• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thanks for Letting me join "the club"

Slowly but surely

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Good afternoon ,
Already have found some great tips off this site. New to Rangers and Ford actually. Kids now driving and my cheap little commuter car is always gone now so needed a cheap "Dadmobile" for getting to work and stuff and I found a 2007 Ranger 3.0 Sport 2wd 5 spd. Was in so-so shape but super cheap and everything it needed was doable in my garage plus scrapyards here have prob 8 Rangers in there on any day for parts. Truck ran "OK" but at 200,000km or 125,000 miles it needed a refresh and everything he didn't have records of doing I assumed was due. Mine was owned since new by a older fella in his late 80's so it was babied but he drove dirt roads and the gravel really beats up the rear of truck and box was rusted bad. Found a matching box on exact same truck in scrapyard with zero rust for $175 and snagged it. Since I had box off I stripped rust off frame, bumper etc and put on POR 15 where I could and Fluid Film elsewhere. Also put in a new Fuel Pump/Filter since that was the time to do it with box off. New Spring Shackles , New shocks, New U-Joints, New Rear diff fluid/gasket/cover and rear Park Brake Cables as old ones were sticking. Couldn't save the tire carrier, what a poor design to make a tray out of steel that is literally a bowl to catch water and dirt and expect it to not rot?? I had some good steel around and welded up a very solid bracket/brace to replace Tire carrier and modded it to have brackets for evap to mount to. Will prob make a wheel lift later and mount to frame, for now the spare rides in box. In the front half very little rust just regular age and wear so flushed ALL fluids, amazing how quiet the power steering got after flushing the fluid. New Autolite dbl Plat Plugs (boy that dbl spark really does a job on plugs on half the plugs eh, old nickel ones worn so bad I have no idea how truck ran with crazy gap in some plugs). He had replaced clutch and slave only 25,000 miles ago so I just flushed the transmission and shifting/clutch both work perfect. Also got to play with Torsion Bars for first time as I redid the front end and replaced wheel bearings, upper control arms, lower arm bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends and shocks.( I should be getting an Xmas card from Rock Auto this year for sure, lol) Anyways what a difference in ride! Interior was pretty filthy so pulled seats out and plastic panels off everything but roof and cleaned up years of dirt and tightened loose nuts, sprayed a bit of rust protect film etc. Door sensor was gummed up with dirt/oil etc and after cleaning and tweaking things they work perfect now, yup dome comes on when open/off when door closed like supposed to. Friends have commented the interior looks like it just came off the lot now. On the outside I decided I wanted to fend off rust and didn't care if it looked non stock so I prepped paint and applied boxliner on lower panels, around wheel wells and on tailgate. The black matches truck and will see how it holds up to fading from sun. Truck ran fantastic for months but idle would be rough now and then. Then one day I got the check engine lite and put my reader on it. Cyl #1 misfire. I had read on here that Ranger rough idle is pretty common and some guys have gone to great extent and expense to to solve and some have done one simple change and it solved it. I had been expecting the engine light and had ordered a new Camshaft Synchro with sensor cap. Installed it and truck appeared to run better right away and good idle/no codes for a month. Then it started again this week. So when time allows I guess I will join the club of hunting for solution and testing things as I have heard can be caused by everything from Ign coil/Plugs/wires to Cam Shaft Synchro to Vac Hoses to dirty MAF/Throttle body to valve seats to head gasket or even various sensors. That is a lot of garage time chasing possibles when truck still runs fine other than rough idle sometimes. May be something that is just normal and you live with in Ranger 3.0's? Anyways so far I am liking this little Ranger, I got it cheap knowing it needed work and servicing and even after doing it all this thing is so cheap compared almost anything else comparable and cost me all in now prob an 8th of what a new one is. Plus it has the stock antitheft feature of manual tranny so prob most of younger gen can't drive it. cheers. Steve

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.

chickenman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Ive been reading the forum for a couple years. Im a redneck mechanic. I'm starting a tdi diesel swap and figured id join the forum. Im sure ill need help town the road with it. I got a 2008 2.3 5speed and a 94 4x4 5speed (the later will be subj to the swap). I also do custom radio installs.

chickenman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Hey I'm gonna loan ya my truck for a couple weeks, OK? :D Welcome to TRS man :)
Ahaha okay lol. just as long as i don't have to pay for the gas.😂 I think i got 15mpg this weekend when i drove the 98 from sc to ky.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
Welcome to TRS. We like to see pictures haha.

chickenman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Well, apparently a pervious owner of my truck was either a volunteer firefighter or a vigilante. I'm not sure how to upload a video, but there's a literal siren in this truck. It even makes the lights on the dash flash.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Maybe he used it to rehearse his getaways

Slowly but surely

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Funny you mention pics, I realized when finished the bulk of work and had the "new to me" box on and cap back on that I never took any good "before" pics to show the diff. Lesson learned I guess. I could never have a youtube channel because I am always way too pressed for time when I get a chance to work on any of my bikes, trucks, trailers etc. But I had a look in phone and found a few I snapped along the way. Nothing exciting, just caught a couple stages of the "restore". There is a pic of the old box that left 30 lbs of rust prob on my driveway when I ripped it off. ha ha. Couple pics of frame before and during cleaning it up and putting the POR 15 on. Some interior "after" pics, you would have to have seen it inside before to appreciate the diff, it was baaaad. The tire carrier tray in frame pics was unsavable and I will weld up replacement carrier one day when time allows and mount it. And it WON'T be a bowl to catch water and mud.
Oh and a couple pics from last nite at my daughters stable at sunset where the sky just popped and made for some nic pics. Snapped a few shots of her with her latest horse and a couple of the post reno Ranger as the sky reflected on it. Prob the only time having a black vehicle was a good thing with a reflection vs how they get dirty from just looking at them. lol So here ya go.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals