• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Schooling... Wyotech or something similar

rngrnewbie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well, long story short, i got out of the military and am going to use my GI Bill to pay for my schooling. Now what i want to do is become a mechanic, but im looking into my future as well, and the school i wanted to go to WYOTECH only seems to give you a diploma and not a degree. Is it so bad getting a diploma rather than a degree. I myself think a degree will get you further in life but i would like to hear your opinions on that. the schooling is free so thats not the problem here, i just want to know if a degree is better than a diploma. I hear good things about wyotech but i want whats going to be better for my future.

super91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Im going to penn college of technology in williamsport. its affiliated with penn state. seems pretty good. you should check it out

racinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i went to UTI, its the hands down best most recognized auto tech school in the country. Ford has the FACT program there. there are 12 MSAT programs there including porsche/audi/bmw/mercedes and volvo. I graduated with a degree in automotive technology. it was a 22 month program i think the core program without fact is 18months. cost about 32g's when i went there, but if you stay in the top 25 your loans will be paid for by your employers as mine were.

gatlin04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
it is all the same.... I am getting a degree in Construction management.... But i will get a Diploma from it.... Its all the same brotha...

Hibs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Well, long story short, i got out of the military and am going to use my GI Bill to pay for my schooling. Now what i want to do is become a mechanic, but im looking into my future as well, and the school i wanted to go to WYOTECH only seems to give you a diploma and not a degree. Is it so bad getting a diploma rather than a degree. I myself think a degree will get you further in life but i would like to hear your opinions on that. the schooling is free so thats not the problem here, i just want to know if a degree is better than a diploma. I hear good things about wyotech but i want whats going to be better for my future.
I was a mechanic for 5years before i joined the Army, i can tell you that having a "certificate" or a degree really doesn't mean jack. My last job i worked at, was a diesel shop. Of the 8 employees, one kid was hired directly from wyotech, three other guys had associate degrees in diesel technology from the local community college, and the other 4 had no college (me included). I was the second highest paid guy in the shop, the highest paid was the shop foreman who was like 55 years old and had been wrenching for 30 years. The kid from wyotech said that it was a descent school, but definitely not worth the money. I think he said it was like $30k for a 18month program? that is ridiculous. If you feel the need to go to school and get the knowledge, go to a local community college. The one back home in nebraska was southeast community college, i think i had heard it was top rated and only UTI was ranked higher. You can get your degree at a community college for half of what UTI or wyotech costs, and be better off knowledge wise.

240cubes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'00 '96 '89 '88
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 5.7 2.9
Transmission
Manual
what do you want to specialize in? if you arent opposed to relocating i'd reccomend Springfield Tech in Springfield MA.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
You can get an associates at Wyotech. If you want to be a mechanic though, a degree really isn't going to do much for you.

JeffWS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Definitely attend a school where you can receive factory training. Don't settle for the basic training.
I am a high school automotive technology instructor for 30 years, and with todays economy, you need to stand out. You will with factory training.
UTI or a community college that is affiliated with a manufacture is the way to go.

Good luck,

Jeff

liner80

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger super ca
Transmission
Automatic
This is finally a threat I can offer some insight into. I went to UTI it is a good school the one thing I did not like is the is no campus housing so you live on the community they put you up in an apartment, but there is still rent utilities and you have to share a 2 bedroom with 4 guys you don't know,and many rules ( you think the military was bad you have not seen nothin yet) I am in the mil so I know about the GI Bill also first you need to talk to you VA and find out what they will cover. i.e. cert. or degree. I am not sure it will pay for a tech school. (the post 9/11 bill may be different). Also talk to you states VA the may have a vets scholership. Then if I was you I would go to a 4 year school get my BA you can always build on it later if you decide you want to do something different later in life. Also live in the dorms that way you don't have to worry about rent and making enough money you can consintrate on school. Plus you will get the college experance. This is just my 2 cents you can contact me if you have any question about UTI or the VA and GI Bill.

Yes I know I miss spelled some things it is late and I am tired.

rngrnewbie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
One good thing about the Post 9/11 gi bill is that they pay for your housing now they give you E-5 with dependents BAH. As for tech schools i believe they pay but i will be sure to check that out. I am waiting till august for that gi Bill to kick in which is why im searching now. I am not 100% sure what i want to go into with the economy the way it is i just dont know what to do.

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 2 cents worth is this - if you want to work at a trade be cautious of working at something you love, like trucks, cars, etc. I worked on race cars part time from age 13 to 30 and then took a job with a factory team. About four years of that and I got out of automobiles except for service on my own. Nothing like "having" to work on something to take the fun out of it.

It seemed to me that the people that enjoyed asphalt and sprint car racing, off-road racing and just really nice cars were people who made their money somewhere else. Dentists had a lot of money but didn't have to go to school as long as a doctor. Guys who ran construction companies did well, HVAC guys, plumbers, underwater welders . . .

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals