• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Strengthen/Repair headliner?

jballard81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Morning!
I'm putting new headliner in but the cardboard (??) backer is rough on a few spots.

I was thinking I could add some thin veneer type wood or something similar to fix the bad spots. What have y'all done in this situation?

1000005173.jpg

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I hate to be a naysayer, but I think that one is toast. That boards starts doing that and I think it's just going to keep getting worse.

IMO, I'd source another. Looks like you've got an extended cab so one any from 1993-2011 extended cab should work. If it's regular cab you'd need 93-97 due to can length change, or possibly shorten a 98+ one.

jballard81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I hate to be a naysayer, but I think that one is toast. That boards starts doing that and I think it's just going to keep getting worse.

IMO, I'd source another. Looks like you've got an extended cab so one any from 1993-2011 extended cab should work. If it's regular cab you'd need 93-97 due to can length change, or possibly shorten a 98+ one.
Ugh. Everything I've seen in the boneyards are as bad or worse. I haven't looked at aftermarket options though.

Thanks for the info!

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Maybe you can get lucky.

I've seen people make new ones out of similar material from Lowes or Home Depot. That was on older trucks where it was mostly flat board, not formed like these newer trucks.

I wouldn't try to make the whole board out of that, but maybe you can use the same stuff to make patches for yours.

LMC carries some headliners for these trucks if you want to go new aftermarket.

jballard81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe you can get lucky.

I've seen people make new ones out of similar material from Lowes or Home Depot. That was on older trucks where it was mostly flat board, not formed like these newer trucks.

I wouldn't try to make the whole board out of that, but maybe you can use the same stuff to make patches for yours.

LMC carries some headliners for these trucks if you want to go new aftermarket.
I will keep an eye out for a replacement!
I think for now I will look for some kind of glue to fix up the frayed edges and find something from Lowe's for the flatter rough spots.

Appreciate it!

jballard81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I made do with what I had on hand bc of timing. Hack job is putting it mildly :icon_rofl:
1000005175.jpg

1000005177.jpg

I glued cardboard to the worst spots and then slapped the new fabric on. In my infinite wisdom I started with the back so that my mistakes would be more hidden...
1000005180.jpg

1000005182.jpg

Couple of janky folds, but could be worse. The headliner spray I got is unforgiving. Once the surfaces meet, they are mates for life.

Was able to lay the front down a bit slower and only have one real fold
1000005183.jpg

1000005181.jpg

No pics of it installed, but it's in and for the $40 it cost, I'm calling it a 90% improvement.
Luckily I broke more plastic trim to ensure I'm never truly done working on the truck 🤣

The headliner fabric added a good amount of strength once it was installed. Hopefully it will give me a few good years. Will try to remember to get some installed pics tomorrow

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
You will find the interior profession is not as precise as say a engine or transmission rebuild. What the guy did above I have done. If you have the broken piece of board there, duct tape works well to put it back together also. Just to hold it long enough so you can glue the new fabric in place. The new headliner will then hold it, along with the visor brackets, the outside plastic trim, etc.

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
If you are having a problem with the headliner contact cement bonding too quickly you can use long strips of wax paper in between the form and material. Then slowly expose the area you are gluing. It gives you more time to get a smoother outcome.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Another trick is to do one half at a time. Align the headliner on the cardboard, and then carefully fold the headliner over on itself half-way without moving it too much on the cardboard.

Paint the exposed back of the headliner with glue, and the exposed cardboard with glue. Let it dry and then carefully start at the fold and bring the folded backside down onto the cardboard with the glue on it.

Once you work it and press it all the way out to the edges, take the other half that is unglued and fold it over onto the glued side, apply the glue to the cardboard and the exposed folded headliner, and then do the same, working from the middle to the edge.

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I had the auto upholstery shop do the headliner in my 2002 Ranger when redoing the seats - HA!

jballard81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Here it is installed. Is it perfect? nowhere near it :LOL: , but it is a huge improvement over how it originally looked. Thanks to all for the input and help on this project!
PXL_20240410_132720472.jpg

PXL_20240410_132711197.jpg

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
that looks great in the picture

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals