• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Something I've noticed about people's opinions on the new Ford Ranger

TrackRider54

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I gotta admit, I think backup cameras are pretty nice and they don't cost much...but all the other nannies should be optional.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I gotta admit, I think backup cameras are pretty nice and they don't cost much...but all the other nannies should be optional.
Figure a GoPro is about $400, waterproof to 80' IIRC and films in 4k... the cruddy camera on the back of a vehicle can't add that much cost and we HAVE to have touchscreen radios now so the screen is already there in most vehicles.

The radar/sonar crap and cameras don't do much for me, most of the time my dd is covered in gravel dust so I can hardly wait for the chorus of alarms because the sensors are covered in dirt and can't see anything.

I DESPISE how deep the beds have to be now. You have to have the camera now because you have no rearward visibility. Better opt for the optional steps too so if you put anything in the back of the truck you can actually get it back out. :temper:

Last edited:

Dar70

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I would rather have a full sized Regular cab than this new Ranger. Th regular cab full sized have plenty of leg room and some storage behind the seats. I rarely need to drive anyone else around so interior seating is not an issue for me. I currently have an 08 extended cab ranger. For a small pickup you kinda have to get extended cab. But unfortunately this new Ranger isnt aesthically pleasing to me. Kinda uninspired Imo. I can get a ln F-250 regular cab 4x4 with an 8 ft bed for about In the low 30's. It can be sported up later if need be. The only drawback of course is gas mileage. But it's a great looking truck and looks better than the 150 and durable. Probably the last good looking regular cab pickup one can find. The Dodge and Chevy look awful in their regular cab configuration. For some reason both of those have an extreme slope of the cab roof line as opposed to their extended cab counterparts.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
I would rather have a full sized Regular cab than this new Ranger. Th regular cab full sized have plenty of leg room and some storage behind the seats. I rarely need to drive anyone else around so interior seating is not an issue for me. I currently have an 08 extended cab ranger. For a small pickup you kinda have to get extended cab. But unfortunately this new Ranger isnt aesthically pleasing to me. Kinda uninspired Imo. I can get a ln F-250 regular cab 4x4 with an 8 ft bed for about In the low 30's. It can be sported up later if need be. The only drawback of course is gas mileage. But it's a great looking truck and looks better than the 150 and durable. Probably the last good looking regular cab pickup one can find. The Dodge and Chevy look awful in their regular cab configuration. For some reason both of those have an extreme slope of the cab roof line as opposed to their extended cab counterparts.
People who really need a superduty or any truck for that matter aren't concerned about fuel mileage, because they really need it to do work or tow or haul or dump or plow or whatever. Do you really need a truck ? Why not just keep the Ranger you have ?

TrackRider54

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I really need a truck. But not to do work. I need it to haul a 500lb motorcycle in the bed, or some camping gear. I need it to carry a canoe. I need it to move a piece of furniture or an appliance from time to time.

99% of the time, the bed will be empty and covered. I will commute in it every day. I will take people to lunch, and load it with music equipment when I have a gig (that can't go in the bed).

Just because it's a truck doesn't mean it has to be for work, towing massive loads, or able to withstand severe punishment. Honestly, an El Camino would do what I want if it had four doors and room for 4 adults.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
People who really need a superduty or any truck for that matter aren't concerned about fuel mileage, because they really need it to do work or tow or haul or dump or plow or whatever. Do you really need a truck ? Why not just keep the Ranger you have ?
SD does have a lot of bang per buck benefits.

Solid front axle
Manual hub activation available.
Gas V8 in a hole intended for a massive diesel
Basically the same price as an F-150
Gets the same mpg as an F-150 of yesteryear (mid to high teens)

People who really use a truck are concerned about fuel economy too. An overy thirsty gas pig cuts into profits.

Dar70

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My Ranger was involved in an accident 6 months ago. It's never been the same. Also Some body damage that is too expensive to repair.(more than what it's worth now) It's now 10 years old and unfortunately even with my best efforts the doors began to rust right around the 7 and a half year mark. Yeah the super duty may be Overkill.(though I just mentioned the bad gas mileage in case anyone brought it up) I do use my Ranger for more than just getting from point A to B. I load my mountain and road bikes into it, other sports equipment and do light work with it.
I also drive in harsh winter weather and a Truck just takes the abuse better. They last longer and (at least in my experience) need less maintenance. If I were to ever get another Ranger it would not be the 2019. I would just get a low mileage used one.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I used to haul my mountain bike in the back of my Plymouth Laser...

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Just because it's a truck doesn't mean it has to be for work, towing massive loads, or able to withstand severe punishment. Honestly, an El Camino would do what I want if it had four doors and room for 4 adults.
It's a shame that Subaru never offered an STI version of the Baja with improved styling. That could be a really interesting vehicle with tons of potential.

Dar70

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I used to haul my mountain bike in the back of my Plymouth Laser...

That works great with cheap big box stores bikes. Did it myself when I was in college. Won't work so great with $2000+ bikes.

Dar70

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You are all wrong. All this electronic dumb-ass driver babysitting is leading us to self-driving cars and trucks.
This right here. The nanny devices on vehicles are not to help people to use their phones in their cars....it's all going to eventually lead to complete self driving cars. There are industries that want it. Industries that have a vested interest in recreating our infrastructure. Road rebuilt, lands opened up etc. So deal with the back up camera, blind spot sensors etc. Hope that cars become safer and safer for manual drivers. Because if they don't millennials and people with their hands in the cookie jar will be trying to push the self driving cars more and more. I am always delighted when a self driving car crashes. Lol. Yeah that sounds awful but it slows testing on them. So let's all just hope the Nanny devices make our vehicles safe enough that we don't ever need self driving crap...because I will not pay for a vehicle that is basically a bus. I would rather just ride my bike around town.

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Self driving crap, I like the term may I steal it?

Wife drives a 2017 CRV and I scream at it at least once when it starts beeping wildly when someone passes behind me and I am in reverse. Really? Is there that many people that don't look behind them when they back up that they need a warning feature?

When you drift out of your lane it shakes the steering wheel and displays a coffee cup on the dash monitor.

What is equally as disturbing is that what was obviously a robot that started this thread just to instigate a subject about something they are probably paid to advertise is getting so many replies. I would have banned them at my place and deleted the topic.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Self driving crap, I like the term may I steal it?

. Really? Is there that many people that don't look behind them when they back up that they need a warning feature?
Unfortunately, yes. Too many people don't take driving seriously. Many others seem to think they are better than you and you should give them the right of way in every situation. I believe they are thinking " why are you intruding on MY planet?"

I don't want anything to do with autonomous cars and trucks. I think we need to get automobile enthusiasts from all over to unite to fight this trend. I don't know how to lead such a venture. But our only chance is to show that there are large numbers of people against it.

The Coalition Against Self-driving Cars And Stupidity.
CASCAS

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

UCFKnightDiver

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
lol, not a robot or being paid by Ford, I'm simply an individual who is considering the Ford Ranger for my next vehicle when it comes out next year. Some of y'all seem really stuck in your ways. Unfortunately, for good or for bad, self-driving cars are probably in our future. The current technologies are kinda just an incremental step in that direction, at least that's the way I see it.

Last edited:

Dar70

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
lol, not a robot or being paid by Ford, I'm simply an individual who is considering the Ford Ranger for my next vehicle when it comes out next year. Some of y'all seem really stuck in your ways. Unfortunately, for good or for bad, self-driving cars are probably in our future. The current technologies are kinda just an incremental step in that direction, at least that's the way I see it.

Its not about being set in our ways. We just know that life is getting more and more boring as time goes by. Technology while great is taking more of our freedom away. Millennials are more acceptable to it. They have grown up in a different environment than even just 10 years ago. Sad that many don't even want a license. The world is a dangerous place. Just the way it is. No amount of pampering is gonna make it go away. There are certain parties that will profit from these cars...in a VERY big way. They are not in the least interested in saving lives.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals