• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The gun thread...

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
One thing about a .22 is it is a gun you can afford to have a ton of fun with.

I got to play with one of these last weekend. A lot of money for a measly .22LR... but my gawd was it fun to shoot.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Rimfire-Rifles/Semiautomatic|/pc/104792580/c/105530580/sc/104800680/Colt174-M4-Ops-22-LR-Semiautomatic-Tactical-Rimfire-Rifle/710003.uts?destination=/catalog/browse/shooting-rimfire-rifles-semiautomatic/_/N-1102344/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104800680?WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104792580%3Bcat105530580&WTz_l=SBC;MMcat104792580;cat105530580;cat104800680

I have one little voice in my head saying that it would a fun gun to mess around with, and the other voice saying I need a new shotgun for deer hunting worse. Decisions decisions... :icon_confused:
screw that, go buy a ruger 10/22. you can by hundred round mags for those and it'll do the same thing. you can get a bull barrel for it as well, which i think it a must for .22.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
screw that, go buy a ruger 10/22. you can by hundred round mags for those and it'll do the same thing. you can get a bull barrel for it as well, which i think it a must for .22.
I keep coming back to my $80 Mossberg 702 anyway, neither a 10/22 or M4 has anything on it aside from magizine capacity in reality and if I ever track down the 35rd mags they just came out with I can't complain about that. Dad has a 10/22 and I just can't get crazy about shooting it, just feels clunky... who knows how many shots have been through it though. I have no interest in dragging a bull barrel around.

A .22LR is a better round to me than the .223 for the real one. Too big for varmits, too small for deer (in my state) and over twice the money to buy the gun and the price of ammo can't compete either.

The the .22 M4 is just a nice feeling gun to shoot though, I will probably leave my rimfire section alone and go with a new slug gun but it is fun to think about anyway.

Last edited:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I keep coming back to my $80 Mossberg 702 that doesn't miss a beat though, a 10/22 doesn't have anything on it aside from magizine capacity and if I ever track down the 35rd mags they just came out with I can't complain about that. It shoots where I point it and I have no interest dragging a bull barrel through the woods.

The the .22 M4 is just a nice feeling gun to shoot though, I will probably leave my rimfire section alone and go with a new slug gun but it is neat to think about anyway.
i hear ya. i just suggested the 10/22 b/c it is the AR of the rimfire world, as far as accessories are concerned. i dont own one and i never will. my buddy had one that was really picky. he had the 50 round mags for it, but it wouldnt cycle after 3 or 4 rounds almost every time we went out. tried all sorts of ammo in it.

i only have 10 round mags for my savage F64V, but i found bullets that it likes and it cycles them through everytime.

one .22 is enough. i've put 10,000 rounds through mine at least and it still functions like the day i bought it. if it ever breaks, i'll just go buy a new one. i'm not droppping more than $150 on one though

lone-wolf

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I don't think that is true. I know I have seen them with a full 30 round load.
It's a dumb Canadian thing. All handgun magazines have to be pinned to 10rds.
There are people working on getting rid of the bill that introduced these useless laws. Really, they think someone who has murder planned, will be deterred by a aluminum rivet in the magazine? Knee jerked laws, passed to make people who have no idea about firearms feel better, even though it only really punishes the law abiding firearm owner while the criminals operate as normal.

10/22, the only reliable magazines I found are the 10rd ruger ones, followed by Tactical Inc 25rd ones.

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
here's the 30-06 ammo that's dead accurate, and deadly... these and bthp is all i use. we reload our own. have about 800 rounds ready at any given time..

hornady a-max!

recommend them to any hunters out there for sure.

also the lever revolutions are great for lever actions. just don't know if they make them for reloads yet. all you could do was get preloaded ones..

JC 97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4" suspension
Tire Size
31x10.5
Anybody know the worth of a Model 1917 Remington 30-06?Made in 1918.I have one and want to get rid of it.I have seen some prices in the $700 range.

lone-wolf

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic

74duster318

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and 302
Transmission
Manual
Anybody know the worth of a Model 1917 Remington 30-06?Made in 1918.I have one and want to get rid of it.I have seen some prices in the $700 range.
If it's in really nice shape, I'd say 600-700 wouldn't be too hard to get. Otherwise average price is a bit less. I don't see nearly as many collectors of the M1917, and sad to say...I don't even have one! I was at Cabela's today, and they had one for $800. Didn't look it over to see the details of condition or matching numbers, but it looked nice. Their prices are a bit high for used guns, but it's a good starting point.:icon_thumby:

One random thing I've noticed is almost every one of them I see, the sling is never installed properly.

And about the AR's in 22lr. Cabela's has a special on the Mossberg AR-22 for $200. Don't know the quality of them, but it sounds pretty cheap considering the Colt branded one is twice the price.

Cabela's also has a deal where if you renew your NRA membership there for $25, they give you a $25 gift card you can use right away....so it's basically free if you're planning on buying anything. If anybody lives near a Cabela's, you may want to go check out their 50th anniversary deals this weekend.:icon_thumby:

JC 97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4" suspension
Tire Size
31x10.5
Thanks for the info.It is in overall good shape.The bolt has the bluing pretty much gone.The bore looks really good.I saw one on gunbrokers for $1200 but there were not any bids.It looked to be in the same condition as mine, but I don't think it would get $1200.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Did the thread search...no info found...but I know you guys have the answer, just as soon as you get thru laffing at my problem.

I finally got the nerve to buy a wea....errr....rifle....Win. Mod 94 30-30 .....

I need an insert that will reduce it to accept pistol rounds (just for target practice....since Viet Nam War I haven't had the desire to shoot a weapon...but I think I could handle target shooting with havong any flashbacks....maybe)

Any positive suggestions are appreciated (yep...I already know it's goofy)

:icon_bounceblue:

edit: remind me that I posted this....... :icon_rofl:

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Did the thread search...no info found...but I know you guys have the answer, just as soon as you get thru laffing at my problem.

I finally got the nerve to buy a wea....errr....rifle....Win. Mod 94 30-30 .....

I need an insert that will reduce it to accept pistol rounds (just for target practice....since Viet Nam War I haven't had the desire to shoot a weapon...but I think I could handle target shooting with havong any flashbacks....maybe)

http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm

Right side of the page under 32ACP. :icon_thumby:

I'll show you mine if you show me yours.:icon_rofl: I have a Winchester mod. 94 AE in 44 Mag. and another Winchester mod. 94 AE in 357 Mag.

-Jester

Last edited:

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm

Right side of the page under 32ACP. :icon_thumby:

I'll show you mine if you show me yours.:icon_rofl: I have a Winchester mod. 94 AE in 44 Mag. and another Winchester mod. 94 AE in 357 Mag.

-Jester
So...I'll be able to fire 32 cal pistol ammo...sounds good to me...I don't need all the kick & noise of the 30-30 for lots of laid-back target practice (less noise=less flashbacks). I fired about 10 rounds yesterday at a target set up near the tree-line...twice I saw the N.V.A (enemy) running from left to right...but I told myself "calm down--you're just hallucinating! Now....if they'd have been running straight toward me.....(ahhhhh...the joy of being an old veteran)

I'll get a couple pics tomorrow...I always wanted one of them "Routy Yates (Clint Eastwood)" rifles from when I was a little kid...so I found one with a lot of surface wear on it--the riflings look like it was hardly fired...it's only 40 years old, but it looks like it was manufactured in the 1890s....:icon_rofl:

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

You might keep your eye out for a model '94 Marlin, they shoot pistol calibers and are very common for Cowboy Action Shooting. .38spl and .45LC are the most common rounds. A .38 with a typical cowboy load is comparable to a BB gun. They are much easier to disassemble than the '94 Winchester too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1BwUJ4--Qw

And about the AR's in 22lr. Cabela's has a special on the Mossberg AR-22 for $200. Don't know the quality of them, but it sounds pretty cheap considering the Colt branded one is twice the price.
The Colt is 2-3x the money but is 10x the gun.

The Mossberg Tactical .22 is a 702 in a plastic shell. It is a great gun (like I mentioned I love mine) but it looks and feels just like what it is in real life... a gun of a completely different genra in a costume. I would rather get the blah gun that I didn't have to sight in every time I clean it for less money. My like new 702 was $80 on the used rack at my local Cabelas a couple years ago.

The mags are interchangable with the 702's, that is why I am wanting to sneak up on a couple for mine. :secret:

If you get bored sometime compare them, there is quite a difference between them.

Last edited:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, I finally broke down and got a little pistol now that Wis has the CC law. I did say little, it's a Ruger LCP 380. Haven't fired it yet but bought enough ammo to break it in. Small enough to carry in shirt pocket. Friend has one and loves it, he even sent a picture of it in his pants pockets.
Dave of the Nord

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals