• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

saturn continues to try and overheat

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Flushed the radiator. Gave it a complete tune up. 50/50 antifreeze/water, added royal purple max cool. Changed the etcs (engine temperature contol sensor), changed the thermostat. The old one had half of the rubber ring missing. Assumed that was the problem. Still continues to do the same thing. Hills and heat are worse. Has a fan that kicks in at 3/4 guage. And turns off at 1/4. The fan cools it off super quick but takes all the power from the car.

all the parts are from schucks oreillys. Maybe I should get a Napa thermostat?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What year and engine?

You can pass water through a rad while it's in a vehicle, but that won't really "flush" it, the passages are too small, you really need to pull it out and run water through it backwards, back flush it, pushing out any debris the way it came in, but that is also just a stop gap if tubes are starting to plug up, you can lie it flat and fill it with a warm CLR mixture, then back flush it, repeat a few times.

With rad out put it on it's side, so tubes are running up and down.
Put hand over lower hose outlet and fill rad using upper hose outlet
Put on rad cap if needed.
With rad full stop filling and remove hand from lower outlet
Water should drain out instantly, listen for any gurgling sounds from upper hose outlet, air being sucked thru partially blocked tubes.
now the test...

All water should out of the rad now, flip rad upside down, if ANY water comes out it could ONLY come from BLOCKED TUBES, a little water or a lot, doesn't matter, any blocked tubes means rad needs to be replaced.

Other rad tests.
With engine at operating temp, t-stat open and rad cap on, feel upper and lower rad hoses, lower should only be a little cooler, not a lot cooler.
Squeeze the upper hose and lower hose, lower should only have slightly less pressure, if it is much easier to squeeze lower hose then rad has blocked tubes.

Coolant is sucked from lower hose by the water pump and pushed to upper hose, so if rad starts to get clogged up the coolant in the lower rad can't be replaced as fast and lower pressure is the result, so easy to squeeze lower hose.

Shut engine off and move fan out of the way so you can run your hand across the rad surface, feel for cool spots, those are where there are blocks in the coolant flow.
A good Rad should have nice even heat across all surfaces.

On some cooling systems the heater core is used as the bypass for the water pump, this means if the heater core starts to clog up it will cause the engine to overheat, it will cycle up to hot then back to normal, almost randomly, not usually related to engine load.
You can by-pass heater core to test this.

Turn on heater while driving and see if heater temp matches gauge, as engine temp goes up does heater temp go up as well?
If not the water pump may not be working as well as it should, worn or slipping impeller blade.
If heater gets cooler then air is in the system, could be from a leak in the system or the beginning of a head gasket issue.

A t-stat controls the lower operating temp of an engine, and unless it is stuck closed it would not be the cause of overheating.
I would drain the new coolant for reuse, and run water until problem is solved, you can just remove the t-stat at that time if in doubt, engine will take longer to get to normal operating temp, but that's all, that is what the t-stat is for, getting engine warmed up faster.

Running water for a few days or even weeks(in the summer) won't hurt anything, and no it doesn't have to be distilled water, if you can drink the water and it doesn't taste "funny" then it will be fine to use in any engine.

When you replace a t-stat you should usually replace the rad cap, that's just a general "rule of thumb", both are cheap :)

These are just general cooling system checks.

Last edited:

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Saturn 1.9l 4 cylinder, sohc.I'll check those. Thanks for the awesome response. Once again learned alot from you :). My heater works like a champ, idk if it matches the temp guagr cuz the guahe is hardly ever above a 1/4. I'm worried with the constant heating and cooling I'll end up with a head gasket problem.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The Saturn 1.9l's cooling fans shouldn't come on until gauge gets up to 3/4, so that is correct, the fans should also come on when the A/C is on(or Defrost which uses the A/C), regardless of temp.

The 1.9l saturn engines were not known for blowing head gaskets, as they have aluminum blocks and heads, so didn't suffer from the bi-metal issues of different expansion rates of different metals, i.e. aluminum heads bolted to cast iron blocks, which can blow a head gasket if overheated only once.

That being said it is never good to overheat engines.

1/4 on the gauge seems low but could be normal, new t-stat might bring that up to just below 1/2, which would seem better if fans don't come on until 3/4.
Running an engine cooler than normal is bad as well, not as bad as overheating but it does decrease MPG and lubrication.

1.9l has surface mounted water pump, 3 bolts to remove pulley and 6 bolts to swap out or check the water pump, so not too much wrenching.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ya I replaced the water pump on my old Saturn wasn't too bad. Ron hoe do you know so much about like everything on every car?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, but don't know everything or even close to everything :) , the above is general knowledge not specific to a saturn

My Grandfather, who got me started on wrenching, said "never regret a mistake, you will learn more from one mistake than you will from twenty successes".

And it was/is true, any knowledge I might have now came from me making lots of mistakes, or reading about other's mistakes, lol.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Haha that's true. I did a head gasket wrong once (choke cable got pinched under the back side) it only lasted like a thousand miles. I learned alot from that

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals