• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Snap-on rocks.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
Many years ago, I think late 80s, I was working for a dodge dealer turning wrenches. That's when I first invested in some quality tools from the local Snap-on dude. They have been of excellent quality and have served me well over the years of abuse I put them through. I have broken several of my sockets by my own abusive needs and have saved them hoping to one day get them replaced. So here 35 or so years later, I emailed Snap-on customer service yestetday, and with two email exchanged I have new tools in the mail. I don't usually have anything nice to say about purchased products as most are marginal at best especially in today's world of cheap China garbage. I'm gonna give Snap-on two thumbs up. 👍 👍. I don't even have to return the broken ones. Pictures were enough.

Bonus being two of the sockets are 10mm. One standard and one deep well. All 6 point.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
We use Snap On at work and they have been pretty good overall. For people who make their living with their tools, a premium brand is worth the money, with a few exceptions.

Williams Tools are made by the same company or are made by Snap On. Not as expensive and the built quality is similar. If one is looking to equip their personal garage and plans on doing a lot of work in there or is starting out in the trades, Williams is worth a look.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I have several broken tools also.... snap on... mac... sk... and even a couple New Britten tools from my original tool set. I use to be tool poor and bought from all of them. Totally tool addicted.

I really need to try to get some of these warranted.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I got a socket and extension warranted by sk about a year ago. They didn’t even ask for pictures I just emailed them that number on the side and they mailed me new ones.

Tekton is moving most their production to the us from China and Taiwan. Have had great luck with their warranty as well.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
I wonder if Craftsman still warranties their stuff. About 10 years ago I broke an old flex head ratchet that I probably had for 20 years. I just took it to sears and they immediately gave me a new one. Wonder if Ace or other places do?

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
lowes bought the “craftsman “ name from sears, Im not even sure sears exists anymore. I dont know if lowes gives a lifetime warranty on craftsman products, they sure dont look like the set I got back in 1988.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Craftsman is made by Stanley/Black and Decker. Their new tools and warranty suck bad.

I have a fair size assortment of Snap-on… I love their pliers. Also have quite a bit of Matco, Mac, Cornwell, SK… Snap-on is my fav out of the lot. For the price and availability though I somewhat prefer Gearwrench and Carlyle from NAPA.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Yeah the Craftsman I see these days at Lowe's doesn’t look so hot. A few years back Ace hardware was selling decent looking stuff as Sears was dying. Not sure if they still do or if Lowe's is the sole retailer now. I have some ancient stuff that I still use.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah the Craftsman I see these days at Lowe's doesn’t look so hot. A few years back Ace hardware was selling decent looking stuff as Sears was dying. Not sure if they still do or if Lowe's is the sole retailer now. I have some ancient stuff that I still use.
The Ace stores around me still sell Craftsman, don't know how it compares to the Lowe's offerings. For my purposes, I tend to buy my hand tools from the HF these days. I have Craftsman stuff, but what they sell now doesn't seem any better. Special tools like torque wrenches I'll buy a better brand, not picky, but mine are Craftsman. Battery powered is Ryobi from HD.

I'm not knocking Snap-On, Matco, or any of the other professional tool brands, I've used plenty of them at work over the last two decades. I don't use my personal tools professionally, so I'm not dropping professional money on them. I know I could buy used snap-on stuff at a discount and still get the warranty. I even drive past the snap-on guy's house every day, the F-100 broke on the road out front and the tire bounced across his yard into the woods. I don't, and don't want want to, spend enough time at pawnshops, flea markets, and yard sales to take that route.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
The Ace stores around me still sell Craftsman, don't know how it compares to the Lowe's offerings. For my purposes, I tend to buy my hand tools from the HF these days. I have Craftsman stuff, but what they sell now doesn't seem any better. Special tools like torque wrenches I'll buy a better brand, not picky, but mine are Craftsman. Battery powered is Ryobi from HD.

I'm not knocking Snap-On, Matco, or any of the other professional tool brands, I've used plenty of them at work over the last two decades. I don't use my personal tools professionally, so I'm not dropping professional money on them. I know I could buy used snap-on stuff at a discount and still get the warranty. I even drive past the snap-on guy's house every day, the F-100 broke on the road out front and the tire bounced across his yard into the woods. I don't, and don't want want to, spend enough time at pawnshops, flea markets, and yard sales to take that route.
I also have a hard time paying new snap on money but he usually has trade ins on the truck at better than 50 percent off, as far as ratchets go, there is no comparison in my opinion. Yeah there are higher tooth count ratchets out there but it seems to take far less movement to engage the next tooth and put torque into the fastener than other options. They have recently started rolling out a new 100 tooth ratchet so I'd imagine the used market will start to be flooded with a bunch of the 80 tooth units soon, haha.

The Chinese Craftsman ratchets that are just copies of the last usa made series make mediocre hammers at best, in my opinion, I can't seem to not destroy them easily, even in the shortest handle lengths. I can't speak to the quality of the new design stuff though. I've been impressed with the quality of the icon stuff from harbor freight, it seems quite nice for the price point.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Lowe's and Ace WILL replace a broken craftsman tool. The kicker is they have to have it in stock hanging there. If they do, it's pretty painless. If they don't, you have to deal with them somehow through the mail like the other brands.

I had a old craftsman screwdriver that was broken. Brought it into Lowe's. Found one just like it, but it was newer with a newer part number. Someone higher up the chain looked at them, approved the swap, and I was out the door.

Last edited:

dchangstrom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
As franklin2 said, Lowes will exchange as long as it's on the shelf... had a long 1/2" drive ratchet I bought 30-40yrs ago strip gears many years ago... Finally got fed up with it and took it in and the customer service gal said if you can find one on the shelf we can exchange if not we aren't able to. lucky for me they had one

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Lowes and Ace here will only exchange Craftsman if it has the exact part number. Anything else, you have to call in and have it mailed. I have a bunch of Craftsman wrenches & sockets - that's about it though - I don't care for most of their other tools and the ratchets especially are crap. I have a collection of just about every style C-man ratchet going back to the 40's and there is only one style that I like.

I also have a hard time paying new snap on money but he usually has trade ins on the truck at better than 50 percent off, as far as ratchets go, there is no comparison in my opinion. Yeah there are higher tooth count ratchets out there but it seems to take far less movement to engage the next tooth and put torque into the fastener than other options. They have recently started rolling out a new 100 tooth ratchet so I'd imagine the used market will start to be flooded with a bunch of the 80 tooth units soon, haha.
Both of my Snap-on ratchets are really low tooth count ones from the early 90's and honestly I don't really like them. Proto & SK made way better ratchets back then... jeez even Husky/Sparta/New Britain/Blackhawk are better IMO.

Mac ratchets from that era were terrible too, I had one from what I'm guessing was the mid 90's and it was an exact duplicate of a cheapo Stanley that I also had... I know they are the same company but c'mon, someone probably paid $100+ for that piece of crap.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
still using a Snap on 3/8 swivel head ratchet I acquired in 1975. it definitely helps to clean & lube the mechanism of any ratchet.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Yeah totally agreed. Any used ratchet I acquire gets disassembled and cleaned prior to use... I have fixed a lot of "broken" ones that were just rusted up or full of dried grease.

Lube choice will make a difference, usually I use Lucas hub oil (really thick, sticky crap) on low tooth count ratchets. High tooth count get 3-in-1 or air tool oil. Craftsman pear heads are the exception, black wheel bearing grease works good in those.

Those old Proto pear heads are smoooooooth with hub oil.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals