• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

PlumCrazy's Build

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
You sure it's the same truck? lol

Nothing says "I love you" more than a burrito.
That was 3rd choice.lol First two restaurants were packed.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
As far as D.D Machine, maybe it's because people contact him through Pirate or only try to call him. He never answers his phone. I finally got in touch with him via eBay, to ask if he had parts in stock and how much other parts were. How much was the 1350/4 shaft?

Dude, I love that short throw! What faults have you found in your design? This looks like the better alternative than the Hurst at $230... would you make another?

Nice headers. I've got the smae ones, just not on my truck. lol Had em since last summer. The cams & springs look fun. Wish I could see it in person.

Did you have any hangups with the 16.5 gallon regular cab installment, aside from the float adjustment? I remember someone on here using a stock tank from like a Foxbody mustang or B2 between their frame rails...
The doubler shaft ran me half the price of the kit, $250. He said he would sell me the rest of the kit for another 250 if I end up needing it.

I have no complaints about my virtually free short throw. I still have all me dimensions and drawings, but I dont know when I will find time to build another one.

I had no issues with my 16.5 gal tank swap. i used my stock pump with no mods to it at all and the gauge seems to read correctly. When the check gauge (Low fuel) light comes on I can put around 16 gal in it. When I filled the tank up from bone dry it actually took almost 18 gal. Which seems right since my 20 gal tank would hold almost 22.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Well... it turns out the M5OD-R1HD shaft isnt HD enough for a hard launch.

I snapped the output shaft. The splines actually twisted a bit before it broke though.

I just had to put a new clutch master in two days ago, which btw the perfection clutch replacement it nice. Its all metal with a metal pushrod vs the old plastic design. The new MC came with a reservoir and everything. it bled a lot nicer than the old one too.

On another note. I did get around to testing out the York I picked up while back. Here is a terrible video of my test bench.lol I clamped an old 12V starter/generator from a Cub Cadet to my tailgate. then used a peice of scrap steel with two holes to bolt the York down to the gate. I then used an old belt from my V dub to connect the two. I used some jumper cables to run power to the motor, then some alligator clips to get power to the clutch.

I hooked it up to my OBA tank (not in the vid) and it fills it up from 0 psi in no time which tells me once its all wired up with the pressure control switch I have now it should be able to run small impact.

I plan to mount it all in the Ammo box if I can. I need to get a smalled pulley for the compressor to spin it a little faster. With the setup I have now, it only spins like 1000 rpm which is like 5 CFM. If I can get it colser to 2500 RPM I would be happy.

Last edited:

03ranger30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I think you have more transmission problems than anyone on here

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I think you have more transmission problems than anyone on here
Tell me about. I never had an issue with the M50D in my old 2.3 Ranger, but a mild 4.0 OHV seems to destroy one every time I beat on it a little.lol

I may look into building an adapter bell housing to run a 4 speed with granny low like rulebreaker is running if I grenade another M50D.lol

Or it may be time to park the turd until I get a 4bt and a ZF 5 speed to drop in.

I was planning on making a trip to Bundy Hill on St. Pattys day, but I may not make it.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
what is a 4bt out of ????

Robert

RangerBoy94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
360CDI
Transmission
Automatic
A 4bt is a cummins turbo diesel 4 cylinder. Its pretty much a 12valve with 2 cylinders cut off. They came in delivery trucks and ice cream trucks IIRC.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I just picked up a 99 Ranger ext cab 2wd. Its 3.0 auto, but the trans is junk.(thats why it was dirt cheap)lol. I just so happened to buy a 3.0 4x4 m5od to pull the output shaft from to fix the blue turd. So with my piles of M5od parts I can build a complete 3.0 2wd trans. I plan on buying a new fly wheel and clutch set, and slave. I alreay have pedals and a master somewhere, so I just have pick up a starter, some bolts here and there and a little wiring.

The body is almost perfect, even comes with a color matched fiberglass cap. I was just going to use the 4 door cab and bed on my blue truck since I always wanted a 4 door, but I decided to fix it up for a dd.

Pics will come when I drag the thing home.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
WOOT :yahoo: another build thread.

Robert

posted from my laptop while taking a bubble bath

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Got the new project home. Its pretty clean for a 12 year old truck.

Ill start tearing into it soon. I may try the auto trans for a while, but as soon as it gives me any trouble the 5 speed goes in.lol

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
The valance was ruined during the unloading and pulling it into the garage.lol So I will either replace it with a fog light valance or get a exploder bumper to change it up a little.

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
looks good. how did your ranger do towing?

xkotyx

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that extra space is always nice, especially on wheeling trips, but i dont blame you on wanting to keep it as is for a dd. i would have done the same thing

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
looks good. how did your ranger do towing?
Not bad actually. I could still stop on a dime.

Turns out the tranny is fine, but the motor is locked up. It will turn like 180 before it binds up. Its not a hard stop and it does it with the plugs out, so I am assuming the timing chain let loose and a piston is hitting a bent valve now.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tore the green truck down. Turns out the tranny is probably fine, but the motor was locked up.

The gear stripped off the cam synchro and the oil pump quit pumping. the rod bearing on cyl 4 was welded to the crank.

I picked up 98 Taurus engine to swap in. I plan to put all new gaskets, timing kit, and oil pump on it. The head gaskets are different since the coolant flow through the motor differently in the Taurus since the intakes are reversed and the thermostat is on the trans side on the motor.
I will use all the Ranger exhaust, intake, mounts, and accessory parts on the Taurus motor.

Also picked up a new Ammo can for my new OBA setup.

Had to put ujoints in the blue turd today. Turns out the Brute Force joints have really been cheapened up since I last bought them. They are no more beefy than the standard cheapo joints. I will run em until the pop I guess.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals