• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

radiator flush

ranger dude 185

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have an 04 ranger with old coolant. i want to flush it out and put new coolant in there but im not sure if i should try it at home or take it to have a shop do it. i know tap water is the only thing i could use but im not sure if thats a good way to flush it out with the garden hose. any ideas?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I've done it both ways. The garden hose is effective if done right but takes forever. The only way that the coolant flush you get at the shop is really any better is that its done with the engine hot and the system pressurized so you get more crap out of the system, brake more scaling off the walls, etc.

You aren't getting any better water quality since the shop is gonna mix the coolant up with the same hose water you will. Most shops will try to sell you a BG coolant flush kit. I don't work for BG, but i do recommend getting one either way you go. You get a cleaner that helps to break stuff off the wall, you get a conditioner that helps keep your hoses and gaskets in good shape and helps heat transfer, and you get a sealer that helps keep it from leaking.

I take mine in and use the flusher when I need to change the coolant, but I also get free labor.

Hope this helps you make your decision.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals