• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SAS Coil Suggestions?!

Mud-Nut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Alright guys..... We're just finishing the rear 4-link on my brothers Ranger, and we're starting to plan the front. Here's the build thread if interested:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50178

Anyways, we have most of the front suspension figured out, except for which coil springs to run. So mainly, I'm hoping you guys can post some details about the coils you've used on your SAS:

-What kind of coil
-Spring rate of coils (if possible)
-How well do they articulate?
-Pics of Ranger articulating would be a bonus

By the way, the reason we need the spring rate of the coils is because I'm going to find a similar Jeep coil to run. We run Jeep coils out back, and we want to build the front to accept the same style of coil (so coils can be swapped back and forth throughout the truck). Thanks guys!!!!

Last edited:

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
This question has been covered many times before, and will more than likely be answered by searching the forums, or in this stickied thread: Common SAS Questions

Mud-Nut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This question has been covered many times before, and will more than likely be answered by searching the forums, or in this stickied thread: Common SAS Questions
I did numerous searches and couldn't find the information I'm looking for. And I already read that thread you linked to.... All it told me was the 3.5" lift EB coils will give a Ranger 6" of lift. That information is useless to me, since we'll build our own coil buckets and whatnot. I don't care about "lift", I'm trying to get an idea of a good spring rate to go with.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Most EB coils are in the 300-350 inlb range, so I'd start there with a used pair of coils and see what our rig needs, softer/stiffer etc.

Mud-Nut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Most EB coils are in the 300-350 inlb range, so I'd start there with a used pair of coils and see what our rig needs, softer/stiffer etc.
Cool, thanks!!! That's very helpful. At least we have a starting point.

Now, how does an EB coil usually flex on a full width SAS Ranger?

We're building a 100% trail truck, it'll never see the street. So the softer the better (kinda).

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
It'll depend on where you mount them. If you leave them inboard close to the ranger frame you can get away with a slightly stiffer coil as the axle will have more leverage on the coil. If your gonna mount the coils out farther, obviously you an get away with a slightly softer coil. If it's a dedicated trail truck, you may want to look into jeep coils as I've heard they're more commonly in the 200-300 inlb range.

Mud-Nut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, the coils will be mounted near the stock position on the frame, and I already realized that the full width axle will have more leverage on them. We're building custom adjustable coil buckets though, just as we did for the rear. This way, we can mess around with different spring heights and whatnot. And yes, we were already planning on using Jeep coils because we used Jeep coils for the rear suspension. We wanted to make the coils interchangeable throughout the entire truck.

How does the front suspension of your truck flex with those Skyjacker coils (hard to see in your avatar)??? And would you happen to know the spring rate of those springs?

Mud-Nut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
By the way, I accidentally put the wrong link in my first post, but it's fixed now. Haha!

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
The coils in my rig work great, however I have a large amount of radius arm stud bushing bind, so it doesn't like to droop much. A set of degree'd stud bushings would help, but a set of long arms similiar to Bray D's are in the works.

I was told they're right in the 325 inlb range, but they've lost some height due to break in and seem to have gotten softer so i'm guessing they're around 300inlbs now.

Mud-Nut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Cool, keep us updated on the new arms. And thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

Yeah, we're building our own radius arms for the front. Extending them and using heim joints.

fordguy64

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Ofburgess

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 +
Transmission
Manual
I have a 94 ranger with a full width d44 in the front. kept breaking radius arms so i linked it with 1.50 dom and chromemoly heims ( pretty tricky with an axle that has the radius arm setup) i just built custom link brackets that mount on the radius arm wedges on the axle. i pushed the coil buckets out 2 in. off the frame so that there would be no bow in my coils. but in doing that i have to have coils with a lower spring rate than 300 lbs. or else when im trying to flex the coil just lifts the truck instead of allowing the axle to articulate and the tire to stuff inside the wheel well. custom springs are the only way to go in my situation. a lot of people doing solid axle swaps on this site do beautiful jobs on their rangers but i havent seen to many coil setups that actually allow max flex. with a spring rate of 200 lbs or less the ranger uses her modest weight to compress the coil rather than the coil just pushing the truck up and down when driving over oibstacles. just my 2 cents. good luck

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is a super old thread

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
And mud nut you need to update your profile, you no longer have a 351 remember! And why haven't I seen hardly any updates on your f150 from fsb.com,, disappointing!lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals