your 2.9l to work day"
But the "to work" part was the problem, so its being changed to "Bring your 2.9l to work-on day"
Just makes more sense

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sounds like it's a very small operation, like the one I work for. The boss was on holidays for the last week but myself and one and a half other guys worked. Perhaps it's even smaller and it's a one man operation.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Today was actually "Bring your 2.9l to work day"
But the "to work" part was the problem, so its being changed to "Bring your 2.9l to work-on day"
Just makes more sense
7qp38d.jpg

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Hmm, we might have to get together at some point, I’d like to take a close look at this stuff, it’s been something rattling around in my “at some point I’d like to do” list for quite some time….

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Finally shipped.

Now it's due the 21st of July.

What the heck, Canada....

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lame = can't walk well

Never really needed to because we don't use 2.9l engines, so we can drive as needed
I just saw this.

🖕🏿

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
Coming in second just makes you the first loser!
I'm thinking about doing the same thing to my Ranger. I have about $10k to throw at my truck from selling my house. I thought about buying a 2019 FX4 with the Ford Performance upgrade or doing a 5.0 Coyote engine swap but neither worked out. Really didn't want another car payment and the 5.0 swap was looking like $35k-$40k! So I'm now looking at putting a supercharger on my 2007 which I just put an engine with 84k and timing chains done. I came to this forum to ask some questions and saw the thread. Don't mean to hijack it but I think asking the questions here will help others with the same ones. I'm wondering how much boost the SOHC can safely handle, how much boost would be enough to make it worth it and can the transmission handle it? EGR delete is not a problem because, even though MA is a CA compliant state, the truck is over 15 years old and they don't do emmissions any longer. The other thing is, my oil fill has like an extention on it and I wonder if the intake tube will run into it. :dntknw:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I'm thinking about doing the same thing to my Ranger. I have about $10k to throw at my truck from selling my house. I thought about buying a 2019 FX4 with the Ford Performance upgrade or doing a 5.0 Coyote engine swap but neither worked out. Really didn't want another car payment and the 5.0 swap was looking like $35k-$40k! So I'm now looking at putting a supercharger on my 2007 which I just put an engine with 84k and timing chains done. I came to this forum to ask some questions and saw the thread. Don't mean to hijack it but I think asking the questions here will help others with the same ones. I'm wondering how much boost the SOHC can safely handle, how much boost would be enough to make it worth it and can the transmission handle it? EGR delete is not a problem because, even though MA is a CA compliant state, the truck is over 15 years old and they don't do emmissions any longer. The other thing is, my oil fill has like an extention on it and I wonder if the intake tube will run into it. :dntknw:

i would wager you will be happy with this modbox setup.

making new oil fill locations is a potential pia, as they are left and right specific... but not overly difficult either.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I thought about doing methanol injection again, or going intercooler/interchiller path. Not sure yet tbh. Running is the goal for now, then on to more fun stuff. I think front coilovers are going to take precedence over boost stuff once the blower is on.

I have a SCT tuner for the truck already (I don't use it, 5 star tunes suck). Will probably get it tuned at some point.

i think you may be jumping the gun on that.

with the supercharger....5 star can get you into the power better for sure. not sure on your fueling scenario...but i would go with new bigger injectors for sure that can narrow pulse well...just make sure you get complete injector data and a good adjustable fpr.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If you look around on the mod box website a lot of these questions are answered.

They don’t recommend more than 3.5psi without bigger injectors and some kind of cooling, either intercooler or meth spray.

The easiest way to describe the basic setup with 3.5psi. Felt like I took about 400lbs out of the bed. For me it was well worth it.

I have drove this truck 70miles a day for about two years and have had only a couple issues, but nothing catastrophic. Little over 30k miles on the kit.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I did have an issue recently with a hunk of heater hose that goes to the blow off from the lower intake rotting out from the oil being recirculated through the intake from the pcv.

I can’t for the life of me remember if that came with the kit or not. I feel like it did.

So don’t use that piece of hose, find something that will not melt from the petroleum based product.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm thinking about doing the same thing to my Ranger. I have about $10k to throw at my truck from selling my house. I thought about buying a 2019 FX4 with the Ford Performance upgrade or doing a 5.0 Coyote engine swap but neither worked out. Really didn't want another car payment and the 5.0 swap was looking like $35k-$40k! So I'm now looking at putting a supercharger on my 2007 which I just put an engine with 84k and timing chains done. I came to this forum to ask some questions and saw the thread. Don't mean to hijack it but I think asking the questions here will help others with the same ones. I'm wondering how much boost the SOHC can safely handle, how much boost would be enough to make it worth it and can the transmission handle it? EGR delete is not a problem because, even though MA is a CA compliant state, the truck is over 15 years old and they don't do emissions any longer. The other thing is, my oil fill has like an extention on it and I wonder if the intake tube will run into it. :dntknw:
On the oil fill, I just removed the extension piece and put the oil fill cap under the intake hose. So I need to loosen one screw clamp on the intake hose and remove the hose from the throttle body to fill oil. Big deal, it happens somewhere between once a quarter and once a year. I would not do an egr delete, there are good reasons to keep it. If you read the writeup I did here on TRS about the kit, you will see that I bought a different egr valve that has a different orientation for the inlet. It fits fine and works fine.

How much boost the sohc engine can handle is a bit tricky to answer. The head gaskets are not great on these engines to begin with, and guys who have done a lot of boost say that if you run any boost eventually the head gaskets will let go. I have up to 6-7 psi available but very rarely go over 4 psi boost, and have close to 20k miles on it now with no issues.

What you can get away with before you have to tune really has to do with how much you like to mash your foot to the floor, and how fast you rev the engine. If you almost never rev it past 4k rpm, and if you rarely run over 4 psi boost, the stock tune will be fine. The tune I am running now is not that much different from the stock tune, and I fit the criteria of the last sentence. If you are going to run it harder, then you definitely need a good tune and a larger fuel pump.

If your transmission is in good condition then it will handle the increased power just fine. Sure, it might have a little shorter life, but you are not going to blow it up unless it already has some issue.

As others have mentioned, even 4 psi is a nice improvement. However, if I was in a situation where I didn't have to worry about emissions testing, I would build a nice 5.0 Windsor to about 400hp and 400 ft-lbs and drop that in because that will be much more fun and even more reliable. You could easily build the engine and trans from an Explorer to be bulletproof and install it in the Ranger for the budget you have mentioned.

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
Coming in second just makes you the first loser!
I found a blower online and bought it. It says it has 138k on it so I want to have it rebuilt. Should I send it out or is it something any mechanic can handle? I watched a couple videos and the only thing I'm concerned about is the coating on the rotors. I don't think that's something anyone can do. Or is it?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals