• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The gun thread...

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
what's a ported barrel? you mean fluted?
No, he means ported. Here are a few examples.

I had a Remington 700 and had nothing but problems...
Blame Cerberus Capital for that. It's a shame, Remington was a great company. Lets hope that Marlin doesn't suffer the same fate.(they were bought by Remington/CC last year)
Only thing I don't like about the new 110 is the synthetic stock
The Accustock? That is a phenomenal factory stock, or are you talking about the traditional Savage tupperware? Those are garbage, but Savage offers the 110 in Hardwood, and Laminate stocks along with the Accustock, and the Savage Tupperware, they also offer it with an HS Precision stock.

Here are some of my toys.

-Jester

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i've had a remginton 700 of some sort since 2002 and never had a misfire. shot it all day and never had it fire unless i had the safety off and i was squeezing the trigger fully intending it to fire. the problems have come from people not being careful with guns or someone ****ing with the trigger that shouldnt have. this is what mine looks like now.

26" heavy barrel
HS precesion stock, aluminum bedded with a glass bedded recoil lug
harris bipod
nightforce 20MOA base
burris xtreme low rings

the only bolt gun i'll ever own. if it's good enough for the army and marines, it's good enough for me.

i see what you mean about the barrel porting, and i can see how it would make it louder. it's basically a built in muzzle brake and muzzle brakes always make guns louder. i guess i just didnt know what it was called. i would've called it a "built in muzzle brake" lol.

feeding problems? that's it? that's what caused "nothing but problems"? 2 minutes with a dremel could've fixed that.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
It had the cheap little regular stock on it. It's not the newer 110 either.. I prefer the wood stock on everything!

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
for a joe schmoe hunting rifle, i agree, wood is best. i use my 700p to hunt but that's b/c i dont have the fundage to get a new one....and i have other guns on the list to buy first. i just got a new shotgun i may use some this fall as well. the 700p only weighs 13 pounds fully loaded. it isnt that bad to tramp through the woods with. the 26" long barrel does piss me off sometimes though.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
the port on my savage is a lot like the last pic posted at the top of the page

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OK - new topic - shotguns. Most of the quail hunting I do is at a ranch in South TX that doesn't allow autos or pumps anymore. I was actually present when this dumb-ass doctor from Liberty TX started drinking beer at about 10:00 and shot at least three times over other people's heads over the course of the hunt. I've got an ancient Fox 12 Ga. side by side that is the only gun I have that meets the restrictions.

What do you guys think the best 20 gauge double barrel shotgun is for the money? I've looked at some Browning silver pigeons and stuff, but I really don't have a spare $1200 to drop on one. Ruger makes some pretty plain doubles that are ok, but don't light my fire. The one other thing is if possible, I'd really like an english stock. I've got one on another shotgun and like it a lot better than a pistol grip.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
what an idiot. drinking and shooting guns is just as bad as drinking and driving. you should've put that guy in the gut a few times and left.

it's not too good for bird hunting, unless that bird is an ostrich or turkey. but it'll put a damper on anyone's plans to try and break into your house. NC is changing to the laws so that if someone forces their way into your house, you have the right to assume they are there to do you harm and you have the right to use deadly force.

i had another thread up when i got it, but i didnt put it up here i dont think. mossberg 500 12 gauge. 20" barrel

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
seriously why a 20???? and idk how to answer that. only shotgun i use is a remington 1100 12g auto

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
not a fan of the auto's. my brother has an 1100 and it is really picky on shells. that's why i bought a pump. i know for sure it's going in there when i cycle the pump

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I prefer the pump also. But this 1100 is my dads and it's free to use lol

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i got a surprise... i like my guns.

first my savage i keep talking about.. found out today that my redfield is messed up. so i took it off, gonna ship it in for fix-- i got el cheapo on there as of today, but its been a great scope for my 30-30 so its on my 30-06 till the redfield gets back. oh well, pics!

next up is my 30-30, was my grandfathers. he gave it to me at the age of 6 or 7.

next is my mossburg 300 win. just an amazingly beautiful gun

it shoots really good, i just don't like hunting w/ it-- its to dang purdy lol

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OK - new topic - shotguns. Most of the quail hunting I do is at a ranch in South TX that doesn't allow autos or pumps anymore. I was actually present when this dumb-ass doctor from Liberty TX started drinking beer at about 10:00 and shot at least three times over other people's heads over the course of the hunt. I've got an ancient Fox 12 Ga. side by side that is the only gun I have that meets the restrictions.

What do you guys think the best 20 gauge double barrel shotgun is for the money? I've looked at some Browning silver pigeons and stuff, but I really don't have a spare $1200 to drop on one. Ruger makes some pretty plain doubles that are ok, but don't light my fire. The one other thing is if possible, I'd really like an english stock. I've got one on another shotgun and like it a lot better than a pistol grip.
My cousin just got a Stevens gold something or another over/under, he is tickled with it. Savage makes a cheaperish OU too.

Nothing wrong with a 20, that is my main gun. People shoot those little tweety birds with BB guns all the time, you don't need a Bofors AA gun to shoot a glorified pigeon. It does require being a better shot as they won't spread as much material to cover up a bad shot as well. You do your part and it will do its.

it shoots really good, i just don't like hunting w/ it-- its to dang purdy lol
It is nice to hear good reviews about them. I would love to find one to look at but nobody has ever had one for me to look at. I would be open to either a ATR or a 4x4 with the knockoff accutrigger if I could ever find one when I was in the market. I want blued with wood though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals