• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

radiator and fan question

THE H.P FREAK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L (245c.i)
Transmission
Automatic
One more time for you slow learners
1) Mechanical fan/clutch has much higher cooling capacity than e-fans
Only when your revving the piss out of your engine. Most stay around 2500-3200RPM while driving. My 2400CFM electric fan does that CFM rating ALL THE TIME.

2) Mechanical fan/clutch has much higher reliability than e-fans.
Well in 20 years I've gone through about 4-5 clutch fans. In the last 11 years I've been running electric fans I have not had one problem or failure.

3) E-fans loose efficiency due to mechanical to electric back to mechanical energy conversions
Well that doesn't explain why I pick up MPG, H.P/TQ, and quicker 1/4 mile times with a electric fan.

What most don't understand is once you get up to cruising speed, which around here is 40-50KPH the cooling fan, electric or mechanical is useless. There is way over enough air flow coming through the rad itself from the forward motion of the vehicle cutting through the air. If your vehicle starts to overheat in the 1-2 minutes your sitting at a red light waiting for it to turn green, then your vehicle has other cooling issues. I have not had my electric fan on since late September. That's 4 months I haven't had to waste energy and fuel spinning that stupid clutch fan around. I've got 2 more months before I even have to start thinking about turning it on. I daily drive (hard), TOW, HAUL, and RACE at the DRAGSTRIP. In my applications the electric cooling fan(s) has basically beat the crap out of the clutch/mechanical fans. Sorry if you can't except this but in my case and a ton others here in town and all over the internet it has too.

Last edited:

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Last edited:

THE H.P FREAK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L (245c.i)
Transmission
Automatic
Last edited:

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Last edited:

THE H.P FREAK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L (245c.i)
Transmission
Automatic
Gee, you don't even know which fan you have!!!!! That's 2400CFM, NOT RPM!!!

The 16" is only 1680RPM!!!!!

LIAR!!!!

Give it up!!!!!!
HI!... Bob you need to read before you post. I never said it was RPM. I said my fan has 2400CFM. You even quoted me which really makes you look like a fool! LOL! :thefinger:

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
"2007" RANGER SPORT.
DERALE 16" ELECTRIC FAN,

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

THE H.P FREAK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L (245c.i)
Transmission
Automatic
"2007" RANGER SPORT.
DERALE 16" ELECTRIC FAN,

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

HI!... Your point? The fan blade measures 16.2 inches. That in my book is a 16 inch fan. The fan shroud is 17 inches. Not my fault DERALE measures their fans with U.S math. bwaaaaaaaaa! :thefinger:

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Bottom line, the OP IS NOT GOING WITH AN E-FAN!!!!!

do i need to run an efan for clearance, the answer is no. this should settle everything.

99RangerBoss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
efans

efans also let your motor warm up fast which is usually a big deal in a manitoban winter by not blowing all that cold air back at your motor thats trying to warm up, its also nice because their pretty quiet even the new gmc sierras come with twin electric fans so there must be a reason for this because a mechanical must be cheaper too because its so simple.:yahoo:

Canadians also make better beer i think we all can agree that american beer is nothing but piss and fizz!

THE H.P FREAK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L (245c.i)
Transmission
Automatic
HI!... Ya forgot about the beer thing. lol! I'm in a border city. The yanks come over here and think they can out drink us. It never works out good for them. 10 of their beers are equivalent to like 5 of ours. :icon_rofl:

Electric fans also have the benefit of being able to be run while the engine is not. Great for the dragstrip, that you can cool down in the pits. On my F-150 drag truck, I use both cooling fans, tranny cooler fan and electric water pump while in the pits. This allows me to cool down WAY faster than my opponent with a clutch fan, making me run faster and more consistent, while he gets heat soak. I luv it. :icon_thumby:

99RangerBoss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
lol all the yanks iv ever met at the bars out here can't handle the booze and their still drinking budweiser which is gutless as we all know not to mention they try to act tough and end up writing a cheque their butt can't cash!!!

Tee Rev

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Holy crap!!

Bob, look up the word bigot ..... Now go look in the mirror.

I'm done with you! & I'm actually dumbfounded!! I now believe that someone can be too stupid to realize how stupid they really are!

Good show!:icon_thumby:

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
GM only uses electric fans on the v6 and the smallest of their v8's in the 1500's. As soon as you step up to the bigger v8 they go back to a clutch fan. Just and FYI.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
okay, im pretty sure everybody here knows that im attempting a 3.3 turbo build. i looked at my trk the other day (constantly eyeing things looking for potential hangups and fig ways around them so i can do this as smoothly as possible.) looking at my radiator and remembering how much rust etc is in it (cant use the standard drain its so nasty.) im considering upgrading my radiator. ive been digging around the forum and it seems that a 4.0 dual core radiator is the way to go, jy of course in good condition. it will fit my 3.0 w/ no problem correct? another thing, since ill be plumbing for turbo will i have to remove my standard fan and have to go to an efan for clearance? or should i stick to the mechanical fan and just go w/ a stronger fan design for better cooling efficiency? all input is greatly appreciated.
He did not ask which was better. He asked (after his unanswered radiator question) if he needed an E-fan for clearance and if not, was there a better mechanical version.

I enjoy a discussion, but this has been immature garbage and I hope it's over.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals