• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The Moddbox kit - worth it?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
So, funds are finally available to pull the trigger on the Moddbox kit.

My question is - for those of you that have put one on, was it worth it? Would you do it again?

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i know you asked me this before, but I’ll repost it here to be seen. Plus a couple other things I thought of

Only two issues I've had is with the EGR and the Modbox supplied fuel pump. Other then that, everything runs well.

The original EGR does not fit, it interferes with the coil pack. I flipped it upside down, and everything fits ok, but there is not a good way to route the flexible extension tube that goes from the exhaust to the EGR, and with too much vibration it will break. I've tried re routing it a few different ways. I seen someone else used a EGR from a Mustang that has the bung facing a different direction, claims everything fits much better, I will try that eventually.

Modbox supplied fuel pump took a shit after a couple of months, just seized up while driving with no warning. Ended up installing a Walborro 255L pump from Summit and has been good ever since.

Biggest complaint is the placement of the throttle body requires me to remove the intake tube to change the oil. The tube goes right over the fill cap. I also kept the original air box instead of cutting it up and installing the cone filter that came with the kit.

I like that they have extra NPT ports threaded into the manifold. Makes it easy to a vacuum gauge or whatever later if you don’t do it right away.
I also like that the mounting bracket for the TB cable is adjustable, so you can adjust out the slack in the cable. All the aluminum bits seems well made, it’s just the ancillary stuff that isn’t impressive. For the price of the kit, I’m ok with it.

Fuel economy went up from a solid 17 to around 20. Still have not had it tuned.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
i know you asked me this before, but I’ll repost it here to be seen. Plus a couple other things I thought of

Only two issues I've had is with the EGR and the Modbox supplied fuel pump. Other then that, everything runs well.

The original EGR does not fit, it interferes with the coil pack. I flipped it upside down, and everything fits ok, but there is not a good way to route the flexible extension tube that goes from the exhaust to the EGR, and with too much vibration it will break. I've tried re routing it a few different ways. I seen someone else used a EGR from a Mustang that has the bung facing a different direction, claims everything fits much better, I will try that eventually.

Modbox supplied fuel pump took a shit after a couple of months, just seized up while driving with no warning. Ended up installing a Walborro 255L pump from Summit and has been good ever since.

Biggest complaint is the placement of the throttle body requires me to remove the intake tube to change the oil. The tube goes right over the fill cap. I also kept the original air box instead of cutting it up and installing the cone filter that came with the kit.

I like that they have extra NPT ports threaded into the manifold. Makes it easy to a vacuum gauge or whatever later if you don’t do it right away.
I also like that the mounting bracket for the TB cable is adjustable, so you can adjust out the slack in the cable. All the aluminum bits seems well made, it’s just the ancillary stuff that isn’t impressive. For the price of the kit, I’m ok with it.

Fuel economy went up from a solid 17 to around 20. Still have not had it tuned.
Appreciate the (second) response that way it's on record.

It's down between the moddbox kit or a trade and a newer 'yota.

Not sure which I'm going with.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Well. Kit is ordered and blower is rebuilt.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I’m glad so many people replied to this thread to convince you not to buy a Toyota. :p
48k used.

Ouch.

I'll stick to my sh*tboxes.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sorry I missed this earlier in the week, but yes I think its worth it. Here at 5000+ elevation, the 4.0L is not very enthusiastic and having boost makes a significant difference. I don't really see any fuel economy improvement, but that may be due to having the boost gauge in "plus" territory fairly often...

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Also, I had the same experience with their fuel pump - it lasted a couple months and then was dead. The first time I changed it, I planned it and had only a gallon or two of fuel in the tank, but the second time it was half full so that was a real pain. I think I should recommend that you not use the fuel pump they supply...

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Also, I had the same experience with their fuel pump - it lasted a couple months and then was dead. The first time I changed it, I planned it and had only a gallon or two of fuel in the tank, but the second time it was half full so that was a real pain. I think I should recommend that you not use the fuel pump they supply...
Already have a Kemso 240 lph in the tank. Has been a really good pump so far.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Sorry I missed this earlier in the week, but yes I think its worth it. Here at 5000+ elevation, the 4.0L is not very enthusiastic and having boost makes a significant difference. I don't really see any fuel economy improvement, but that may be due to having the boost gauge in "plus" territory fairly often...
How many psi pulley are you running?

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I get 6-7 psi at wot and higher rpms, but keep in mind that here at this elevation it takes over 2psi to get to the equivalent air going in the cylinders as sea level. I have the meth injection set to come on around 5psi and rarely am into it that much.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I thought about doing methanol injection again, or going intercooler/interchiller path. Not sure yet tbh. Running is the goal for now, then on to more fun stuff. I think front coilovers are going to take precedence over boost stuff once the blower is on.

I have a SCT tuner for the truck already (I don't use it, 5 star tunes suck). Will probably get it tuned at some point.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
fwiw, I have also done the supercharger with the older rpcaster kit. The Moddbox kit is significantly better, imho, mostly due to the better flow capabilities of the lower intake.

As long as you keep it under 4000 rpm and don't have more than 6-7 psi you will be fine with the stock tune, based on my experience. The main things I have changed in the tune I have in there now is to tell it how to fuel with loads over 1.00 (more than 100 volumetric efficiency airflow) and to bump timing for lower loads to take advantage of the higher octane fuel.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
fwiw, I have also done the supercharger with the older rpcaster kit. The Moddbox kit is significantly better, imho, mostly due to the better flow capabilities of the lower intake.

As long as you keep it under 4000 rpm and don't have more than 6-7 psi you will be fine with the stock tune, based on my experience. The main things I have changed in the tune I have in there now is to tell it how to fuel with loads over 1.00 (more than 100 volumetric efficiency airflow) and to bump timing for lower loads to take advantage of the higher octane fuel.
I actually have a RP Caster kit on the shelf I'm planning to sell off. It looked reasonable, but I got mine after he quit doing the machining to the intake tube. Couldn't find a local machinist willing to finish it for under $600, so I shelved it.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Ahem...

LAME. CANADA IS LAME.

Screenshot_20230626_195907.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals