• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Remote filter kit problem

mudnsnow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
I've bought my remote filter kit last spring from ford motorsport. This week this crap begin to leak. The oil bypass adapter have cracked. Anybody know where i could find a better one the replace it. I need ones shipped to Canada in a resonnable delay(i've waited 2 month last spring for the kit :()

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Trans-dapt makes the Ford piece. I've had two now and zero problem with either. You probably tightened the fittings too tight. These things are just potmetal castings. Summit Racing carries them separately from the kits.

wade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I used the Perma-Cool Brand and ordered each part separately (no kit):
Part# PRM-1791, Remote Oil Filter Mount ~$22.00, and
Part# PRM-2791, Spin-On Adapter ~20.00.
I ordered them from Summit, but they are readily available from JEGs and others. I used hydraulic hoses to connect it up.

The instructions for the Spin-On Adapter say to oil the O-ring just like you would the O-ring on the filter.
"Install the adapter in place of the filter. Tighten by hand 1/4 to 1/2 turn past O-ring contact with sealing surface, about 20 ft lbs. (28Nm)."
Think about what you are doing with this piece of "pot-metal"!

You have between 90° and 180° past O-ring contact, to line up one set of 1/2" NPT ports for your hose connections. In other words, the manufacturer is recommending a 90° Range for a proper tightening specification. (Seems reasonable to me that the closer you get to 1/2 turn (180°) past O-ring contact, the less likely you'd risk the O-ring leaking or blowing out.) Somewhere within that 90° Range, you should be able to get a set of ports to be acceptably positioned to install hoses that avoid the exhaust and any schaffing hazards, without over-tightening (and distorting or cracking) the adapter!

With many people, "The problem we have here, is a failure to communicate!" We've screwed stuff together for so long, that we can screw any thing! We don't need no stinking instructions! Let alone - read them! -- Comprehend them!

Hopefully, we're not just a bunch of back-yard mechanics.
"Don't tell me how to put on a' oil filter! :pissedoff:I know how to put on a' oil filter!"
C-R-A-C-K !!! :shok: :temper:

Last edited:

mudnsnow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
the thing have cracked near a NPT port. The thing have begin to leak 4 month after the installation near a plug on the NPT port. I've taking the adapter to my welder today, tommorow i will put some liquid tread sealer on the plug and reinstall the adapter. Hope it will stop leaking. At jeg's i've found the adapter at 20$, but when you add the shipping, handling, tax, brokerage, etc. it's like 65$.........

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have the trans-dapt block adaptor and its good. Mine seems to leak because i have rubber hose and clamps..always leaks out the fitting where the hose clamps on. Id recommend some custom made lines AN.

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals