• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Princess or Pig?

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Yep, cheap engine on CL = core!!

TenSeven

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It's going to be a sunny weekend, nice time for some garage mechanic knuckle scraping. Out of curiosity I think I'll pop the heads off and take a look.

What kinds things should I be looking for in general? Valve Train, sticky valves? The test results suggest both head gaskets are blown. Is it easy to spot where those leaky spots in the gasket are? What if the heads are cracked, can those cracks be easily seen? Or is the only way to see them is to have them Magnafluxed?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Without a leakdown test check for a ridge on the cylinders and scoring in the cylinder walls. At the very least put new valve guide seals in with new head gaskets. Magnaflux would not hurt for sure maybe lap the valves. I would not put too much effort into the heads if you not going through the lower end.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
You will need a new water pump also that one will leak once you put it together, Before you pull the heads pull the water pump and with high pressure water flush the rust and sludge out of the engine block and backflush the radiator and heater core real good.

TenSeven

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys, appreciate the suggestions.

TenSeven

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Some pics from the tear down. The heads came off very easily. Looks as those there is discoloration/corrosion on the head gaskets between cylinders 1&2 and 3&4. No obvious visible cracks can be seen on the heads but I'll need to have them Magnafluxed to be sure.

Are the markings on the Pistons stock?

http://s1362.photobucket.com/user/EighteensTen7/library/Head Gasket

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Check for a ridge on the cylinder walls and get the heads magnafluxed. Was it getting good oil pressure? Can you still see crosshatching on the cylinder walls? I would just get the valves ground and new guide seals and put it back together. Be sure and put a bead of permatex in the valleys between the heads and block when you put the intake back on. Do not use silicone anywhere on the engine.

TenSeven

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Check for a ridge on the cylinder walls and get the heads magnafluxed. Was it getting good oil pressure? Can you still see crosshatching on the cylinder walls? I would just get the valves ground and new guide seals and put it back together. Be sure and put a bead of permatex in the valleys between the heads and block when you put the intake back on. Do not use silicone anywhere on the engine.
Thanks.

It had 60lbs of oil pressure. I don't see any cross hatching but there may be a slight ridge near the top of the cylinders. For the coolant leaking mess it is now it sure ran well (initially). No smoke, no oil leaks, totally disappointing now.

Do you know if those pistons are factory stock? (judging by those markings)

Also, after the radiator bulged out then blew up, I had it repaired and I remember the mechanic saying he suspected a blown head gasket(s) were allowing gases to excape into the cooling system faster than it could relieve the building pressure and the radiator smelled like burnt head gasket too.

When I mentioned the head bolts backed out easily that was in comparison to the 2.8 engine rebuild videos I had watched where guys were having to really put their weight into getting them to break loose. I wonder if initially a head gasket(s) was just leaking a bit (but when it got hot and violently dieseled for several minutes if that didn't just blow those leaks out completely.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals