• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger 97-2000 cabs

HalfMazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Hey, I own a 2000 ranger that I rolled a few months ago. I'm looking for a cab and found a screaming deal on a 97' in great condition. However, I know that ford changed the truck significantly including widening the wheel bases after 97 and was wondering if the 97 cab is something that I would be able to make fit or if I should keep looking.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They might have lengthened it but I don't think they widened it.

93-12 beds interchange, if they widened the cab that wouldn't work. And they probably would have changed the interior too.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Regular cabs were lengthened starting in 98, so cabs from before 98 won't work. Extended cabs never changed.

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
Well>>>

The 97 back cabs can be made to fit with a little modification to the rear frame section bein moved forward by removin the 16 rivets in the cross member that goes across the fuel tank area. I measured a 98 frame to put a 95 cab on so I would get the independent from suspension, but sold the chassis before I started the project.

BUT, I believe the PCM is in a different location on the 97 back than the 98 ups.

GLWP!!!

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Reader's digest version: Keep looking.

Glutton for punishment version:

The good news - the '97 cab bolts right up to the '00 frame!

If it is supercab, skip next section:
The not so good news - as the '00 cab was 3.5" longer, this leaves a gap between the cab and box. As chvlfrk said, you can separate the rear frame and shorten truck to remove the gap. Note: rear driveshaft also needs to be shortened by the same 3.5".

Alternatively, you could get cute and just put in a spacer, and no one would be wiser.

Resume for all cabs:
The bad news - the '00 has PATS, so without the dash from your rolled cab and then mixing the '97 wiring for lighting/etc with the '00 wiring for engine, the truck won't start/lights won't work. The silver lining is: The '00 dash will bolt right in in place of the '97 dash, so it is just a wiring exercise. However, without EV&T manuals for both '97 and '00, it would be a challenge.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals