• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

***PLEASE HELP***Very Dissapointed 1989 Ford Ranger GT Owner / Build Sheet / Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

1989RangerGT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi all, I recently bought a 1989 Ford Ranger GT and It stated it on the Title when I bought it. When I transfered it to my name the BMV removed the GT from the title and I caught it but they said they couldn't do anything since there computers didn't go back that far or show it as a GT. Do you think they just messed up or I have a Cloned GT I got the build sheet it only states a STX package and all the option's it would've had. I have a photo copy of the original title that stated GT the build sheet and pictures of the truck any suggestions to getting the title to state GT again or am I out of luck or is there another route I need to pursue? Please Help guys! Also SHOPFORDGEARdotCOM told me I'd get to see the production numbers of all the RAngers in the year my truck was produced and nowhere on this "Deluxe" build sheet does it say Ranger GT production numbers......

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
.......or am I out of luck or is there another route I need to pursue?
Happens all the time, only way to fix THEIR mistake is to void everything (turn in plates, etc) & start anew with different clerk, of course-

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i knew a bit of this but its escaping me.

we have some info in the tech library and i think there is a forum site elsewhere that is just these types of things...

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
What is the point of having the title say GT?

Make a difference in auto insurance claims? If that is the concern make sure auto insurance has it identified as a GT, I don't think they are limited by what the state agency puts down.

Is it cause of collecting value provenance? I am no expert on how any serious collector would look at a state document as far as provenance. If it is the only thing you have I suppose it could make a difference but I don't know if it would be definitive. I would think it would be reflected in the vin or other documents which makes the motor vehicle listing irrelevant.

I noticed when I registered my 87 BII a couple years ago they didn't put it in the same truck/SUV category that my explorer is and my former BIIs were. So my registration costs me only about half what it should. I am not complaining.

KnockKnock

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, if you're using government docs to validate/verify a trim package, you're doing it wrong. But still, if you're insistent, then det107's right...
Happens all the time, only way to fix THEIR mistake is to void everything (turn in plates, etc) & start anew with different clerk, of course-

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Hi all, I recently bought a 1989 Ford Ranger GT and It stated it on the Title when I bought it. When I transfered it to my name the BMV removed the GT from the title and I caught it but they said they couldn't do anything since there computers didn't go back that far or show it as a GT. Do you think they just messed up or I have a Cloned GT I got the build sheet it only states a STX package and all the option's it would've had. I have a photo copy of the original title that stated GT the build sheet and pictures of the truck any suggestions to getting the title to state GT again or am I out of luck or is there another route I need to pursue? Please Help guys! Also SHOPFORDGEARdotCOM told me I'd get to see the production numbers of all the RAngers in the year my truck was produced and nowhere on this "Deluxe" build sheet does it say Ranger GT production numbers......
Run a vin number check on it, check the door jam for the code. That will clear it up. Sounds like you got an STX since the build sheet says it.

1989RangerGT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

It should say GT on the Title since it did origianlly when I bought It and the "Deluxe" build sheet I got from Ford that claimed I'd see the total number of Ford Ranger GT's for this year isn't even on the build sheet. So do they not have any records on these trucks

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You should have kept the original title and then filed for a lost title.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I hate people. This thread makes it worse.

1989RangerGT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I couldn't have kept the original title that stated RANGER GT ....I had to put the truck into my name......& ADSM08 why would you state that about my thread? I'm just wanting to get to the bottom of a small FORD investment. Or wasn't you raised like most Americans to "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
ADSM08 why would you state that about my thread?
Because I spend all day dealing with crazy people who suffer from a severe form of entitlement complex. They want everything, they want it now, they want it for free, and they will and do call our owners when don't get all of that and a bowl of ice cream.

The bulk of what I have taken away from this thread is that you are upset because when the DMV issued the new title in your name they left off the letter that denote the trim package. Classic American entitlement complex.

Or wasn't you raised like most Americans to "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"
Mama tried, bless her, but it just didn't stick.

Honestly, I'm not a bad guy. I try to be helpful, but I have some minor, localized brain damage from head injuries. It affects my temperament and ability to filter what I say.

1989RangerGT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
As far as the DMV goes just like I disputed with them If I would have made one change/mistake on the Title they would not have issued the Title to me in my name. Since they removed something that was important to me from the Title, I wasn't asking them to put something on the Title that wasn't it already on it. Just keep it the way it was when I bought it. Since they wouldn't and claimed there computer system doesn't go back that far, and said the only way they'd put it back on is I could get something official from Ford stating it's a GT package. Now here is where I'm at still no good help yet. I will accept it if it's not one of the "GT" package trucks I just want a few answers.

Myanarchy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If they want something official from ford why are you asking here? Surely you have a dealership locally with a service dept. who would be more than happy to print your specs out based on your vin tag.

Perhaps a phone call asking, " Sir I believe I have a 1989 Ford Ranger GT. What digit in the vin denotes a gt model?"

When he says for example the 5th digit would be a Q for a gt model, you pick up your title. Go to the vin portion, and count over to the 5th digit to see if in fact it has a Q there.

Last edited:

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Not to sound snide but why is it such a big deal? In Illinois, my title states "2001 Ford Ranger" but it's an Edge sub-model. I get it that the Ranger GTs are rare but to a State's Motor Vehicle Department, it's not important. If your truck truly is a Ranger GT, the VIN/Built Sheet will indicate it as such. You still have your provenience but the title doesn't make the distinction. Some States simply won't do what you think is right because, to them, it's not important (even though the previous title indicated 'Ranger GT'). You may be spending a lot of time/effort on a fruitless crusade. The title isn't going to be the end-all-be-all document here, the VIN & Build Sheet are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals