• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rolled truck. Options?

Tulsa Time

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Was 3.0, IS 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
First let me apologize if any of this is incoherent. I am on pain medication at the moment.

Last weekend I was out of town visiting family. I was rear ended causing my Ranger to roll. (Other than a partially dislocated shoulder and a week, so far, of back and neck pain, I seem to be ok.) The hitter ran. The police caught him (thanks to a helpful witness) but it turns out he did not have a driver’s license or insurance. So now I am on my own to get my truck repaired/replaced.

I was able to jack the roof up (I should say my little brother did, I was hurting. Thank you Colin) enough to put a make shift windshield in, made of Plexiglas, just to get the truck home. It was quite nerve racking to drive I-40 with nothing but a piece of plastic between me and any potential debris but the truck drove fine. It is now parked in the garage. I am done driving it till I get it fixed or sold.

I am considering replacing the cab, doors, fenders, hood, bed, and probably radiator support. I have a few reasons for considering this:
1) This was my dad’s truck. I know the history and that is was well maintained and reliable.
2) Money, it’s tight.
3) The truck still drives fine.
4) It has a tow package.
5) The power train is still in good shape (see reason 1).
6) I am capable of doing this myself.

Another option is to find a Ranger with a nice body needing an engine and/or transmission.

It is a 94 Ranger, 4.0, auto, regular cab, 6.5’ bed.

Now for my questions:

How do I confirm the frame is straight? (The fact that it drives the same as before indicates it may be)
What year(s) are my options for donor trucks?
Is there a cab/bed combo that will allow for an extended cab on this frame?
If I swap cabs, can my existing VIN be transferred to the donor cab?
Does anyone have a cheap donor truck close to the Tulsa, Ok area?

I realize that I am not what you would consider an active member and I hope you don’t hold that against me. I have used TRS as my primary resource for Ranger info since I bought my first one about 2 years ago. This site is the best resource of info I have found for any make/model vehicle that I have researched.

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I realize that I am not what you would consider an active member and I hope you don’t hold that against me. I have used TRS as my primary resource for Ranger info since I bought my first one about 2 years ago. This site is the best resource of info I have found for any make/model vehicle that I have researched.
First of all, glad to hear you're okay. Rangers are tough little trucks & I guess this one saved you life. Better a busted shoulder & some back pain than a ride in the back of a hearse. Glad to hear the nabbed the bum who hit you.

Second, we don't hold it against you that you're not an "active" member. You're just a new friend who needs some help. We're happy to be a resource for all things (and a few that aren't) Ranger-related. We'll do what we can to help.

Now on to the main question. The good news is that any cab or body panel from 93-98 (commonly refered to as the 3rd gen trucks) will fit.
Some parts from 98 & newer trucks should fit, but I'm not sure off the top of my head which ones.

An easy way to confirm the fram is striaght is to two measurements from a point on one side of he frame (say the RF shock mount to the LR shock mount), and do the same for the opposing parts. If the measurements are equal, then the frame is striaght. & you're good to go.

Good luck with your recover & your truck's rehab.

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I don't think anyone will hold it against you that you don't post alot. No problems with that. Sorry to hear about all of that. That guy sounds like a dick...he gets off free while you have to fix everything on your own coin? That is lame. I'm not super knowledgeable but if I were in your situation I would transplant the powertrain into a good ranger. Your truck could be fine or in a couple years a bunch of issues could come up and it could turn into a big money pit. Just my two cents

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
glad to hear ya okay dude!

Maybe install a cage and 5-point harness in the next one or this one if you get it fixed.
I also recommend designing a "Spring-Bumper", it dampens vehicle impacts better than crunch zones. (basically the front and back bumper are connected to heavy duty springs and mounted to the back end with a join so it can move when hit, and absorb impact.

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
if you need a new box any box from ranger 1993-2010 will work. and possibly rear bumpers of same years. but guaranteed 1993-1997 will fit everything

Tulsa Time

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Was 3.0, IS 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the input guys. That's one reason I come to this site. Everyone seems so willing to help rather than judge.

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
I would talk to the local insurance people and maybe license people about the transfer of the VIN number.

You are going to need a new cab definitely. a friend of mine had something similar happen to him this winter. the damage to his truck was Minor compared to yours. his was a dented roof and a cracked windshield.

the insurance company refused to re-insure it due to the fact the tiny structural crossmember in the roof was bent. Even though 5 minutes with a arc wielder would put a new one in.

They Did shell out for another truck and he bought the old one back from the insurance company for 300 bucks for parts. so its all good on his part.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
can you post pics for better idea of damage?

Tulsa Time

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Was 3.0, IS 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Will the 4.0 bolt in place of a 2.3 or 3.0?

Which motors share the same bell housing bolt pattern with the 4.0?

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
looks like the cab can be repaired, but a lot of banging work.

Remove the interior cieling and start pounding out the dent on the roof with a malet or sledge hammer. or you can get a larger vise clamp, put a 1' x 1' piece of wood on cieling and the roof, and tighten the vise clamp till its flat, but do this carefully, it works, but takes some patients. you'll need some exterior parts though.

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Tulsa, you're lucky you were driving a Ranger. Anything else (like a Taco or Colarado) would've been crushed like an alminum can!

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
yup, Ford have been rated for roll overs being safe for years. It was not intential to begin with, but they built off it =).

Gotta love havin those really old unibodies! XD they will safe your life, but only good once.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Will the 4.0 bolt in place of a 2.3 or 3.0?

Which motors share the same bell housing bolt pattern with the 4.0?
Nothing shares a bell housing pattern with a 4.0, except for the old 2.8s and 2.9s, neither of which have been built since 1990.

Tulsa Time

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Was 3.0, IS 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I have always been a Chevy fan. Then I bought a 1985 Ranger a couple of years ago because it was cheap. I was really impressed with how well that old truck drove (we won't talk about the fuel system). Dad got this truck in the late 90's. He just replaced it and passed it to me.
I have to admit, I am impressed with the toughness of these Rangers and I like the twin I beam suspension. I never thought I could be converted but if I don't fix this one, I will probably buy another Ranger.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals