• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger Rebuild

1mean02hd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Manual
I'm a little more active over on the other forum, but I'll post up some pics...
It used to be like this:

And kinda ended up like this

Not too pimpin, to say the least. I'm in the process of a rebuild/ upgrade, part of which will include a fabricated, removable core support. It's a lot easier to work on stuff without it in the way as well as facilitating engine removal and installation.

1mean02hd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Manual
You can definitely see how much easier it is to work on without the core support in the way. The engine and transmission can come out in one shot if need be. No more installing the bare engine sideways and spinning it to clear.

I removed the top crossbar from the old core support by drilling out the spot welds and then straightened it out with a hammer and dolly. There's nuts factory welded to it on the ends and tangs on the inner fenders that locate it. It would be nice to remove it completely but I don't have a garage with a tubing bender and awesome fabrication skills nor do I have a lot of free time. So I work with what I've got. Also, the cross bar helps to locate the hood with the grille and the fenders.

Here I've got the inner fender "caps" made up and just screwed into the structure.

You get the general idea of what I'm trying to accomplish. I chose to upgrade with an all aluminum radiator this time and got the biggest one that would fit in the stock location. I used hockey pucks for the body mounts for the new core support.

1mean02hd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Manual
Well I got some more pics and made some progress

I ditched the original idea of having a removable crossbar on the core support. I re-made the inner fender caps/ core support

No more cross bar

Mounting brackets welded to the new radiator. The radiator will be the part that really ties the 2 halves together

Adios, motor. It served well and was blast to drive, but it needs to go to make room for bigger and better things. It'll be cleaned up, and installed into a 93 LX to see another day.

Core support all finished up and the radiator installed.

1mean02hd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Manual
Been making some progress and I have a few more pics.

This is the new heart of the beast. 302, 9.5:1 compression Speed Pro forged pistons, Trick Flow Track Heat heads, Trick Flow Stage III cam, Trick Flow 1.6 roller rockers, Melling oil pump, CFR Performance oil pan and pickup, Romac SFI-18.1 balancer, Weiand Xcelerator intake (port matched), Trick Flow main girdle, ARP fasteners. You can also see my motor mount adapter plates in this pic.

Installed in the engine bay with the headers, carb, and the Canton oil filter relocator

Old transmission mount and crossmember and the new transmission mount and crossmember. The old crossmember was trashed from hitting on speed bumps. The old trans mount was ripped completely in half. The new trans mount is a GM Energy Suspension polyurethane piece I picked up locally at Advance Auto.

New trans crossmember and mount

I'm hoping to have this thing fired up this week. Still got alot to do but the major stuff is done.

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
Nice work! Keep your progress report up to date and more pics!

You might consider mounting the radiator with some rubber standoffs or ?? Aluminum radiators do not like vibration.:icon_cheers:

1mean02hd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Manual
I have a flat piece of rubber that serves as a washer that runs the whole length of the angle brackets to isolate it from the core support. It's about 1/4" thick, which i think (and hope) is enough to suffice.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals