• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

rod knock ? help please

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
sounds good. maybe you should undercoat the frame while your at it, since it'll be clean...

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
sounds good. maybe you should undercoat the frame while your at it, since it'll be clean...
if it hadn't been in new york for the past 4 years , it was in virginia before that , i would , but it is already starting to rust , and if i do not sand blast it first and i just undercoat it , it will rot out faster , f**kin new york and their go**amn road salt , once i get the time , i will sandblast and undercoat it

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
por15 is a chemical that converts rust to primer. you paint it on right over the rust...cuts down on surface prep tremendously.

IIRC - If I Recall Correctly

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
por15 is a chemical that converts rust to primer. you paint it on right over the rust...cuts down on surface prep tremendously.

IIRC - If I Recall Correctly

ic , ic , i will have to check that out , all i know is that my new sploder only has one bad spot , and that is the cubbyhole where the rear washer bottle , otherwise , the whole truck was undercoated , so it is mainly clean , and that helped with my discovery today

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
what discovery?

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
this little discovery , still there after 17 years of new york weather , thank god all the owners have been mechanics , the first one had it completly undercoated

idk what that second thing is

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
haha, ive never had a vehicle with the original sticker intact...cool deal:icon_cheers:

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
haha, ive never had a vehicle with the original sticker intact...cool deal:icon_cheers:

yea , one of the requirements i had to do for class was remove seats and carpet , we were just pulling the carpet out and i noticed it right when my buddy was about to step on it , i was like back up and just hand me the carpet , it seriously took me like 5 to 10 minutes to carefull peel it off the floor pan without destroying it

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
commencing the pics

my chainfall

our f-150 7700

our 1995 F-Super Duty bucket truck and the trailer

our 1939 Ferguson

my 82 Olds Cutlass Calais

me getting to the last trans bolt

back out of the barn

engine bay

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Before You rule the pump as the cause of the lack of pressure check the camshaft bearings. It is rare but I have seen in the past that you can lose oil pressure due to a lot of different things. But The bearings in the engine are the most common things. And if you are pulling the engine... Take Wicked's advise... Trust me... Trust him.

OK, help me learn here... cause and effect... are there 2 different scenarios that can/do happen? i.e.:

1) Oil pump goes bad, and inadequate oil flow to bearings causes bearing scorch/seizure/failure; and

2) Bearing(s) become worn/UNDERsized for some other reason, and the oil-feed holes to bearings become "wide open", and lack of back-pressure causes low oil pressure to the rest of the engine?

Thanks in advance, (gonna re-read those threads on how/where to mount REAL mechanical oil P gauge...)

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
OK, help me learn here... cause and effect... are there 2 different scenarios that can/do happen? i.e.:

1) Oil pump goes bad, and inadequate oil flow to bearings causes bearing scorch/seizure/failure; and

2) Bearing(s) become worn/UNDERsized for some other reason, and the oil-feed holes to bearings become "wide open", and lack of back-pressure causes low oil pressure to the rest of the engine?

Thanks in advance, (gonna re-read those threads on how/where to mount REAL mechanical oil P gauge...)

Basically yes. Bear in mind the oil pump is the first thing to get oil, so they rarely wear out IMO.....it's more likely their drive system fails (like a sheared pin on the dizzy).

IMO, 9 times out of ten, worn bearings in the engine are the cause of low oil pressure.

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones

your first situation was hte most common one , when the pump goes bad it no long feeds enough oil to the bearing , which causes them to "spin" , basically they wind up seizing and one spins over onto the other

the second one is less common , it is common in extremely high mileage engines , that have had no work done to them.

my case was number 1 , my oil pump went for some reason and i no longer had adequate oil to the bearings

my engine had 156k on it when this happaned , situation 2 usually happens above 300k miles , the only other time the camshaft is involved is if the gear connecting the cam to the pump breaks , as the pump is mechanically driven , and i believe it is by the camshaft

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
your first situation was hte most common one ,

You must live in the bermuda triangle of engines. I've NEVER seen a bad pump....and only one or two jammed ones (crap gets into the pump and locks it up).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals