• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Removing Rivets by Drilling and Air Hammer

Daringo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey everyone, just thought I'd share my experience popping out my first rivets.

It went a lot smoother than I had planned and wanted to share how I went about it... WEAR EYE PROTECTION!

First, I went to Harbor Freight and picked up a new variable speed drill ($13) and air hammer kit w/5 chisels ($9). I had the drills needed - which ended up being a 3/8 inch but I am sure 7/16 would make it a tad easier - but I didn't feel like getting a new expensive drill bit.

Here's a picture of the Carrier Bearing support I am removing the rivets from..

First, center punch your rivets and then drill small pilot holes. I went all the way thru, but you may prefer to stop just past your frame.

Next, I drilled out the pilot holes with the 3/8 bit. It plowed right through, but I did stop about 1/8 inch short of drilling all the way. Watch out, the metal chips are hot!

Next, I used a flat chisel and my air hammer and the rivet heads just popped right off. I put the punch tip on and popped the other end of the rivets out of the hole.

Finally, I put some bolts in to hold the center support in while I wait for my 1-piece driveshaft to arrive this week. I did it this way just in case the 1-piece doesn't work out - I can go back to the two piece.

I hope this helps someone who has never tried popping out rivets. No too bad really.

Last edited:

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I use a low grit flap wheel and a 4.5 " grinder and then a hammer with a punch and drived the rest of the rivet out

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals