• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Swap Kit Opinions?

CraKel

February 2010 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.OH
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, so I've bee looking into alot of different ways to accumulate the right parts this winter for the 302 swap and rather than peice it together one by one I think I found a pretty decent kit online that isnt too pricey.. I know everyone has bad luck with these kits but let me know your opinion before I purchase anything, it seems like its got a good selection of parts and comes with a rad too. thx, Ck.

heres the link:

http://carshop.carshopinc.com/product_info.php/products_id/4490/38200

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
You don't really need it.

If you get an engine from a Mustang, or similar, you'll have the oil pan and motor mounts already.
So you'll need headers and the oil filter relocation.

You can really save money that way.
Depending on your engine, your stock rad should be fine. My truck runs very very cold with the stock rad.

CraKel

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.OH
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 302 and c4 out of a 79' T-Bird, pretty sure it came with motor mounts, didnt really check the oil pan to see if it was rear or dual sump.. but most likely its front i think.

Anything else I need to know bout the swap in a 2wd 93-97 ranger? Any other problems you encountered?

I've been looking into ignitions, etc gonna go witha MSD setup..
What about fuel pumps? use the one in-tank from the ranger with a regulator?

CraKel

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.OH
Transmission
Automatic
tranny adapters was another big question I had.. was looking on JD at the ones they sell but are pricey$$ I would like to keep the OD and switch the c4 to a 4speed if possible, is the adapter all i need then the driveshaft will hook up without fabrication?

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
id be weary of that kit if they dont know that 1998 wanst I beam equipped, especially since they note "will only fit trucks with i beam suspension".

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Waste of money..........IMO.

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
if you do go to piecing parts together, which i think you'd be better off doing, i'd go with the canton oil filter adapter. It's a real nice piece, the cool thing about this relocator is that it swivels, allowing you to locate and run your lines wherever you chose. It is an expensive piece though compared to other adapters. i got mine off of summit for i believe around 50bucks

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Swap kits = snake oil. And that 79 T-Bird 302 has a front sump pan. Check the casting numbers, there's a good chance it's got the heavier D8VE block. Good fodder for building a 352 stroker.

Teddyzee

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
tranny adapters was another big question I had.. was looking on JD at the ones they sell but are pricey$$ I would like to keep the OD and switch the c4 to a 4speed if possible, is the adapter all i need then the driveshaft will hook up without fabrication?
No trans adapter of any kind is needed with your 2wd. You can bolt an AOD or C4 directly to the new motor. Most all Ford driveshaft yokes are the same, so your stock yoke will work fine. I used my stock driveshaft, your results may vary :icon_cheers:

CraKel

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.OH
Transmission
Automatic
ok great.. but that still only gives me 3 gears right with the c4 (yes I know its a 3speed tranny). Is there any way to incorporate the 4speed for better gas milage etc.. and can the shift linkage be hooked up to the ranger column shifter? or do I need a floor shifter? thx for the help everyone!!

Teddyzee

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sure, just find yourself an AOD. Then you'll have an auto with 4 gears, including overdrive.

I'm sure there's a way to run a column shift, but I'm not the guy to ask.

As far as parts in the kit you mentioned, you be able to get an oil pan for less than $50, I think I paid about $69 for the oil filter relocation kit. The parts add up, but not as much as that kit.

CraKel

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.OH
Transmission
Automatic
Ah ya now I understand.. I totally thought the adapter was for a different purpose.. Ya so Ill be sticking with what I got and hopefully wont need to do any driveshaft mods as ours are the same years/style etc.. any word on what I should do for the fuel pump?

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if your running a carb, just use the in tank one and run a fuel pressure regulator, or run a mechanical one off the block.

running fuel injection, just leave it how it is.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The mech fuel pump suggestion should go away and die. The only way to run one is to eliminate the power steering and use old V belt accessories. Mr Gasket 12S pump is all that's needed to run a carb. The intank pump has to be rewired to bypass the computer.

wade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
"Swap kits" aren't thought of very highly 'round here! Would rather watch the Red Green Show than buy a swap kit.
That oil pan only has provision for the low oil level sensor -- no dip stick. Dip stick would have to go through the block -- or, modify the pan like I did. Most of the parts can be ordered individually, from someone like JEGs or Summit, for more reasonable prices. Some parts (dual sump oil pan) can be obtained (downright cheap) from a junkyard. Pick-N-Pull is good for all kinds of odds 'n ends. I got my radiator off of eBay - my engine mounts from AutoZone - oil relocation stuff from Summit. (I don't care for the cheap screwclamped hoses on most relocation "kits"! Paid a fair price for -AN style hoses.) Headers? Do your homework! Many options, as well as opinions. Some will/won't clear suspension, steering, and transmission applications as well as others. This is a subject that you can get an ear full of opinions! DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Search and Read! What someone else has done may, or may not, work for you.
Just because something is advertised as "Swap", don't take it at face value, until you've checked into it. With many "Swap kits", you'll be disappointed to find that you paid for parts that you can't use --to your satisfaction, or AT ALL. And, you'll end up stuck with 'em, or tryin' to get rid of 'em on eBay!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals