• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear main seal...sleeve

vbrad511

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm in the midst of putting the clutch in my 97, 4.0. I bought a rear main from Felpro that came with a sleeve. There was not a mark on the crank. Is it ok to just install this seal and forgo the sleeve? It did try to put it on, just for the sake of doing so, but it sure didn't want to go, so...

Marty'70

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Speedy sleeves are usually a real pita to install. A bearing press or installer of some sort makes it alot easier. Not really sure if you could put the seal in without the sleeve. The seals are mostly made oversized to accommodate the thickness of the sleeve. That being said, is your seal supposed to be stock size? Or is it one designed for a crank with a groove in it where you need the sleeve?

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

vbrad511

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Speedy sleeves are usually a real pita to install. A bearing press or installer of some sort makes it alot easier. Not really sure if you could put the seal in without the sleeve. The seals are mostly made oversized to accommodate the thickness of the sleeve. That being said, is your seal supposed to be stock size? Or is it one designed for a crank with a groove in it where you need the sleeve?

I honestly don't know the sizing. The sleeve came with the seal. I watched a youtube video yesterday where a guy made a driver out of a pvc coupling. I did that, and cleaned the surface up, but even with the driver it just wouldn't start on the crank. I have installed the new seal now, seemed to in ok with the driver, but if it's designed for a larger surface, as-in the sleeve, I didn't want to finish putting it back together just to find out the seal was wrong and it's leaking.

Marty'70

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have installed the new seal now, seemed to in ok with the driver, but if it's designed for a larger surface, as-in the sleeve, I didn't want to finish putting it back together just to find out the seal was wrong and it's leaking.

I agree. Best I can say is verify with either the parts store or manufacturer as to weather the sleeve is required or not.

vbrad511

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Update...I just talked to a buddy who worked for a bearing and seal dealer. He's comfortable that I'll be just fine without the sleeve. I'm going to put it back together the rest of the way tomorrow and see how it does.
Thanks

Marty'70

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
[emoji106][emoji106]

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals