• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rolled truck. Options?

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
swap the cab looks like your front end is good 2 front fenders and a box and you would be good to go.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you still have the 85, I'd swap the drive line from the 94 into the 85. The 94 looks beat up, and it might be hard to get that re-insured.

Most places won't allow you to transfer the old VIN to a new cab, it falls under changing the VIN which isn't allowed in a lot of places.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As long as the title isn't "junked" insurance shouldn't be a big deal.

Get a cab off a truck with a current title and just use that identity for your truck.

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
:>(

I am considering replacing the cab, doors, fenders, hood, bed, and probably radiator support. I have a few reasons for considering this:
1) This was my dad’s truck. I know the history and that is was well maintained and reliable.
2) Money, it’s tight.
3) The truck still drives fine.
4) It has a tow package.
5) The power train is still in good shape (see reason 1).
6) I am capable of doing this myself.

Another option is to find a Ranger with a nice body needing an engine and/or transmission.
It is a 94 Ranger, 4.0, auto, regular cab, 6.5’ bed.
Now for my questions:
How do I confirm the frame is straight? (The fact that it drives the same as before indicates it may be)
What year(s) are my options for donor trucks?
Is there a cab/bed combo that will allow for an extended cab on this frame?
If I swap cabs, can my existing VIN be transferred to the donor cab?
Does anyone have a cheap donor truck close to the Tulsa, Ok area?
=========================================
I've got what ya need, but I'm 11+ hrs away accordin to Mapquest.

If you swap cabs, be sure to get a bill of sale or title from the donor truck, take both titles to your DMV, and an officer will come verify what has been done, and then they will issue you a NEW VIN that is attached to the vehicle and titled to it. Basically the same senerio as a "salvage" titled vehicle.

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Glad your okay! Get one like Mtnrgr said and swap your motor. If you had insurance you should have uninsured motorist so your insurance should cover you a replacement. I would not try to swap that body out. I don't know how good you are at body work? It could be done but, wow!

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Glad to hear your good and the other driver is caught. Honestly I would not even try to rebuild that...1. it is considered totalled and it's hard to get insurance...2. That's alot of body panels to swap over, but you knew that...3. I belive it would be more price wise to rebuild that then to find a better truck.

You could by a 93-94 Ranger with a 2.3, 5spd for really cheap. Get that and swap in your 4.0 and get a good junkyard 5spd and you can have a better truck then what you have now. You can use your current one for the parts truck. Then sell yours to a junkyard and make some money back.

That's what I would do.
actually, since an insurance company never said it was totaled, it's not, the title won't be branded, and as long as you fix it to factory spec, you never even have to mention it.

now, if you're gonna fix it, i don't know if you know of any cabs near you, but down here in tyler (which is a bit of a drive i'll admit) there's a yard with quite a few decent regular cab ranger cabs.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I agree with Mtnrgr as well. get a truck with a junk motor and swap all the goodies over. your truck looks like it was very well cared for and the interior looks good, so look for one with the same color interior and have at it. Body work is time consuming and tedious and if you are not skilled or trained in it, your truck will become a nightmare project. It will be much easier and less time consuming to swap out the motor and transmission than to pound out the dents or swap the cab..

AJ

Tulsa Time

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Was 3.0, IS 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Lots of great input. I really appreciate it.

mtnrgr, I had seen that listing and was considering that. It looks promising.

Can anyone tell me if the 4.0 will bolt in place of the 3.0? Since my power train is still good, I do have all the components necessary for this.

As far as bodywork goes, I can do bondo but this way past that point. The B pillar has been rhombussed. That is why I am considering swapping cabs. I can swap body parts.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Can anyone tell me if the 4.0 will bolt in place of the 3.0? Since my power train is still good, I do have all the components necessary for this.
The 4.0 has a different bellhousing pattern than a 3.0. You will need to swap transmissions.

Tulsa Time

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Was 3.0, IS 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Another reason I would like to repair my existing truck is I have limited funds. Registering another vehicle in Oklahoma would cost $150 to $200. That is a significant percentage of my funding.

As long as an insurance company doesn’t “total” my truck, it shouldn’t have a salvage title associated with it.

Can the VIN be transferred to another cab or is it permanently attached to the cab? Just to clarify, I do not want to do anything that would be considered fraudulent or even crooked.

Tulsa Time

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Was 3.0, IS 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
The 4.0 has a different bellhousing pattern than a 3.0. You will need to swap transmissions.
What about the motor mounts?

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
bang the dents out, replace the windas, and get a new side mirror, and you basically done =), just a lot of hammering. It should pass inspection if you cut the top and weld on a new one. Try a junk yard for a ranger and ask for the top. Try a matching year truck, or 2 year bumper (2 years previous, 2 years after).

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
Just my 02>>>

Another reason I would like to repair my existing truck is I have limited funds. Registering another vehicle in Oklahoma would cost $150 to $200. That is a significant percentage of my funding.
As long as an insurance company doesn’t “total” my truck, it shouldn’t have a salvage title associated with it.
Can the VIN be transferred to another cab or is it permanently attached to the cab? Just to clarify, I do not want to do anything that would be considered fraudulent or even crooked.
========================================
Your gonna spend more that the $700 wanted for that truck on repairin yours to be driveable. Used cab at the boneyard will cost ya $400, fenders $100 each, $100 for a hood, $200 for NEW windshield, $150 each for doors, just to mention a few.

Check carpart.com for the parts you need and you'll see what I'm talkin bout.
CarPart

As far as that Supercab for $700, you can swap your complete drivetrain into it, only part you may have to modify is the driveshaft.

Last edited:

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The NAGS number for a Ranger windshield is DW1205BBN, or if it's an older one, it might be a DW 1150.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals