• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 1992 Ford Ranger speedometer cable spinning too slow

Captaingreatvalue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hello everyone so I appreciate any advice yall can give just wanted to let yall know some info I have a 1992 ford ranger that has a 4 cyl 2.3l manual trans and since i acquired it in 2020 the speedometer has never worked accurately i recently replaced the vss as alot of youtubers and forums say that is a common issue i can tell you the gear was black and the speedo cable was replaced by the previous owner i saw it looked new after changing the vss the issue still remains and after thinking it was the speedometer it self that was bad i took it on test drive to watch the speedometer spin and i saw the cable was not spinning fast enough plus i took a drill and tested the speedometer and it worked like it should i purchased on evil bay the speedo gear with the most teeth which is 23 seeing the black one was a 20 hoping that is the fix or at least close enough but i have a feeling its the drive gear inside the transmission let me know what yall think

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If the speedo is reading slow you need less teeth on the speedo gear not more. How far off is it? Every tooth on the speedo gear is worth about 5-7%.

On my '97 I played with tire sizes and eventually when I landed on a size I fixed the speedo, it was reading about 7% slow and I dropped a tooth and now it's right at 2% off... I think I went from a black to a red if I remember right...

Captaingreatvalue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
If the speedo is reading slow you need less teeth on the speedo gear not more. How far off is it? Every tooth on the speedo gear is worth about 5-7%.

On my '97 I played with tire sizes and eventually when I landed on a size I fixed the speedo, it was reading about 7% slow and I dropped a tooth and now it's right at 2% off... I think I went from a black to a red if I remember right...
Thank you so much it’s so confusing not really direct info anywhere I will cancel my order and order the lowest one possible

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Thank you so much it’s so confusing not really direct info anywhere I will cancel my order and order the lowest one possible
It could possibly be an issue with the gear inside the trans that drives the speedo gear as well.

Captaingreatvalue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thank you I purchased a smaller gear yesterday 16 teeth will see what happens

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Not that 16 teeth won't necessarily end up being right, but why don't you just do the math instead of firing the parts cannon?

How fast are you actually going, vs. what does the speedometer say? The amount it's off is what percentage of the total? You want to change the size of the gear by that same percentage.

Captaingreatvalue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
My ranger is stock from the gears and the speed situation is odd 0mph to 15 it’s not off by much it’s when you hit 2nd gear that the speed stays around 10-15 and than you hit third gear and speed is around 35-30 it’s not really moving any faster than that when I was on the highway doing 60 according to gps on my phone it was marking 35 so that’s the considerable difference but I believe you are right the less teeth will make the whole difference if not eff it I’m buying a 50.00 gps speedometer from Amazon and removing the old Speedo from factory it’s too easy and too cheap not to do that and have way less issues we will see what happens tire size was changed that’s the only difference 215/75/r14

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Thank you I purchased a smaller gear yesterday 16 teeth will see what happens
You may have striiped teeth on the drive gear inside the transmission. When you're installing the new gear that you're buying, get a good flashlight and look at the drive gear through the hole. Look fot its teeth being worn in the centers where they contact the driven gear.

Captaingreatvalue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Will do when I receive the part I will install and get a look in there you could be right maybe it is worn down if it is gps speedo sounding good lol I’m sure trans shop will want over 1000 to replace that gear

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
GPS?

I used to look at how big the ripples were in my cup of coffee sitting on the floor. If it slopping out of the cup, I was speeding.

Good Luck!

Captaingreatvalue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hahahahha that’s a pretty good way to do it as well but after I figure out the issue will see if it’s worth fixing thanks yall for the support love this forum

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
That kinda sounds like a problem with the speedometer, I guess the nut on the back of the main shaft could have worked loose and the drive gear could spin but that would be odd...

Captaingreatvalue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
It’s not though I drive with out the speedometer looking at the cable and it was turning slowly tested the speedometer with drill and it works perfectly

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I can see a worn or stripped drive gear turning the driven gear, and cable, to some degree, but not at full speed as the teeth start to mesh, and then slip.

Captaingreatvalue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
A lot of people are saying is the drive gear also so let’s see what happens part comes in a couple of days maybe ordered a rare 16tooth Speedo gear while changing it I will take a look at the drive gear with flashlight…. If it’s the drive gear calling it done ski and dropping in a gps speedo literally 50 on amazon

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals