• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Please help with aftermarket tachometer install

ZackB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
For the life of me I can't seem to find ignition wire to attach to. The manual says its a tan wire with a yellow stripe pin 48? Any help would be appreciated. 1996 Ranger 2.3, no A/C, 2WD. Thanks

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
You can tap into the wire coming out of the 'puter at the firewall (find the color and confirm pin number) OR just tap into the test tach terminal right on the main power distribution box in the engine bay. It has a single wire running to it, I've been hooked up like this for YEARS.

James

jlloyd

Reaction score
When you find it, a picture would be great.A few of us are having the same trouble.

ZackB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can tap into the wire coming out of the 'puter at the firewall (find the color and confirm pin number) OR just tap into the test tach terminal right on the main power distribution box in the engine bay. It has a single wire running to it, I've been hooked up like this for YEARS.

James
Do you think you could be more specific? Thanks

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
Ok, the puter is the black box that is just slightly to the passenger side on the firewall when you are looking at the truck. You'll see a mass of wires coming out of it and running to the right. It may be taped up and you'll have to peel some of that back to find your wire. The color stays consistant. Once you find that wire, just confirm that it is the right one by checking the number in the wire harness that plugs into the puter. The harness has all the numbers on it, you may need a flashlight thought to actually notice them.

The main power diatribution box is between the brake booster and starter relay. It's a black box that has the main relays for your truck. IIRC there are two teminals that are connected to the outside of it. One of them is a single wire that is the color you are looking for. It's called the test tach terminal. It is the one on the side of the distritution box (the other one is in the front). I just spliced in there right before the terminal.

I can take a pic for you and e-mail it if you are still are unsure of the connection.

James

Last edited:

erik2282

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0Lv6
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 2000 3.0 v6 ranger with no factory tach. I am wanting to know if this will also work for my truck. thank you

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
I would think the theory would be the same. You just need to find out if the color code is the same and look for the test terminal.

I think most of the time a cluster w/tach can be installed in place of your non-tach ones. That's is also an option.

James

Zer0PSI

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Look for the DIS box under the intake manifold on the drivers side. Just splice into the yellow/tan wire coming out of the connector.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals