• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Positraction Limited Slip

professor229

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Just a quick question.... I don't know if my project 2004 Ranger has positraction (limited slip; whatever) and I am just curious. I read another entry where the guy said he looked on the door jamb I believe for the axle on a listing of some kind... Is there a way to find out if your Ranger has limited slip by decoding something or looking at a listing somewhere? I thought my Chevy W/T had posi.... thought all work trucks had posi.... I was wrong.... but I would like to know if the Ranger has it or not.... Thanks

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
If you have a letter in the axle code along with a number (IE D9) its limited slip.

You can also jack the ass end up and spin one tire by hand and see if they both spin the same direction

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Also there is a tag on the back axle showing the gear ratios. Eg; 3 73 xxxx xxx
If its a limited slip it will have an "L" after the first number.
Eg; 3L 73 xxxx xxx

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
No Ford vehicle ever had positraction, that's GM trade name for limited slip. A posi is what the high horsepower GM guys remove after it grenades a few times so they can install a Ford Traction Lok rear end. Some of my commercial snow plowing customers would refuse to buy limited slip because it can cause the truck to slide sideways if it starts spinning and that can cause damage if it slides into a house or garage when they are plowing.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ford doesn't even offer a limited slip as an option any more. You get an electric locker or you buy something with AWD.

Even if your truck came with one from the factory, it's likely that it's worn out by now.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just a quick question.... I don't know if my project 2004 Ranger has positraction (limited slip; whatever) and I am just curious. I read another entry where the guy said he looked on the door jamb I believe for the axle on a listing of some kind... Is there a way to find out if your Ranger has limited slip by decoding something or looking at a listing somewhere? I thought my Chevy W/T had posi.... thought all work trucks had posi.... I was wrong.... but I would like to know if the Ranger has it or not.... Thanks

Go here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/axle_codes.shtml

That will show you what to look for

Yes, GM called their limited slip posi-traction, Ford called theirs Traction-Loc

Both use Clutch packs in the differential to balance torque on the 2 axles
If one axle starts to spin faster than the other axle then less torque is sent to that axle, giving more torque to the slower spinning axle
So if a wheel starts to spin on a slippery surface the other wheel(thats not spinning) gets more power to move vehicle forward(or backwards)
Traction-loc sends torque/power to the wheel with the best traction

A regular differential is called an OPEN type, it sends all torque(power) to the faster spinning axle, which is why only one wheel spins on a slippery surface, applies to rear wheel drive or front wheel drive

A full Locked differential means both axles HAVE TO turn at the same speed, they are in essence one axle with 2 wheels

Anytime you go around a corner the outer wheel must spin faster than the inner wheel because it is traveling farther
And that's why its called "limited slip", these types of differentials allow "limited" difference in axle speeds, they allow the outside axle/wheel to "slip" a bit so it can spin a bit faster than inner wheel

An OPEN differential doesn't have an issue with turning which is why its used on almost all vehicles

A full Lock differential is great for driving straight, but when you turn one wheel MUST be dragged so its not turning any faster than inner axle/wheel, very hard on the tires, lol
Full lock is usually only used off-road where a tire can be dragged easily on non-paved surfaces

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Go here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/axle_codes.shtml

That will show you what to look for

Yes, GM called their limited slip posi-traction, Ford called theirs Traction-Loc

Both use Clutch packs in the differential to balance torque on the 2 axles
If one axle starts to spin faster than the other axle then less torque is sent to that axle, giving more torque to the slower spinning axle
So if a wheel starts to spin on a slippery surface the other wheel(thats not spinning) gets more power to move vehicle forward(or backwards)
Traction-loc sends torque/power to the wheel with the best traction

A regular differential is called an OPEN type, it sends all torque(power) to the faster spinning axle, which is why only one wheel spins on a slippery surface, applies to rear wheel drive or front wheel drive

A full Locked differential means both axles HAVE TO turn at the same speed, they are in essence one axle with 2 wheels

Anytime you go around a corner the outer wheel must spin faster than the inner wheel because it is traveling farther
And that's why its called "limited slip", these types of differentials allow "limited" difference in axle speeds, they allow the outside axle/wheel to "slip" a bit so it can spin a bit faster than inner wheel

An OPEN differential doesn't have an issue with turning which is why its used on almost all vehicles

A full Lock differential is great for driving straight, but when you turn one wheel MUST be dragged so its not turning any faster than inner axle/wheel, very hard on the tires, lol
Full lock is usually only used off-road where a tire can be dragged easily on non-paved surfaces

I don't know Walt...this guy does seem to be a case where a factors limited slip will work ok...based on info given...

But...calling these good...nah.

Traction locks are for people that don't need actual traction....just some help...
On flat ground...in perfect conditions.

Both of these, gm and Ford are garbage if you need traction to get somewhere reliably.

....I have blown way too many too hell...because cheap alternatives were not easily available at the time.

Blowing spiders through the cover or case after trying to make these failures work for high traction off road use left me hanging more then even transmission failures.

Low tire....will toast it...or in winter spin you out when you least expect it if it's fresh....odd size spare like many run....will smoke a new one in 20 miles.....just another open diff...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
3 "L" 73 means 3.73 ratio with Limited Slip

3 " " 73 means 3.73 ratio but OPEN type

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
This is all assuming the tag is even there anymore :)

professor229

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I spent some time figuring it out and visiting the suggested linked websites to do some decoding and figuring out what I have... and as you might expect, I have a basic plain jane model which is fine.....The tag on the door jamb had the axle number 86 which decodes to

86open 7.5"27503.73

I was kind of hoping for limited slip but this is fine.....

I also tried to decode the VIN number and that was pretty accurate too but there was one letter that did not make sense and wasn't listed or I didn't copy the VIN right..... But the four position letter is Y and that is not listed....

4th Position (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating​
A – Up To 3,000 lbs.B – 3,001-4,000 lbs.

C – 4,001-5,000 lbs.D – 5,001-6,000 lbs.
E – 6,001-7,000 lbs.F – 7,001-8,000 lbs.
G – 8,001-8,500 lbs.H – 8,501-9,000 lbs.
J – 9,001-10,000 lbs. K – 10,001-14,000 lbs.
L – 14,001-16,000 lbs.M – 16,001-19,500 lbs.

I will need to venture out later and double check that fourth letter....

Overall though, I learned a lot.... have a good weekend!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
from a 2005 manual. the link RonD posted has this and much more info.

professor229

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
In other words, the website I was using to decode the information on the sticker was not complete.... I first thought I perhaps copied the information wrong.... that's been known to happen a lot more times lately...... but I double checked and I was right....I should have googled looking for another website to decode that information.... but the picture above says it all.... and thanks for that..... and it wasn't a big deal, but it is nice to know what you have bought.... Have a good one!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals