• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tahuya Run 12/20/08 (Post Pics Here!)

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
I got a decent one of LoanRanger's dad BASHING through a mudhole/ root wall!! He's gonna like seeing that. The one time the delay on my camera worked out for me, when I first got the pic with the tire in the air, it wasn't in the air, but by the time it saved it, it was. :icon_confused:

Dang Derek, you didn't do much AT ALL to bust that birfield...
Yo,
Yeah, I think that birfield had some wear or fatiuge already. It was a pretty loud "snap!", that was awsome!
Yeah, it was a used birf that I replaced the last broken one with, so it may have had some fatigue already. The funny thing, when we pulled the parts out of my dads ranger today, I noticed I totally exploded the bell, but the inner and outer cages are still intact and on the shaft. :shok: I guess I used my last passenger shaft, and only have two drivers side shafts left, so I have to pull one of the birfields off and put it on a short shaft. I have been trying all day, and even broke a 10 ton bottle jack in the process. I heard a bang, and fluid started pouring out around the bottom. :shok:

The whole thing though with the birf breaking yesterday had to do with the snow. Because if you notice in the video, I got up to the top of the hill, and I was going to climb the 2 foot ledge there by the tree, all four tires were spinning, then I ran the right front into the bank that didn't have any snow on it, so it grabbed. And pop!

The white and red 1st gen, was tys87ranger.

And the silver gen 1 with the cap, was 87rangerboy (and his dad).
Good to know, thanks for putting rigs with names.

yodaman1151

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
it pretty sweet you got the "snap" on film. so how much snow you guys got now? we are approaching the 12" mark in oregon city

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
I was looking through the pictures, and it is obvious why the birf popped.
The red line is the line I was trying to take with the passenger front tire.

I haven't been working on it because of christmas shopping after work, but this is what I made up sunday, and promptly broke the jack. :headbang:

KaTooM

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Great pictures and video. Living in SoCal we don't get to wheel in the snow and ice much.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I don't get it... What is that in the picture? Are you trying to bend that plate, or what?

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
I don't get it... What is that in the picture? Are you trying to bend that plate, or what?
:icon_twisted::icon_rofl:

No, the plate has holes in it, the side closest to you is the axleshaft, the birfield is under the plate. I welded a pipe to the axleshaft, then the crosspipe above the jack, then shackled it back to the plate, and was trying to pull the shaft through the plate, leaving the birfield underneath..... or pull the birfield through too, like a golfball through a garden hose, or a elephant through a keyhole..... :icon_twisted: Think cherry picker. A pivot at one end, the jack in the middle, then the item being "lifted" at the other end. I think it would have been more likely to work with two jacks, one on either side, so it would pull evenly, I just started welding scrap together to make this and didn't want to put more time into it than neccessary.

I was able to find a couple passenger shafts from a guy over near poulsbo though, so I'm going to pic those up in the morning. One for the replacement, and one to carry with me this time.

Last edited:

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Anybody up for another snow run? :D

The zook is back together, and I got spares now. :icon_rofl:

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hmmm.

I'm thinking about it, but I wouldn't be going to far in the snow... Last time I went to Evans Creek, I was able to get stuck on the road (by the day parking) 4 or 5 times...
Granted I hadn't air down my tires, but the tires still sucked. I need new ones. They didn't even do to well at Tahuya... They just don't grab hold in the snow, you have to get them down to the dirt, then they work.

Would you be going to Evans Creek? If so, and you are willing to putt around on the roads/ the 102 to the parking lot, I may go. I'll need to talk to my cousin though. I'm not sure your Zuk and/ or you 8K winch could pull me out.

If you don't respond in a little while, I'll just call ya.

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
The biggest problem is the open diffs imho. I've wheeled with a few people at Evans in the snow with open diffs and it was a workout. Doesn't mean it wasn't fun, but I definately slept good the night after.

I'll probably do an Evans snow run sometime in january or february, the snow packs a little better once it's been up there a while. What do you think about an Elbe snow run? Maybe next sunday(I'm busy saturday), or the weekend after that on saturday(probably the best option for me), Plenty of easier trails up there to wheel in the snow. Elbe is alot easier in the snow than Evans in the snow.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The biggest problem is the open diffs imho. I've wheeled with a few people at Evans in the snow with open diffs and it was a workout. Doesn't mean it wasn't fun, but I definately slept good the night after.

I'll probably do an Evans snow run sometime in january or february, the snow packs a little better once it's been up there a while. What do you think about an Elbe snow run? Maybe next sunday(I'm busy saturday), or the weekend after that on saturday(probably the best option for me), Plenty of easier trails up there to wheel in the snow. Elbe is alot easier in the snow than Evans in the snow.

*Replyed in the regionals*

np205

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I need to come down there and you guys need to come over here to Sadie Creek. If it's wet, body damage is probably gonna happen for the rangers, xtra cabs almost certain. If you have rock rails you might do ok but your bed will get dinged still. Right now I need a door, some xtra cab body work, and gonna build a tube bed and dovetail it. Also gonna make some rock rails and cage the cab.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals